MW3 midnight release, can't play it if your on PC in Aus though -_-

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
So all the stores did a midnight release for MW3, happening as I type this. My MW3 is fully installed and ready to play except I get a message from steam saying 'you can play on the official release'.

Turns out, I have to wait for the American release because I am playing it on PC, where as all the console people get to play right away.

I am spewin hard!

This seems to me like a massive oversight on the part of Steam.

I did want to play MW3 right now but I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon. Another really annoying fact is that the game is 100 dollars to buy on steam, which is about 20 more than the shops with their release specials and we can't even play.

Block multi fine, I have a year to play that now. But we could at least have single-player!

EDIT: Rumour is if you bought the game from a shop you play. If you bought the game from steam you cant?

EDIT 2: Thread should be called, EVERYONE CAN PLAY MW3 EXCEPT IF YOU BOUGHT IT OFF STEAM.

Seriously, steam should advertise itself as expensive and incapable.

TLDR: If you bought MW3 on console or from the shop you can play right away. If you bought the game from the steam store you have to wait for the American release, which has made me mad.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Lol.

Learn to Steam dude.

Firstly, Valve has no control over release times, that's wholly up to the publisher.

Secondly, all it takes is a quick look at the store page to see there was no way the game was releasing at midnight tonight or anywhere near that.

About your edit, no it doesn't matter where you got it, everyone unlocks at the same time. This happens every major release with Steam, and there's ALWAYS people whinging about it. Congrats for being the first on here for MW3 lol.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
distortedreality said:
Lol.

Learn to Steam dude.

Firstly, Valve has no control over release times, that's wholly up to the publisher.

Secondly, all it takes is a quick look at the store page to see there was no way the game was releasing at midnight tonight or anywhere near that.

About your edit, no it doesn't matter where you got it, everyone unlocks at the same time. This happens every major release with Steam, and there's ALWAYS people whinging about it. Congrats for being the first on here for MW3 lol.
Ahh well tell that to the people playing it right now. My friends list is slowly filling with MW3 buzzers as people get it installed.

It seems that the people who bought it instore can play, people who bought it off of Steam cannot because once again - expensive and incapable.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
This has nothing to do with Steam putting on a troll face and keeping Modern Warfare away from you. It's probably the idea of Activision to make steam preloaders all have to wait till the USA release time, since the USA has the most people buying it. Also, look on the steam store page and it will tell you when the game is unlocking, currently in england it says the game will unlock in 17 hours, even though its already 3 pm here.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
This is ridiculous, my friends list is filling up with more and more people playing. Myself and a friend of mine still can't play because we bought it off of steam. Well I pass on ever purchasing a game from Steam again. What a rubbish, useless company.

xXDeMoNiCXx

Mar 10, 2010
DalekJaas said:
This is ridiculous, my friends list is filling up with more and more people playing. Myself and a friend of mine still can't play because we bought it off of steam. Well I pass on ever purchasing a game from Steam again. What a rubbish, useless company.
So you say Valve-a company that made Half-Life, Portal, Team Fortress, and maybe other amazing games- is a rubbish, useless company just because you can't play MW3 before everyone else? Which is probably Activision's decision and NOT Valve's?

Wow...

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
DalekJaas said:
Wait a sec there! Dont start quitting steam just because you have to wait a few hours for the game to release. This is all the fault of ACTIVISION, not steam.

Heres an analogy: Im not going to buy off of amazon again because this package I bought of there from some random seller hasnt come the exact same time as everyone else!

Seriously, be patient

[EDIT] Also, hows that FREE copy of Modern Warfare 1 they gave you, did you gift it to a friend? Or didn't you have it and you kept it for yourself. Heres a suggestion, play the free CoD 4 you got whilst waiting.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
DalekJaas said:
You do realise that Steam has no control over release times, right?

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
You cant really say much though, every person who pre-purchased MW3 off Steam got a free copy of CoD 4 that they could keep, or if they had it give to a friend. People who bought it in a box didnt get that, so you cant really whine much because you both have something the other person doesn't.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Well CoD uses Steamworks so it shouldn't be possible that people are playing now, regardless of where they bought the game.

If people are playing, only thing I can think of is something funky going on with the auth servers. Either that or people are just trolling, is pretty easy to show that you're in a game that you're not on Steam.

edit - and the SPuF is down so I can't really check what the go is. Just checked the Steam stats, and there are supposedly about 370 people in the MW3 MP.

LightningBanks

Apr 15, 2009
DalekJaas said:
...you bought Mw3, published by one of the worst companies in the game for being nice to customers, yet you cry about steam making a mistake it probably has NO control over.

I lol'ed

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
distortedreality said:
Well CoD uses Steamworks so it shouldn't be possible that people are playing now, regardless of where they bought the game.

If people are playing, only thing I can think of is something funky going on with the auth servers. Either that or people are just trolling, is pretty easy to show that you're in a game that you're not on Steam.
Nah I'm on TS with people playing, no one is trolling, that is what I thought at first.

ToastiestZombie said:
You cant really say much though, every person who pre-purchased MW3 off Steam got a free copy of CoD 4 that they could keep, or if they had it give to a friend. People who bought it in a box didnt get that, so you cant really whine much because you both have something the other person doesn't.
I already owned CoD4, and I will presume that most people who pre-loaded MW3 will have already owned CoD4. I have no interest in playing that game anymore, I got over it when Mw2 came out, and BLOPS after that.

People who bought it in the box actually get to play the game though, I would rather be able to play than own a useless copy of CoD4.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
I'm sure this must be a glitch somewhere in the system - it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have a staggered release for physical copies and a set time for digital copies. It wouldn't help with the server load at all, so I can't see the justification.

Someone somewhere has screwed up methinks.

evenest

Dec 5, 2009
I wonder if this problem is not another argument against the need to have a game be connected to the internet in order for it to be playable. It certainly gives the publisher greater control over whether or not you are able to access a game that you purchased.

While I don't play any games on steam (and don't have a horse in that particular race), I wouldn't hold steam responsible for a decision that was made by the publisher of the game.

Of course, this is the internet so people are prone to hyperbole and insta-rage.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
xXDeMoNiCXx said:
DalekJaas said:
So you say Valve-a company that made Half-Life, Portal, Team Fortress, and maybe other amazing games- is a rubbish, useless company just because you can't play MW3 before everyone else? Which is probably Activision's decision and NOT Valve's?

Wow...
Ahh yeah I don't like any Valve games and I would rather play CoD over anything Valve has ever made. And it's not 'before everyone else', it's 'with the rest of Australia'.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
DalekJaas said:
distortedreality said:

Nah I'm on TS with people playing, no one is trolling, that is what I thought at first.

ToastiestZombie said:
I already owned CoD4, and I will presume that most people who pre-loaded MW3 will have already owned CoD4. I have no interest in playing that game anymore, I got over it when Mw2 came out, and BLOPS after that.

People who bought it in the box actually get to play the game though, I would rather be able to play than own a useless copy of CoD4.
But doesn't the fact that they gave you a free copy of it make up for the fact you have to wait a few more hours (oh woe is you!). Im sure there must be someone in your friends list who doesn't have CoD 4, you could send it to them. If not you could trade it with someone for some other games!

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:
Pretty sure Americans got that same deal, and I am also sure that every American who has it ready to play now will be able to play when it releases. They wont have to wait while the rest of the country plays it because they bought it from Steam.