MW3 Changed Too Much, In My Opinion; Or, It's kinda crap!

TallestGargoyle

Oct 31, 2011
F4LL3N said:
Jesus... I have no idea where you're coming from.

1. MW3 maps are fucking huge in every sense of the word, there's not a single Rust or Scrapyard-like map in the game for a little close action fun. The closest is Dome, and that's still big. The levels have multiple stories to them, loads of little tunnels and flanks...

2. There's no such thing as balance in CoD, at least in recent titles. MW2 had the UMP45, BO had the AKS-74... Both games had selectable killstreaks that ended up decimating the other team, after that player already decimated them.

Assault rifles are meant to be powerful, they are simply powerful guns in general. While I'm still annoyed that shotguns are ineffective at 20 feet (100ft effective range would be much better). What they lack is speed, bringing them to your face and aiming them is slower than an SMG or Pistol.

3. The lag is... Yeah, I agree on this one. I couldn't even get into games half the time because the connection would drop constantly.

4. The maps are cluttered with paths and places to hide behind, that is the problem. Half agreed on this too, but it's nothing to do with spawns, just the constant clutter in the multiplayer maps. MW2 and BO maps felt a lot more open, less filled with decals and debris.

5. Every single one of those complaints applies to CoD4 onwards, besides quickscoping in BO.

6. Try Kill Confirmed, instead of normal TDM. It vastly boosts teamwork, forcing players to stay near each other to deny kills while others may sprint round collecting tags for other kills. Hell, try objective games, they help a lot with teamwork.

7. Kinda generic statement to put at the end with no real reason or meaning behind it. I really don't know what to say, since playstyles differ between players.

You're over reacting, simple as. None of these points are problems with MW3 alone, they're inherent problems with the system CoD employed since CoD4. Being able to select from such a broad range of weapons, abilities, equipment, attachments etc. make it very difficult to balance in the way you seem to want it. Shotguns simply won't beat ARs unless you actually hit them properly. However SMG wielders are generally easy targets.

You could also, like, try getting better at the game. Maybe that's your problem. MW2 and BO have been around for a long time, it's likely you just know the maps, weapons and game mechanics a lot better than, y'know, the game that came out like three days ago.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Tin Man said:
Furioso said:
Don't forget they copy pasted buildings from MW 1 into the game

They got really lazy for this one

Oh and who was the guy who said we had no idea what we were talking about and that the games change drastically? What a lie
Firstly, oh look, someone who knows jack shit about gaming creation commenting about game creation on a cod thread. *Le Gasp*

Also, and this is just my opinion, but I love it how in ANY other game, this kind of thing would be treated as an Easter Egg. A little love letter to hardcore fans of the original, you know, the only people that would notice that kind of thing.

But no. Just one more reason for people that don't know what they're talking about to have a go at cod. Again.

I'm not even that big a fan of the series myself, but stupidity irks me.
Oh look, someone who makes an insulting reply instead of politely explaining why I was wrong. *Le Gasp*

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
From what I have heard they have done an excellent job on making a Cod sequel. It's pretty much exactly the same as the other ones, the unbalance and brokeness that all it's fans enjoyed are even worse, the sniper is used for quickscoping and the maps are all small.

From what I have heard this is the kinda thing that most people in the series really enjoyed about COD, you say you have been a fan of Cod since COD4? Then you can hardly complain since this is exactly what fans of the series wanted.

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
you know what happened the last time I played call of duty? I was playing Black-ops, yet I was under the impression I was playing MW2. I literally couldn't tell the difference. I just didn't see any change. not in the guns, not in the graphics, nothing. they've basically copy and pasted the same shit for years now. I seriously hope the bubble bursts quickly and we can get some new games. people are retarded as a general rule, but sooner or later even the thickest idiot will realize they've been screwed.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
believer258 said:
Furioso said:
Tin Man said:
Furioso said:

They got really lazy for this one

Oh and who was the guy who said we had no idea what we were talking about and that the games change drastically? What a lie
Firstly, oh look, someone who knows jack shit about gaming creation commenting about game creation on a cod thread. *Le Gasp*

Also, and this is just my opinion, but I love it how in ANY other game, this kind of thing would be treated as an Easter Egg. A little love letter to hardcore fans of the original, you know, the only people that would notice that kind of thing.

