Music that brings you to tears

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I kind of have to be alone and let it take over but otherwise this works pretty well.

Otherwise so far no studio recording can do it, live versions of Hey Jude can do it once everybody starts doin' the "Na Na Na" sing-along part.

Ironically enough, I didn't cry at this song when I heard it live. It's always a show-closer or close to it at McCartney concerts so I might've been tired but didn't cry when I heard it live myself.
Cried like a baby with my mom through most of the concert anyway.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Only because Twelve Monkeys ended in a scene that was the polar opposite of this song. I wasn't so much crying but running the thought through my head "WTF DID I JUST WATCH?". The answer of course being, a closed time loop, inevitability.

I have to second Mike & The Mechanics - The Living Years. There was this short-lived show with Robert Englund, Nightmare Cafe, in which some people were stuck in a form of purgatory that was an overnight diner. The last episode before the show's cancellation featured this song in the context of one of the characters visiting his father right before his death. Great show but as with anything supernatural on network tv, it didn't last long.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009

I doesn't really make me cry, but the whole of Tallahassee makes me sombre/angry.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
This song has been around forever. But I only recently realized it's about being in a relationship with an alcoholic. Probably because someone very close to me is one.

She's sober now and doing great.

But I tear up every time I hear "Joey", because it's a perfect description of how things were.

And I'm thankful it's not like that anymore.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
One last one. It's probably one of those more expected answers maybe. But I first heard it used in the scrubs TV show which was a moment that sold me on the show and the song at the same time. (Even if one line attempts to rhyme its' last word with the exact same word as the previous line...that's cheating, naughty band!)

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Believe it or not, but I once actually shed tears when listening to the Lord of the Rings OST, specifically Into the West.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Basically any of the more intimate tracks from the Katawa Shoujo soundtrack. These in particular:

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
This song is sad enough, but if you know the backstory behind it, that will only make it worse...

Nor will having a pet, come to think of it...

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
A lot of Joe Hisaishi's work, but perhaps most prominently this. It's not entirely down to the music, but its relation to the movie. The tune just has a wonderful feeling of "everything's going to be alright". Gets me nearly every time.

In that vein, the music in the last scene of The Vision of Escaflowne also gets me. It's so grand and so final.
I haven't seen the movie (heard it's not that good), but there's something terribly melancholic about the end credits song that gets to me.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
As a matter of fact, there is a bit of VG music that brings a tear to my eye:

we...we're really overdue for a great Final Fantasy...

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:
As a matter of fact, there is a bit of VG music that brings a tear to my eye:

we...we're really overdue for a great Final Fantasy...
Hey, we had a great one recently! It was called Final fantasy x HD- not sure what the bit at the end stands for but it was top notch.

srsly though 15 had best not suck ass.

OT-

Weirdly enough I was introduced to this song via Leicester winning the premier league, but it is absolutely beautiful.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
rosac said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
Hey, we had a great one recently! It was called Final fantasy x HD- not sure what the bit at the end stands for but it was top notch.

srsly though 15 had best not suck ass.

OT-

Weirdly enough I was introduced to this song via Leicester winning the premier league, but it is absolutely beautiful.
FFXHD was pretty good and FFXV looks like it'll be downright fun.

It doesn't bring me to tears but I really, really like Sarah Brightman in general...she ages like a fine wine and I don't think I've heard anything by her that I didn't like. If anything gets me close to tears when it comes to her though...I think the title track of Eden.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Put the wrong title track for a band in early post due to thinking it was called something else, the intended track was supposed to be;