"Must have" games for the 3DS

SteveTR

May 4, 2012
So, I got 3DS for Christmas and I'm planning to buy some games for it (otherwise, owning it would have no point, really). Which ones would you guys recommend? Yes, I already own Super Mario 3D Land and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (also, Batman Arkham City Blackgate, but I don't suppose many people would recommend THAT).

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance is a great game, kinda annoying in some ways but it's still fun. Also, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon is a must have for you that's for sure.
If you like Sonic then Sonic Lost World on the 3DS is a bit better than the Wii U version if you ask me.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
I recently picked up Bravely Default on my 3DS which is utterly amazing and is one of the best turn based RPGs I've played. Its a Final Fantasy game in every aspect but the name, adopting a style of gameplay very similar to the old 'classic' Final Fantasy games with some fresh mechanics added in to spice the game up. I strongly recommend it.

Also I consider Fire Emblem: Awakening, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Virtue's Last Reward and Rune Factory 4 to be pretty essential.

Edit: Oh yeah, Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies is as close to perfect as it gets, if you're into the genre.

SeeIn2D

May 24, 2011
I unfortunately don't have a 3DS but from what I hear, Pokemon X and Y are possibly the two best in the series. I would recommend those even having not played them.

SteveTR

May 4, 2012
SlaveNumber23 said:
I recently picked up Bravely Default on my 3DS which is utterly amazing and is one of the best turn based RPGs I've played. Its a Final Fantasy game in every aspect but the name, adopting a style of gameplay very similar to the old 'classic' Final Fantasy games with some fresh mechanics added in to spice the game up. I strongly recommend it.
This sounds interesting. I enjoy pre-Final Fantasy VII-like RPGs, so I'll definitely give this game a try. I saw it last week in Germany, and the cover art caught my attention, but I didn't really know much about the game and the boxart was in German, so I didn't really find out what it is. So thank you for that!

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Resident Evil Revelations it was so good that Capcom ported it to the consoles. That's probably the first time that a Handheld game has gotten ported to the consoles because it was better then the console iterations. People say its best resident Evil game since 4. It also shows off the power of the 3DS because the Graphics aren't that much different then the PS3, 360 and Wii U. I imagine the load times on the 3DS are longer.

Ignignokt

May 7, 2009
SlaveNumber23 said:

Also I consider Fire Emblem: Awakening, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Virtue's Last Reward and Rune Factory 4 to be pretty essential.
Bravely Default is out? Amazon says it isn't released until Feb 7th. Do you guys get it earlier?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
SteveTR said:
So, I got 3DS for Christmas and I'm planning to buy some games for it (otherwise, owning it would have no point, really). Which ones would you guys recommend? Yes, I already own Super Mario 3D Land and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (also, Batman Arkham City Blackgate, but I don't suppose many people would recommend THAT).
Well what kind of games do you usually play.

if you Like JRPGs it has a lot of good ones of those. Etrian Odessy 4, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, ect.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
SteveTR said:
I got a 3DS for Christmas too and so far I'm really enjoying Pokemon X. The game is drop dead gorgeous and it is an extremely polished and refined entry into the series.

From what people have told me Shin Megami Tensei IV, Fire Emblem Awakening and Bravely Default are all great and worth looking into if you like JRPGs.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
SMT: Devil Survivor: Overclocked, SMT IV, and Pokemon X/Y. The hours and enjoyment from those three games alone justifies the purchase.

Bruce

Jun 15, 2013
Get Pokemon X or Y, and remember to patch them. Without the patch there is a pretty serious bug that can corrupt your save file.

Animal Crossing New Leaf may look like what Total Biscuit describes as a cow clicker, but it is an uncommonly good one if you are looking for a change of pace.

Slitzkin

Jul 3, 2011
Currently all I own is Fire Emblem so that is the only game I can reccomend. But hey, if you love turn based RPGs, it doesn't get better than Fire Emblem. The only thing I despise about FE is the the stupid sound bites in every cutscene. I sure do love hearing grunts and sighs all the time...

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Fire Emblem Awakening
Monster hunter 3 Ultimate

The only 2 games that I have the have more than 100 hours on it.
Phoenix wright 5 is good, but it practically have no replayability.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
SMT: Devil Survivor: Overclocked, SMT IV, and Pokemon X/Y. The hours and enjoyment from those three games alone justifies the purchase.
Seconding these choices.

And to that I'll add:

Fire Emblem Awakening

Bravely Default

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy

Kingdom Hearts 3D

Etrian Odyssey IV

And some great DS games:

Devil Survivor 2

Strange Journey

Radiant Historia

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Fire Emblem: The New One: Oh Shit This Time In 3D is... decent. The series on the whole is very mediocre, but this one is the least mediocre of the bunch! Featuring "casual" mode, letting you avoid the tedious soft-resetathon that the past games ended up being. Still rife with terrible design choices, including grind-based DLC content more or less required for the hardest modes, but the graphics are shiny, so that makes it all better right?

Pokemon X+Y are pretty much the best ones to date, featuring a story not quite as dumb as the last gen's but graphics and gameplay improved substantially, with additions including stuff like minigames you play with your pokemon to make them happy and a minigame for EV training (if you care at all about PvP battles). Also level grind has been all but removed from the game, with EXP share giving a very hefty amount of EXP to your entire team, so even a palty amount of time fighting trainers between gyms will be plenty for clearing the game.

Zelda: OoT: Another 3D release is solid. I mean, it's a remake, but the original was great, so...

I've heard good things about Etrian Odyssey, but I hated the first two, so who knows?

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Ignignokt said:
Bravely Default is out? Amazon says it isn't released until Feb 7th. Do you guys get it earlier?
I'm in Australia and its been out for about a month over here, I'm used to getting stuff and especially DS/3DS games late though.

Edit: Just checked and apparently we do get this one a couple of months earlier, which is a bit of an anomaly for Australian releases.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Star Fox 64 3D

Ocarina of Time 3D

3D Streets of Rage

Pokemon X/Y

Fire Emblem: Awakening

Senran Kagura Burst(stop looking at me like that, I genuinely find the game to be a fun brawler... if a bit repetitive)

Also if you never had a DS before it, there a few good DS games I can recommend.

Mega Man Zero collection(they're pretty hard games though, so if you don't want to break you 3DS in a fit of rage it's best to avoid it).

Okami-Den

Chrono Trigger

---

Check all those out and see which ones you may be interested in.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well the only games I have bought so far (and excluding LoZ:ALBW since you got tha game already) are-
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Anima Crossing New Leaf (be prepare to sacriface your free time if you buy this game)
Pokemon X

I am planning to buy Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and the Laytons games next.

ModReap

Gatekeeper
Apr 3, 2008
My personal favorites:
Kid Icarus Uprising (suprisingly good, however you may want to try before you buy because the control scheme is very divisive)
SMT IV
Virtues Last Reward (Pick up 999 (first game in series) for the DS and play that before you play this game!)