But no. Just one more reason for people that don't know what they're talking about to have a go at cod. Again.

I'm not even that big a fan of the series myself, but stupidity irks me.
Oh look, someone who makes an insulting reply instead of politely explaining why I was wrong. *Le Gasp*
To be fair, many game series use a lot of the same textures/assets/etc. because it saves time and money and most people really wouldn't notice it. I'd bet a good bit of Gears of War 3 includes some of the stuff from Gears 2 or 1. I don't really find it surprising or even alarming in the least that they used the same building. They needed a building, of that size and shape and color scheme, so why the hell not use that building? Especially when you've got only two years (probably actually less than that) to create the world's biggest blockbuster and man-hours are really, really important. Thinking about it this way, all of a sudden creating a new building becomes far less important.

And besides, it's just a fucking building. It doesn't make the game bad.
And that is the proper way to respond, I was wrong and figured that out but wasn't gonna go back to an old thread to fix it, but the guy who quoted me did so in an insulting sarcastic way

Andy Mac

Nov 10, 2011
Cant complain about the copy paste buildings since every call of duty is the same game just reskinned. I played all of them, but only own BO cause I've only had PS3 for about a year. I just loved the SPAS 12 from BO. Nothing better than stunning a whole group of guys and one shot killing them all. The shotguns were dominating at close range, useless at long range, which is what I would expect a shotgun to be. MW3's shotguns are either under powered or incredibly inaccurate from hip fire, and its too slow to aim down sight to make that useful. Why bother using a shotgun when AR's are better in close range anyway?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
The only problem I've had with the game so far is that the last two levels of the campaign sort of dropped the ball in my opinion. From a story standpoint, anyway.

I've played one round of multiplayer and thought it was all right, although now that I think about it, it did seem kind of small. I'll check later.

Loving Spec Ops, especially since you can now play with anyone instead of just friends.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I personally am loving MW3, I'm just having fun running around with a silenced P90 and EMP grenades (plus a support package with an EMP).
EMPs are great fun when the enemy has choppers and sentries and I take them all out from the other side of the map with the push of a button!

The maps take getting used to but I like them now. Lag is not an issue for me bar one or two occasions. I agree to an extent about the Assualt rifles mainly because the Type 95 is hilariously OP.

The only real con I have against MW3s multiplayer is the quick scoping. I'd hoped they would have nerfed it like Blops did or at the very least not let you add an ACOG scope on at LEVEL 2!

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Ilikemilkshake said:
Shame it will still sell 89734 bajillion copies in the next 24 hours anyway.
I havent genuinly enjoyed a cod game since World at War, and i doubt i ever will again.
Plus the lag... oh god the fucking lag... im certain they make the ps3 version shit on purpose.
Oh god... is it like that?
I was really hoping for them to fix the FUCKING LAG on everything...
But i need my fix of good stealth multiplayer action!
And MW always seems to satisfy...

Ixal

Mar 19, 2008
SweetLiquidSnake said:
Try this: Dont play online.

Play the story, which is why I loved MW2, get some achievements/trohpies, and spare yourself the headache of competing against that asshole who's been playing non-stop since midnight and is already level 50. I dont see the fascination of multiplayer....
The story in MW is atrocious and makes no sense at all. I can't comprehend how anyone who is not drunk can like it

Attention, MW3 Story spoilers incoming

- Why did the Russian president become a peace loving hippy when he ordered the attack on the US in MW2?
- How can Marakov get hundreds of armed soldiers and multiple WMDs into every major city in Europe without getting noticed?
- Where did Marakov get all this men anyway? This guy has an army larger than many 3rd world countries.
- There is no frontline at all. At one day the Russians are in Hamburg, then in Paris and then they are back in Berlin again.
- The people are practically teleporting across the globe with going from Africa to the middle east to Europe within days even though they are hunted by pretty much everyone and they also have no problem getting weapons, including attack helicopters to where they go.
- Also the US is somehow able to project a large force into Siberia when they have trouble holding Europe. Wtf?
- With Yuri you have an insider of Marakovs organization who knew what happened in the Airport. Why didn't he speak up to prevent a war or just tipped the Russians off that Marakov was responsible for it?
- And why the hell haven't the nuclear launch codes not been changed the instant the Russian president had been kidnapped?
- And of course you have the usual "Americans save everyone" bullshit patriotism, but that is to be expected.

