Music of Nerd Culture

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
you should use the big bang theory theme

i watch that show and its hilarious and im such a nerd lolz schrodinger higgs boson heisenberg manhattan project

In reality, I'd suggest most songs from 80's cartoons and/or Star Trek. There's bound to be some stuff in there that'll hit the heartstrings of nerd culture.

Ultra Man30

Nov 20, 2009
I would think of the Homestuck music as a bit nerdy.

Also the Golden Age of Video is just a song made entirely out of movie quotes.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Really? I gotta be the one to say it?

Like it or not, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic covers quite a chunk of the nerd spectrum at this time.
And most of the music is just that damn good. Like this track, for example.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Voltaire would be quite a good one if you're looking for something relevant but different.

You might recognise this one:

If not it was from a show called "The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy". If you want the story on how he made it, look up his video on how to play it, by him. He explains it at the start of that video.

He has also (and is releasing the second of) released an album called Bitrektual. It's basically sci-fi and sex references jammed all into one and they're genius. Check them out if you think you'll be allowed to play them over the radio.

Greater Evil

Apr 18, 2009
Sinclair Solutions said:
planning to do a show about nerd culture on our college radio channel
If you don't know what the music of nerd culture is already maybe you shouldn't be planning a show on it hmmmm?
Not that nerd culture is or ever has been one cohesive or coherently defined term. It's worse than both emo and hipster

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Probably one of nerdiest bands ever. They write songs entirely about LoL and they're known as The Yordles.

Epic.

The infuriating Remove Scurvy:

A tribute to the beast that is Lee Sin:

A song lamenting troll picks:

Riven <3

Rivenroth skin RIOT PLS

Irelia song pls kthx

I would post some P4 action but Neon beat me to it...

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Second post because i'm forgetful

Oh hell. How has this not come up yet?

Well that's about it. Thread adjorned!

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
Greater Evil said:
Sinclair Solutions said:
planning to do a show about nerd culture on our college radio channel
If you don't know what the music of nerd culture is already maybe you shouldn't be planning a show on it hmmmm?
Not that nerd culture is or ever has been one cohesive or coherently defined term. It's worse than both emo and hipster
We know what it is (and have many shows planned), but we are just looking for suggestions for songs for games or movies we have not played or seen. We play many games, but we can't play or know them all. We are just looking for people's personal favorites. And as for the term "nerd culture," I just couldn't think of any other term. If you have a better one, let me know.

Mr.Philip

Jul 26, 2012
I've always thought the band 'They Might Be Giants' kind of fit the nerd culture.
Also this,

Also, my favorite song from GTA:SanAndreas is Tom Petty's Runnin' Down a Dream (So maybe that too)

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Gottesstrafe said:
What the fuck did I just watch? Thanks for giving me nightmares.

Anyway, pretty much anything by Machinae Supremacy. Not only are a lot of their songs about video games, but these songs are also really, really good.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
You should play Weird Al music. And maybe get a bunch of video game soundtracks to use as well.

Oh and maybe you'll want to send this guy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/MiracleOfSound] a PM. I'm sure he has a song or two about games. ;)

0ctopusPrime

Sep 19, 2012
Persona 4 has some EXCELLENT music if you're into Engrish J-Pop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsHwXoedp-8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92TEFF4WC54&feature=related

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Sinclair Solutions said:
OK, I'll try to make this as less of a advertising campaign as possible, but if I go over the line, just let me know and I'll edit this post.

My friends and I are planning to do a show about nerd culture on our college radio channel, and while we have our shows and songs lined up for the upcoming weeks, we are looking for a large backlog of potential songs to play. We are looking for not only songs from video games, but ANYTHING from nerd culture, from a song from a video game trailer to a song from the Walking Dead to even the theme from Game of Thrones (This is why I made a new topic instead of looking at old threads; the topic here is much more broad). We are pretty much looking for anything nerd related, even if it involves a topic to discuss.

So, any help with this would be much appreciated. If you'd like to know about the show, just message me I guess. I'd rather keep it out of the forums in accordance with the rules.
All you need to do is contact TheEscapist and Gavin (MiracleOfSound) and ask if you can play his songs on the show. I guess you can but it might be nice to ask first.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
No The Protomen yet?! I am ashamed of everyone right now, they do concept albums about goddamn Mega Man ffs!

also The Adventures of Duane and Brando

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
Guffe said:
Sinclair Solutions said:
OK, I'll try to make this as less of a advertising campaign as possible, but if I go over the line, just let me know and I'll edit this post.

My friends and I are planning to do a show about nerd culture on our college radio channel, and while we have our shows and songs lined up for the upcoming weeks, we are looking for a large backlog of potential songs to play. We are looking for not only songs from video games, but ANYTHING from nerd culture, from a song from a video game trailer to a song from the Walking Dead to even the theme from Game of Thrones (This is why I made a new topic instead of looking at old threads; the topic here is much more broad). We are pretty much looking for anything nerd related, even if it involves a topic to discuss.

So, any help with this would be much appreciated. If you'd like to know about the show, just message me I guess. I'd rather keep it out of the forums in accordance with the rules.
All you need to do is contact TheEscapist and Gavin (MiracleOfSound) and ask if you can play his songs on the show. I guess you can but it might be nice to ask first.
I've mentioned before, but we already have an interview with Gavin. He was extemely polite and courteous and we are planning a whole show around his music. However, we can only play 3 or 4 songs from an artist at a time, and therefore, we need to break it up a bit with some requests. The music from this thread can be the dividers so we can have a Miracle of Sound show, but still follow the rules.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
I gotta big list