Mutants & Masterminds Superhero RPG Gets Bundle of Holding Debut

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Mutants & Masterminds Superhero RPG Gets Bundle of Holding Debut

Mutants & Masterminds, Green Ronin's definitive superhero tabletop game, has been featured in the Bundle of Holding with Emerald City campaign supplements.

Tabletop roleplaying games draw from a variety of genres, whether you enjoy Tolkienesque-fantasy, science-fiction, or <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133378-Delta-Green-The-RPG-of-Spies-vs-Cthulhu-Is-The-New-Bundle-of-Holding>cosmic horror. One stand-out fan favorite has always been superheroic roleplaying, thanks largely to games like Mutants & Masterminds. Now in its third edition, M&M adapted Dungeons & Dragons' traditional d20 rules into a comic book universe format, one covering everything from otherworldly protectors to gritty vigilantes. Now the Third Edition Deluxe Hero's Handbook has made its Bundle of Holding debut, complete with pregenerated characters, Gamemaster resources, and an introductory adventure in M&M's Emerald City.

Beginner players will want to start with Mutants & Masterminds: Deluxe Hero's Handbook, a revised and expanded edition of the Third Edition rules. The base bundle also includes the Gamemasters Guide and Sentinels character pack, providing more than enough resources to start superpowered campaign. Paying above the average, however, also nets two supplements for the Emerald City campaign setting: the seven-part Emerald City Knights and a Threat Report encompassing over 60 new supervillains. Finally, the Mutants & Masterminds Gamemasters's Kit bundles key charts and tables, along with a Quickstart Character Generator for whipping up unique powers and origins.

Having played M&M's Third Edition (or more accurately, <a href=http://greenroninstore.com/collections/dc-adventures>the DC Comics version of the system), I agree that it's a great choice for superheroic roleplaying. The rules and powers are versatile enough to support wildly different character types, including street-level crime fighters, World War II heroes, or the godlike beings who could annihilate armadas. Green Ronin has also published an impressive array of supplements that might (if we're lucky) be included in the Bundle at a later date. Either way, if you're in the mood for a tabletop superhero campaign, these starting materials can definitely set you in the right direction.

Source: <a href=http://bundleofholding.com/index/current>Bundle of Holding

Glaive_21842

Dec 21, 2009
And here I am, feeling like a fool for paying full price a while back. Yeah, this is an insanely good deal, and anyone who even passingly thought of picking up this game would be wise to do it now. A PHB and DMG for basically $9 is friggin highway robbery, especially for a flagship title like M&M.

Yeah, I know I'm basically just shilling this product super hard right now, but it seriously worth it!

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
How crunchy are we talking here? I played Squadron UK (British Super Heroes!) and while I loved the setting the system felt needlessly complex and served as a bit of a hurdle for getting into the spirit of things.

Jon Leitheusser

Apr 11, 2014
Hey Marshall:
Thanks for covering the M&M Bundle of Holding! I'm the Line Developer for M&M and we're really excited to be able to participate in the Bundle. I'm glad you like the game and had such nice things to say about it!

Jon Leitheusser

Apr 11, 2014
Fasckira said:
How crunchy are we talking here? I played Squadron UK (British Super Heroes!) and while I loved the setting the system felt needlessly complex and served as a bit of a hurdle for getting into the spirit of things.
M&M is of a mid-level of crunch. It's certainly less crunchy than Champions/HERO System (which I love, so that's not a rip on them), but more crunchy than ICONS. Maybe it's around the level of the old DC Heroes RPG from Mayfair, if you're familiar?

Here's a link to a "quickstart" of the rules featuring Superboy and Knockout. http://grfiles.game-host.org/3e_files/DCA_Quick_Start.pdf

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
I love that the grand high muckamuck of the game line actually came over to the escapist forums himself to answer questions. Unfortunately, I don't have a reason to pick up the bundle...because I bought everything in it separately. :p I may be a bit of a Green Ronin addict.