The story of MW is compareable to a Micheal Bay movie.

SeeIn2D

May 24, 2011
The game is garbage. I used to say games had "MW2 Syndrome" for trying too much and adding way too much to the original concept for it to work properly. Well Infinity Ward has done it again and has blown that out of the water. From now on I will be describing games as having "MW3 Syndrome" and with good reason! The class creation system isn't deep which is clearly what they were going for. The system is simply complicated and unnecessary. I've been called an idiot for thinking this with such thoughtful comments as "ur a fag who just dont know how 2 make a class". No, I know how to make a class, I understand what a perk and proficiency does. My argument is that I don't understand why there have to be so many different parts of a class creation screen, with some parts requiring that you go through 3-4 other menu screens to get to. And this is just the interface.

The maps make me want to cry. I thought maps like Underpass and Derail were bad on MW2, I would be blessed to have a map of that calibre on this game. All but 1 or 2 maps on this game are literally different arrangements of rubble. Next time you're in a lobby look around on the map you're playing on. There's a good chance that you will be within 5 feet of a pile of assorted rocks and dirt. Some people have argued that this is because they're trying to make the maps go alongside the single player. Okay. Fair enough. I draw the line with the argument though when doing as such completely detracts from the actual gameplay itself. There are 3 maps where I cannot even begin to describe the differences between them, nor can I list them right now because I don't even know the names of them, so for now I'll refer to them as "Rubbly Map With a Train".

Now onto the gameplay. The guns kill so ridiculously quickly, that basically you have zero chance of making it around the corner if someone is shooting at you. If anyone reading this has played MW2 and used the Tar-21 with Stopping Power and Full Metal Jacket, you know how fast that gun kills. Yeah, the average gun in this game kills a bit faster than that thing. It is ridiculous.

Overall I am not happy with the game, and like I've been doing for the past 2 games, I'll just be going back on CoD4.

Burn2Feel

Jan 20, 2010
Ixal said:
SweetLiquidSnake said:
Snip
- Play Turbulance again and listen to what they say, they make the point that there is no need for the war with the way things are going
- To explain that, just look at real life things like illegal immigration where hundreds of people cross borders without governments noticing
- PMCs are most likely, seeing as his army's uniform change in each game
- It's pockets of attacks from Russians in those cities. The fact that they sneaked in proves that there was a presence there already
- See point 2
- Pockets of their main force, it would be too hard to send in an entire army across an ocean the Russains had access to
- Probably scared for his life, you're speaking against one of the most powerful men in military and political terms here
- Too much happened too quickly, plus they would underestimate what this man could do seeing that he may as well have come out of nowhere to the Russians
- Forgetting that it is a combination of British, Russian and other forces which eventually take down all the series' main antagonists. That, and the American army would have a significant political reason to strike back hardest

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Tin Man said:
this kind of thing would be treated as an Easter Egg.
Then I should assume that wooden crates and pipes in first person shooters are all Easter Eggs instead of just laziness.

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
TallestGargoyle said:
F4LL3N said:
Jesus... I have no idea where you're coming from.

1. MW3 maps are fucking huge in every sense of the word, there's not a single Rust or Scrapyard-like map in the game for a little close action fun. The closest is Dome, and that's still big. The levels have multiple stories to them, loads of little tunnels and flanks...

2. There's no such thing as balance in CoD, at least in recent titles. MW2 had the UMP45, BO had the AKS-74... Both games had selectable killstreaks that ended up decimating the other team, after that player already decimated them.

Assault rifles are meant to be powerful, they are simply powerful guns in general. While I'm still annoyed that shotguns are ineffective at 20 feet (100ft effective range would be much better). What they lack is speed, bringing them to your face and aiming them is slower than an SMG or Pistol.

3. The lag is... Yeah, I agree on this one. I couldn't even get into games half the time because the connection would drop constantly.

4. The maps are cluttered with paths and places to hide behind, that is the problem. Half agreed on this too, but it's nothing to do with spawns, just the constant clutter in the multiplayer maps. MW2 and BO maps felt a lot more open, less filled with decals and debris.

