Muslim Group Criticizes LittleBigPlanet Recall

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Technically I don't think this is a freedom of choice thing because Sony is only doing it to avoid offence in an intentionally family friendly game. I would imagine hearing your holy book quoted back to you in a videogame might piss off a few parents who weren't expecting it.

If it was being withdrawn from threats I would be against this but I think this is a case where everyone needs to calm down and be reasonable. The guy who choose the song probably didn't realise.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
rossatdi post=7.74618.840607 said:
Technically I don't think this is a freedom of choice thing because Sony is only doing it to avoid offence in an intentionally family friendly game. I would imagine hearing your holy book quoted back to you in a videogame might piss off a few parents who weren't expecting it.

If it was being withdrawn from threats I would be against this but I think this is a case where everyone needs to calm down and be reasonable. The guy who choose the song probably didn't realise.
The guy who wrote the song WAS A MUSLIM. A devout one too, by all counts.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
Mstrswrd post=7.74618.840550 said:
Well, I'm amazed that someone, from any religion, came out and said something like this. I can't imagine he'd be too popular with other Muslims right now, but good-on-him.
Well, that's assuming that other Muslims all feel that the game should have been censored. I'd bet that most would have taken a moderate stance to the whole affair.

PAGEToap44

Jul 16, 2008
L.B. Jeffries post=7.74618.840479 said:
*edit*

And while we're at it, I demand that at least one game feature a Scottish person that doesn't have a beard.
Fable- some of the NPCs. Apart from that we are the bearded wonders of the world. Why are all dwarfs in films and games Scottish?

Hunde Des Krieg

Sep 30, 2008
Well, I'm amazed that someone, from any religion, came out and said something like this. I can't imagine he'd be too popular with other Muslims right now, but good-on-him.
South park said this, It was the whole point of the Cartoon Wars plot, it wasn't about LBP but, same concept

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Most of them probably agree with him, frankly. Especially given, as I said, a Muslim wrote the song in the first place.

lawdjayee

Dec 13, 2007
In addition to this being just one person...it's also board poster. Who could have been anyone. There are PLENTY of right-wing American nuts who slaver over every perceived endorsement of either a) a religion besides Christianity or b) religious freedom in general.

I think this is just weird. Something else (one poster?!? ONE?!?) must be going on.

Tolkienfanatic

Jul 24, 2008
Finally someone has an actually good opinion on this... bravo for speaking out against your idiotic compatriots, Mr. Jasser.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
So they delayed the game because a couple of people got pissed about it? When most of them don't care at all?

The logic here just astounds me.

Denmarkian

Feb 1, 2008
"Freedom of Speech" is only guaranteed in the American Bill of Rights, in America.

Every other country has their own sets of rules that give people the rights to do certain things.

From Sony's standpoint, it's a practical business decision. Do you forget the cries of "Racism" when Capcom set Resident Evil 5 in Africa?

For all the English speakers, religious ones especially, how would you react if a game designed to be accessible to everyone had the song lyrics, "And those who have sinned shall suffer and burn in the hell-fires for all eternity"?

Would you not send a concerned letter to the designer or publishing company telling them that there are objectionable lyrics in the game?

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
I'm offended that they're releasing the game. Can they not? Or if they'll just pay me some money I'll be happy.

Seriously, is this how things work in Sony's world?

TheDean

Sep 12, 2008
pathetic. Why do Muslims seem to think they have the right to not be offended anyway?

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Zuhdi Jasser speaks eloquently and wisely on freedom of speech, and the fact that if one is offended by something in a capitalist society they can proclaim it by not buying the offending product. Hats off to him for stepping in to say 'This is not the voice of my faith, honestly we're not THAT pissed off.'

Terrorism only works if you let yourself be afraid. This was one guy, who only said he was offended, and Sony chicken shitted out because he was Muslim. If anything that's paranoia and racism on the part of the Sony Bigwigs.

"A MUSLIM!? ONOEZ HE'S GONNA SET US UP THE BOMB! DELAY THE GAME!"

Their reaction, based on it's speed and extremity, was clearly fueled by the news of the day and a belief that Muslim = Explosions.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
I'm suprised that ANYONE is getting offended by this game, I mean, cmon, the game doesn't even have a story line, you make levels and then play them, what could possibly be offensive about that?

ianuam

Aug 28, 2008
Freedom of speech, unless what you're saying happens to offend someone who follows a faith. Fantastic isn't it! /sarcasm. As the guy from the lobbying group says, if you don't like it, don't buy it. Just don't expect to stop everyone else from playing the game.