Music is dead....

lSHaDoW-FoXl

Jul 17, 2008
Music is not dead. You're just looking in all the wrong places. Besides, I don't really know your taste in music. I have quite a diverse taste in music and with that said taste I was able to find quite a diverse library. I'm not really going to share any of my tastes with you though, because music is a certain subject which not too many people will agree on too often.

Talens

Nov 10, 2009
rosemystica said:
Just keep looking.

I actually found out about a cool new blues guy from watching Top Gear. Dude named Seasick Steve. He's awesome. :D
Steve is fantastic Live mate, if you like him do your best to go see him. Didn't realise he appeared on top gear thats cool

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
You must widen your gaze to something other than Top40 stuff

Try soundtracks, or obscure stuff no-one would ever find otherwise

Pacerman

Nov 18, 2009
Music isn't dead, it's changing. If music snobs like you can't keep up, then prepared to become one of those old people who "shake it" to their old people music while youngsters roll their eyes.

ethan22122

Dec 18, 2009
I hardly listen to mainstream music, all the music on the radio these days just suck.
I normally listen to some decent old songs, or some good songs from new bands.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Hellz_Barz said:
Good music never dies it just goes underground. you just gotta search harder man.
Got it in one.
It does bug me a bit how people come on here claiming to hate all music post 1989, but it does mean other people post some cool stuff that I've never heard before.

OP: try Devin Townsends last album, Addicted!. The guy plays most of the instruments himself, records and produces it all himself too. Go listen to it, it is the most well produced album you will EVER hear. Yet I rarely come across people who've heard of him :(

EDIT:!!!!
darkstone said:
Sorry I can't hear you over how awesome this Devin Townsend song is; good music isn't dead it just gets buried underneath all that samey pop shit.
I must have skim-read past you, you lovely lovely person! :)

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Sinclose said:
You have to look in the right places. There's a highly talented, more 'underground' artist known as Ronald Jenkees.

Still think music is dead?
Well I didn't before...

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Timotei said:
Kimarous said:
As far as I'm concerned, anyone who says "(subject) is dead" is narrow-minded.
What if they are talking about Mayan civilization prior to Spanish conquistadors?
Luckily it is possible to be narrow-minded and correct at the same time! Narrow-minded does not automatically equal wrong, that's just a stigma we've got because of all those conservative types ;-)

OT: Watching the UK Top 40 on TV is pretty damn depressing, I'll admit. Most of the songs sound the same - girl dancing in her underwear and saying 'baby' a lot, guy singing a soulful tune about...something, I don't know, Bieber types mixing "rap" with whatever it is he does, Lady Gaga doing....again, I really don't know. ***** be crazy, yo. Whatever it is she's doing, a lot of people are copying her now. The whole 'pop music' thing is a serious of fads, as someone makes it big and everyone else rushes to copy them. In a few years, it'll be something else.

Where was I going with that? Oh yeah. Mainstream music is not all music. Getting to the top of the charts just means that an artist has hit with the key 'tween girls' and 'people who like ringtones' demographics. It doesn't matter if critics love them - the critics reviled the first few Led Zeppelin albums, in a move I would call "really, really stupid". Critics are meaningless when it comes to music, because it's such an individual taste. Just get off the beaten path, check out the music that doesn't get played so much on the radio, and you'll find something you like.

GotMalkAvian

Feb 4, 2009
I think the truth is that music in the media is dead. Radio, MTV, and music journalism are all complete crap now. There's still good music out there, but it's becoming increasingly hard to find. Searching for new music by genres you enjoy is definitely a good place to start.

SpecklePattern

May 5, 2010
shadowstriker86 said:
... How long has it been dead, seriously? ...
So we don't have conversation on this huh? Kinda narrow minded to put your hopes on Youtube :D. And hardly music is dead. You are just not looking from right places or you don't know what you are looking. The more than you look and don't find, you start thinking you will not find it and thus will not find it. Today we have multiple portals to share and many ways to produce music. I agree that the amount of music that is produced these days makes it hard to find good music, but we have it. And as "good" is an opinion, you just need to find it.

rosemystica

Jan 24, 2010
Talens said:
rosemystica said:
Just keep looking.

I actually found out about a cool new blues guy from watching Top Gear. Dude named Seasick Steve. He's awesome. :D
Steve is fantastic Live mate, if you like him do your best to go see him. Didn't realise he appeared on top gear thats cool
Yeah, he appeared at the end of series 14 as the Star in a Reasonably-Priced Car. :D

I must be on the lookout to see if he's performing in the US anytime soon... XD

Meemaimoh

Aug 20, 2009
I don't understand how anyone can hear Lady Gaga and believe pop music is dead. Sure, it may not be your thing - it really isn't mine, either - but in terms of quality pop music, it's right up there.

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
"Punk is dead, and I fucking killed it." - Billie Joe Armstrong

OT: As so many people have said, music itself isn't dead. But pop is a zombie waiting to gnaw your brains out. Listen to something WORTH listening to. Like Steve Conte and the Crazy Truth.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Now wait a minute! Lady Ga Ga isn't bad. Also, Youtube is huge and there are good music in there.