Murdered: Soul Suspect Review - Go Into The Light Already

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Murdered: Soul Suspect Review - Go Into The Light Already

It may have an interesting premise, but Murdered: Soul Suspect missed out on many opportunities to really shine.

Read Full Article

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Been heavily looking forward to this game. After seeing this review though it makes me wonder if I am going to be disappointed with it. I'm not sure if I want to buy the game or just rent it for my PS4.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
It just seemed plain ol' plain from the get-go. The moment I saw the picture that was going on the box, I thought, "Oh, a game." Reading into the mechanics didn't instill a great deal of exuberance, so at the very least I was hoping something interesting would be done with the theme, but it doesn't seem that was the case. I hope some games take a cue from this and pull more inspiration out of what could be done with detective-style games.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
This game sounded like a weird idea from the start and looked pretty crap when Andrea was playing it. Maybe it will go down as one of those big wasted potential games but I'm not sure it really had any.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
So the gist of it is - the story is fine, the game mechanics and pacing is clunky?

If it's that so, I'm gonna buy it anyway on Friday, when it'll hit shelves in Europe. I'm a huge sucker for the detective and paranormal stories, so for that alone this game has enough of my interest to pick it up. Heck, I'm one of those 10 people on the planet who actually liked Beyond: Two Souls, so there's quite a chance the negatives pointed out in this review (and other as well, I'm scanning metacritic right now, most reviews are in the same vibe) won't bother me that much.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well, sounds like something I'll pick up when it's cheap then, as the premise still intrigues me enough to give it a look at some point.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Uuuugh, another wasted opportunity, it seems like.

So is there actually a GOOD PC murder mystery game out there? That isn't a randomized character text game that I made myself? If anybody has any suggestions, put 'em in the comments please. (I specify the PC because I don't have any of the consoles.)

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
TheMadDoctorsCat said:

So is there actually a GOOD PC murder mystery game out there? That isn't a randomized character text game that I made myself? If anybody has any suggestions, put 'em in the comments please. (I specify the PC because I don't have any of the consoles.)
Fellow murder mystery genre fan here. Personally, from PC titles I liked the Cognition series:

Emergency link, because I'm not sure, if I posted it right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNoHoUjE6M

EDIT: Of course I messed it up. How do you make those tags working?

EDIT 2: And now it's fixed. Thanks, 2fish!

It has it's own problems (mostly bugs, resulting in awkward character movement from time to time, and graphics could be more polished), but I was satisfied overall. The premise is intriguing (FBI investigator who can see events involving the object's past by touching it, and uses this ability to catch serial killers), the story has its fair share of interesting turns of events, and the mysteries are reasonable enough to figure them out along with the main heroine, but more in "Ah-hah! I was right, I'm so smart." way, rather than "OMG, it's so obvious that it was that person".

Also, let's not bury Murdered by this one review. I'll have more thoughts on the subject during weekend, after I'll pick it up on Friday. After checking countless reviews on metacritic, as well as user opinions, it looks like the story itself is good (even if one-time only), but the game is dragged down by a sub-par execution of gameplay elements, and pacing could be better. Sure, that's sad, but in my opinion, murder mystery lives or dies by the story and it's presentation, and I heard more good than bad about this aspect of the game.

Cheers!

Jhooud

Someone's Dad
Nov 29, 2011
That's too bad, but if it shows up on Plus then I'd guess it would be worth playing through for the story.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Fixed the video for you. I will also be getting murdered as the story sounds good enough to me from multiple reviews. I did not look at this game for gameplay.
Yossarian1507 said:
TheMadDoctorsCat said:

Fellow murder mystery genre fan here. Personally, from PC titles I liked the Cognition series:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvNoHoUjE6M[/youtube]

Emergency link, because I'm not sure, if I posted it right:
EDIT: Of course I messed it up. How do you make those tags working?
If you quote me you can see what I did to the video to make it show up.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Will wait till it's dirt cheap then!

thanks as always for saving my money

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
Aaaaw, was hoping for something closer to Ghost Trick.
Will propably skip this one then.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Last E3 I was really hype for Remember Me, Watch Dogs, Murdered: Soul Suspect and Transistor - well I really liked Transistor...

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
This seems to me like one of those games that suffered because a lot of resources were wasted in making it for more systems than it was necessary. Not every game needs to be on next-gen consoles. At least not right away.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Aw damn I was really looking forward to this one too!
Why is it that Ghost Trick is still the only game that took the idea of being a ghost and solving your own murder and made it work? It's such a cool premise and there's so much opportunity there, but it it's always fumbley in the execution.

I'll probably still play it eventually, but I'll wait for a price drop.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
If you want to play a detective game there is the blackwell series on gog. A modern game done in the old school point and click way.