5. Every single one of those complaints applies to CoD4 onwards, besides quickscoping in BO.

6. Try Kill Confirmed, instead of normal TDM. It vastly boosts teamwork, forcing players to stay near each other to deny kills while others may sprint round collecting tags for other kills. Hell, try objective games, they help a lot with teamwork.

7. Kinda generic statement to put at the end with no real reason or meaning behind it. I really don't know what to say, since playstyles differ between players.
I haven't played MW3, but I suspect this guy's right on most points. I'm a huge fan of CoD4, less so of MW2, even less so of BO (though that was mostly due to shitty netcode; if i got lucky with the host or i was playing local, i liked it better than MW2, almost on par with 4). From what I've seen on youtube, it looks like the maps have really short sightlines - and as someone who really enjoys playing a campy sniper, that makes me pretty sad face. That being said, if you want actual, y'know, tactics and teamwork and stuff, maybe play Gears 3 or one of the *old* Battlefield games.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Furioso said:
BF3 did the same thing.

OT: I love MW3. It is super fun to play, and I'm having a blast.

Ixal

Mar 19, 2008
Burn2Feel said:
Ixal said:
SweetLiquidSnake said:
Snip
- Play Turbulance again and listen to what they say, they make the point that there is no need for the war with the way things are going
- To explain that, just look at real life things like illegal immigration where hundreds of people cross borders without governments noticing
- PMCs are most likely, seeing as his army's uniform change in each game
- It's pockets of attacks from Russians in those cities. The fact that they sneaked in proves that there was a presence there already
- See point 2
- Pockets of their main force, it would be too hard to send in an entire army across an ocean the Russains had access to
- Probably scared for his life, you're speaking against one of the most powerful men in military and political terms here
- Too much happened too quickly, plus they would underestimate what this man could do seeing that he may as well have come out of nowhere to the Russians
- Forgetting that it is a combination of British, Russian and other forces which eventually take down all the series' main antagonists. That, and the American army would have a significant political reason to strike back hardest
1. That doesn't cut it. Someone who launches WW3 won't simply back off a few days later and argue against his ministers that peace is a better way. You don't flipflop on such a decision.
2. Lol, no. I know Americans are scared shitless about illegal immigration, but getting hundreds of armed man and WMDs into several European cities undetected is laughable as their borders are much better controlled than the US/Mexican border because they are smaller.
3. Unlikely. PMCs are legit businesses and thus people would notice when they are hired en mass by a know terrorist. Also, not many legal businesses would have much interest in working with terrorists in the first place.
4. Thats not how wars work. There are those annoying things like supply lines which means that the frontline can't be in Paris and Berlin in the same time. The forces in Paris would be completely cut off from any supply. And don't get me started about this laughable US invasion.
5. Right, people are smuggling a Hind into Somalia within a few days how? By freighter? Or getting through numerous more stable countries illegally with an attack helicopter which magically doesn't have to refuel? But I forget, Nicolay nearly has as many resources available as Marakov, meaning he probably has the 2nd largest army in the world. And the US getting helicopters into Siberia? Where do they refuel?
6. Yuri scared? This man takes on a whole army nearly alone to kill Marakov. Why would he be scared to tell the Russians that Marakov (known, internationally hunter terrorist btw.)was involved (he could just claim that he recognized him from pictures. But as the Russians didn't even bother to look at camera footage from the massacre to recognize Marakon and instead relied on CSI Moscow to determine that the one body found was American that might not have been much use). And while Marakov has a infinite, all powerful army he has hardly any political power.
7. A rather weak excuse. When the president who knows the nuclear launch codes goes missing, changing the codes would be standard procedure.
8. All other forces pretty much suck and fail unless the Americans show up. Why couldn't the French have defended Paris? And when you remember, the French got shot up till the Americans showed up and the Germans were simply obliterated. And the SAS also failed to prevent the attack. The only nation who has any success in this game are the Americans.

Also two new things:
- Why can Russian missiles be instantly reprogrammed to fire at their own troops? (And how can medium range missiles hit targets 100 meters next to their launch point? They are not designed for that.)
- Why does Price tell Yuri to operate the Drone because the Program is in Russian? This guy boarded a Russian submarine and reprogrammed a nuclear missile to airburst over Washington and he can't speak Russian? (Why didn't he need the launch codes for that btw?)