Mummy to lose $95 million

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
http://deadline.com/2017/06/the-mummy-tom-cruise-box-office-bomb-loss-1202114482/

Well that's the end of the DUCU, losing that chunk of change probably kills the whole thing dead. Maybe Tom Cruise should give Mr Feige a call if he wants to be a domestic draw again.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Well, what did they expect? They had Tom Cruise call Russel Crowe "old man" in the movie, even though Cruise is older.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Queen Michael said:
Well, what did they expect? They had Tom Cruise call Russel Crowe "old man" in the movie, even though Cruise is older.
Oh my god he actually is.

TIL he's somehow a year older despite the fact neither looks it.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Ezekiel said:
Good. The trailer looked grey (desaturated), overly serious and depressing. I don't know what they were expecting after the pulpy, humorous 1999 Brendan Frasier movie got such a favorable reaction from the public.
i honestly thought it was a new mission impossible movie at first, it looked so similar in the trailer.

how dare they do that to the mummy .. the original and the bredan frasier one

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Wait! The Tom Cruise movie with The Enchantress from Suicide Squad bombed. I am heartbroken.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Problem was it was a comedy movie. It was funny. They made dick and fart jokes, got punched in the balls, had awkward silences when the mummy kisses someone, etc...

It was a Bruce Campbell movie. Hell, set it in the 30s and it would have made a fine Fraiser era mummy movie.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
Just even more proof that those women hating misogynerds will try and keep women out of every role. Even if it is as the villain.
Which is quite surprising since most of them see women as the ultimate evil.

Silentpony said:
Problem was it was a comedy movie. It was funny. They made dick and fart jokes, got punched in the balls, had awkward silences when the mummy kisses someone, etc...
Wait, what? Seriously?
That is not the tone that I saw in the trailers. Like at all.
Maybe in the silly one where they fucked up the sound.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Dornedas said:
Just even more proof that those women hating misogynerds will try and keep women out of every role. Even if it is as the villain.
Which is quite surprising since most of them see women as the ultimate evil.

Silentpony said:
Wait, what? Seriously?
That is not the tone that I saw in the trailers. Like at all.
Maybe in the silly one where they fucked up the sound.
Well I guess more accurately, its a comedic script. There are clear jokes, and laugh pauses. But no one in the movie acts like its a comedy. Everyone is played serious and straight, and we're expected to not laugh at the time Tom kicked a zombie in the nuts and it makes an 'Eeep!' sound as it falls over, clutching itself. I mean for fucks sake, there's a comedic ghost sidekick who makes boob jokes!

it'd be like if you took the Army of Darkness script, replaced Bruce Campbell with...Tommy Lee Jones, and then told everyone to just play it super serious. It still has jokes, but they're terrible. Tommy with his grumpy grandpa face saying he has a boomstick, and shop S-Mart.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008

Imhotep wishes to convey his amusement for this unsurprising bit of news.

So do I.

irishda

Dec 16, 2010
That's a shame. I'm no fan of shared universes, but I didn't find the movie terrible by any stretch. It was more humorous than people expected and it had more well drawn characters than some more popular movies. In all honesty, this script was on par with most of the superhero movies right now, so really if it had a Marvel name in the opener and Tom Cruise wore spandex, this movie would have a $200 million dollar weekend.

Ezekiel said:
Good. The trailer looked grey (desaturated), overly serious and depressing. I don't know what they were expecting after the pulpy, humorous 1999 Brendan Frasier movie got such a favorable reaction from the public.
Yeah, all those shots in the desert and Egypt and the museum and everywhere it's not London or the woods at night or a crypt sure looked colorless.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Every time I watch a movie in a theater, most people there look younger than me, so what's the target audience for this movie? I'm guessing most people in their teens/early 20's, maybe even 30's, don't really care about Tom Cruise or his movie star status. I know I don't. I watch movies like Oblivion and Edge of Tomorrow because they look like OK sci-fi movies, not because of Tom Cruise. This Mummy movie just looks bad.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
They've tried three times now to kick-start a Marvel-style expanded universe. Dracula Untold, I, Frankenstein, and now The Mummy. They've managed to do even worse than Warner Bros. has with DC. At least the DC films actually made money.

I don't know why they bothered trying to make C-grade solo films that tie into a bigger expanded universe. Everyone already knows who freakin' Dracula is, he's Dracula. They should've just made a sequel to Van Helsing. That's already a glorious crossover clusterfuck of a film; their work was already done for them.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Huh. Any reviews up yet? This was one of the films i was in danger of being taken to see this summer.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
FalloutJack said:

Imhotep wishes to convey his amusement for this unsurprising bit of news.

So do I.

Agreed. The remake looked so lifeless and dull.

gigastar said:
Huh. Any reviews up yet? This was one of the films i was in danger of being taken to see this summer.
Here is a great one from Double Toasted

<spoiler=Double Toasted>
Which is funny, because before the review, they made a video saying why the Dark Universe would succeed. That opinion changed within couple weeks after finally seeing the movie.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
bastardofmelbourne said:
I don't know why they bothered trying to make C-grade solo films that tie into a bigger expanded universe. Everyone already knows who freakin' Dracula is, he's Dracula. They should've just made a sequel to Van Helsing. That's already a glorious crossover clusterfuck of a film; their work was already done for them.
Because the old monster movies were technically doing shared universes before it was cool? Where do you think Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman came from? And Abbot and Costello met Frankenstein, the Invisible Man, Jekyll and Hyde, the Mummy...

Plus, you know, there's a certain appeal to setting up a mash of monsters.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
CoCage said:
We are so amused, in fact, that AFTER we finished honoring Adam West by watching Batman, we're going to watch the ACTUAL Mummy movies that were ACTUALLY good.

...obviously, Imhotep will be there only in spirit, but I digress: Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise Crazy.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
>_> I'm actually really pissed at Universal for this. Ahmanet alone had huge potential as an interesting sexy antagonist and we get this shit. Because of this, we're probably never gonna see her again.

ArcaneGamer

Dec 21, 2014
Zontar said:
Queen Michael said:
Oh my god he actually is.

TIL he's somehow a year older despite the fact neither looks it.
...Jesus, really? 0_0 I like the idea of Crowe being the Dark Universe's Nick Fury, but the film itself looks terrible.

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
A terrible remake loosing a butt-ton of money? Great news! Maybe It'll encourage people to try to come up with something new. Seriously, it's getting out of hand.