Music ideas for game night

Saint of M

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2020
Country
United States
Most of us have like music. Alot of us like music durring game night to set the mood. So what are some good excamples of stuff to have.

Try to have no more than ten per post so you don't overwhelm and say what kind of setting they could be good for.

1. Within Temptation (Fantasy mostly, but sci fi is also a good choice with some of the songs). I know, I know, for those of you that have heard of the band low fruit hanging. A symphic metal band, they have good songs, but they would be perfect for a bunch of different settings.

2. The Skyrim SOundtrack (Primarily Fantasy): Another low fruit hanging. Most of it is pretty atmosphiric, but it has good songs for exploring, fighting, fighting bossess, being in the tavern, and oh so many renditions of Dragonborn.

3. The Hu (Fantasy mostlY): A Mongolian metal band, that use traditional instraments in their work. They have grown quite popular, with vertions of their songs having Lindsy Hale and Jaccoby Shaddix of Papa Roach on their songs.

4. Starset (Scifi): THeir main gimmick is having a scifi or science slant to their music, so a scifi setting works well for them. Add the songs are actualy good, they are worth a listen.

5. God of Waar by Dirty Wormz and featuring Tech N9ne (when every you need something with pure aggression). I cant say much for the rest of their music, but if you need a song that is all about ripping a foe in half with your bare hands, this is the song for you. THey drop a couple of F bombs in it so not while your Grandma is around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Country
USA
Funny you should ask, actually. Not so long ago, I heard a story about someone running a False Hydra campaign on tabletop, and it included a few of the songs they'd use to set the mood of the scene. Mentions were as follows:

Just need some generic fantasy sounding music? Lord of the Rings soundtrack (too many to list, and you know you heard some of them in your head as soon as you read the title)

Understated creepy atmosphere? Orchestral version of Lavender Town (Pokemon)

Upping the anticipatory tension? 28 Days Later theme, Resident Evil (movie) theme

Group's doing well? Sunshine theme.

Requiem for a Dream (reasons not explained)

Things heating up? The Beginning is the End is the Beginning (as in the Watchmen movie), Nightmare on Elm Street (remix)

Reactions: Saint of M

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Plano, TX
Country
United States
3. The Hu (Fantasy mostlY): A Mongolian metal band, that use traditional instraments in their work. They have grown quite popular, with vertions of their songs having Lindsy Hale and Jaccoby Shaddix of Papa Roach on their songs.

If ever there was a genre made for throat singing, it's metal. How this didn't happen sooner blows my mind.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Are you looking for atmospheric stuff? Overworld sort of music, battle music, just something lengthy/with a lot of similar songs to play in the background and leave it be for a long period of time? I have a lot of ideas, but an idea of exactly what kind of stuff you're looking for would help narrow it down a bit

Saint of M

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2020
Country
United States
If ever there was a genre made for throat singing, it's metal. How this didn't happen sooner blows my mind.
I think one of them, or at least one of the Mongolian Metal singers was even used in Doom Eternal. Bathesday realized to have an epic corus in this heavy metal laden game, you needed heavy metal singers, and one of them had the throaty Mongolian style.
Are you looking for atmospheric stuff? Overworld sort of music, battle music, just something lengthy/with a lot of similar songs to play in the background and leave it be for a long period of time? I have a lot of ideas, but an idea of exactly what kind of stuff you're looking for would help narrow it down a bit

Mostly picking up stuff that might be good, any situation, while giveing others ideas as well.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Country
USA
So, just stumbled on something that may be 'too obvious'. Have you seen Tabletop Audio? Seems to do a mix of music and sound effects for atmosphere, with each 'track' seeming to be 10 minutes long. And personally, I kinda like its style.