"Mutual Combat Laws" Let Superhero Trounce Racist

Encaen

May 6, 2005
"Mutual Combat Laws" Let Superhero Trounce Racist

Unknown to his opponent, Phoenix Jones has "a couple black belts and about 30 cage fights or so" going for him.

With police officers looking on, real-life "superhero" Phoenix Jones took to the age old method of delivering justice; pugilism. In this case, the "suspect" was accused of yelling, pounding on a car, and using racial slurs, at least as reported by the gaggle of superheroes. After confronting the "suspect" and calling 911, the band of superheroes apparently tried to walk away, but the belligerents seemed eager to follow them, prompting Phoenix Jones to eventually offer to fight.

The fighting begins at around 6:30 in the video, after roughly six and a half minutes of profuse swearing and general lollygagging, and it is clear from casual observation that Jones has some kind of combat background. Further research [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Jones] confirms that Jones does in fact hold an undefeated record in both unsanctioned, as well as professional MMA fights under the moniker "Fear the Flattop."

You may wonder why the officers didn't intervene and put a stop to the sidewalk brawl. It seems Washington has legal precedence for "mutual combat", making single combat a perfectly legal means of settling a dispute, at least to some degree. While Phoenix Jones hasn't always stuck to the letter of the law [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.317475-Seattle-superhero-Phoenix-Jones-Arrested-for-Assult], in this case, it seems he was well within his rights, as the officers seemed to be perfectly content watching them walk away, while keeping the "suspect" and his group in order. In any case, Jones insists that they had no justification to interfere, since both parties had agreed to the bout.

While it may seem glamorous, or at least humorous, I would encourage you to avoid invoking "mutual combat" yourself, barring extensive legal training, in addition to any actual martial arts experience.

Source: MyNorthwest [http://mynorthwest.com/76/2126651/Phoenix-Jones-fist-fight-video-goes-viral]

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
HA! I love that guy. Kickass meets real-real life. I am entertained.

Well, it's a dangerous profession and certainly not as glamorous as in the comic books. But hey, if it does the trick...

But I wonder if he's bulletproof. It also makes me wonder if he either has no life or if he's incredibly dumb to go and try to change the world, one criminal at a time.
Or if there's really something mentally wrong with him. *Shrugs*
But! That guy did deserve the butt kicking. I wonder if he actually uploaded his own video to Youtube.
"That one time I got my butt kicked thanks to a guy in a silly costume". Heh. I'd watch that too.

And so, Phoenix Jones' nemesis was born.

NinjaSocks333

Jul 13, 2012
Justice prevails again!

Normally i find these "real life superheroes" crazy but Phoenix Jones is a legitimate badass apparently. Good on him for standing up to that guy!

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
MUTUAAAAAAL KOMBAAAAAT!

FIGHT!

Edit: Personally, I tend towards mutual rock paper scissors, which is also perfectly legal.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
And Gotham doesn't have these Laws.....Why?

Think about it, It means that Batman is legally allowed to beat up Bad Guys and Super-Villains as they basically consent to Combat!

RandomMan01

Sep 18, 2012
Wooooowwww...not just was that entertaining, but Phoenix Jones just dominated that guy.
1 punch=instant K.O.

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
Hey man, you see that group of people who regularly dress up like superheroes and likely have at least one person who knows how to fight? Let's go up them and agree to a fight with the biggest one.

This should be a federal law.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
I find it funny that the 2nd guy wants to fight Jones after seeing his buddy get laid out in one solid punch. I stick up for my friends and stuff too, but after that show I'd think twice.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
That poor fool lost the moment he tried to imitate Jones' fighting style.

He probably would have been better off rushing in and trying to grapple him. Grappling is simple enough that an 8-year old child could do it [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfUqCiunI1Y&feature=fvst].

Im not sure if MMA has anything to deal with it, though.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Diablo1099 said:
Scars Unseen said:
MUTUAAAAAAL KOMBAAAAAT!

FIGHT!
Phoenix Jones Wins.
Flawless Victory.
Heroic Brutality!

/Yes I know MKvDC Sucked Hard.
Well, appearently, it wasnt as bad as most would believe. Im still holding out for Injustice before I play a fighter with DC characters.

OT: This is both hilarious and awesome.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
gigastar said:
Im not sure if MMA has anything to deal with it, though.
Grappling and floor fighting is a major component of MMA, and has been for years, and anyone who didn't know how to deal with it (even if it's not their preferred style) probably wouldn't have gotten very far. Trying to take an MMA fighter to the floor and not knowing what to do when you get there is a good way to end up in a chokehold or jointlock and in real trouble, especially if you're a drunk dumbass.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Isn't this called "afray" in many other jurisdictions... where it is illegal for both participants.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
You know what my favorite part of that whole thing was? When the friend ran up after they fight and started shouting "Cheap shot" in Phoenix Jones's face.

Here's how I look at it: The pavement doesn't care if it was a cheap shot or not. You're still lying on the ground either way.

I end up in a street fight, I'm pulling every dirty trick and low-blow I can get away with. Because, at the end of the day, all that matters to me is that I'm not the one bleeding on the street.

Anyways, it's always fun to see a douchebag get EXACTLY what he asks for.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
'Fear the Flattop.'

Sadly enough, that does sound like something he would do.

Well, at least he's being productive with his hobby. The rest of us just thought he was joking.

Wait a minute... *reads second time* We have dueling laws?

I must brush up on these immediately.