My boss wont let me quit. (Updated)

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
thedeathscythe said:
OT: If you haven't found a solution yet, throw your boss to the ground, shit on his chest, and punch him in the neck repeatedly. Try it out!
Heh.
If you do go that way, don't forget to check the, "Yes, I have been convicted of a felony," on your work application.

Kakashi on crack said:
Don't show up.

Unless you signed a contract, you can quit at any time.
Ah, and here's the rub of it. I have assumed you weren't under a contract, OP.
Then again, as a free person, you can most certainly choose to break your contract and then pay whatever legal penalty is prescribed in it.

rutger5000 said:
Depending on the contract you signed he can actually force you to work for the next two weeks. Always read the contract. If you didn't sign anything, then what are you still doing there.
They cannot force you to work.
They can sue you for refusing to work, though.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Kirkby said:
Go and do a really shit job. Tell the customers to fuck off and the like... U wont need to go back for a second day
Definitely this. He won't want you back the remaining two weeks.

kloiberin_time

Jan 27, 2011
No where is it required to give 2 weeks unless you signed a length of term contract. You are an "at-will" employee and he is an "at-will" employer meaning that you can leave any time you want and he can let you go any time he wants.

You might not get your vacation/sick time given to you if you just leave (although I doubt you have any there) but the worst he can do is give a future employer a negative review of you. Besides, taking this to court would cost him thousands of dollars in legal fees, he would lose and you would more than likely have grounds to counter-sue him for your legal fees.

Screw him, just walk out while flying the double-deuces at him if you really want to burn the bridge down.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Mykonos said:
I work at a bad game store. Very bad. My boss' attitude has prompted me to quit. So I did (or at least attempted to last night). But I received a voice mail from him stating that I could not quit because I NEEDED to put in a 2 weeks notice and that he'll see me at work in the morning (today).

I'm pretty sure this is slavery? Can anyone help? My boss is a kind of guy who will sue anyone for anything so I'm trying to avoid anything crazy. But advice WILL go a long way.
Check your contract. Basically, when you started the job you should have had a contract, by law. It will say in there what your notice period is, and whatever that is, you have to work during the time between handing in your notice and actually leaving. Otherwise you are the one breaking the law here, and are liable to be sued, or simply fired. Probably sued given what you say about your boss. No lawyer in the world will be able to get you off then, because it will be there in black and white. I have a contract for my job, and that says I have a month's notice period, so if yours is two weeks (which is the general standard, I believe) then you should count yourself lucky. And hey, it's two weeks more pay that you otherwise wouldn't get, so it's all good in the hood, right?

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
kloiberin_time said:
No where is it required to give 2 weeks unless you signed a length of term contract. You are an "at-will" employee and he is an "at-will" employer meaning that you can leave any time you want and he can let you go any time he wants.

You might not get your vacation/sick time given to you if you just leave (although I doubt you have any there) but the worst he can do is give a future employer a negative review of you. Besides, taking this to court would cost him thousands of dollars in legal fees, he would lose and you would more than likely have grounds to counter-sue him for your legal fees.

Screw him, just walk out while flying the double-deuces at him if you really want to burn the bridge down.
If he has a formal job, i.e. legal and not 'cash-in-hand', then IIRC he has to have a contract. That is law. Unless you're in a different country to me and your laws are different, that is, but I'm 100% certain that in the case the OP describes he has to by law have a contract. Therefore if he doesn't follow that contract, including the notice period, he is liable to get sued, and it is required to give notice. The OP has no choice in the matter, and if he does get sued then he will certainly lose the case, that is guaranteed, again because of it all being in black and white in the contract. No lawyer in the world would be able to get him off unless he could prove something like, I don't know, sexual harassment (which is pretty damn unlikely, wouldn't you agree?).

kloiberin_time

Jan 27, 2011
Trivun said:
If he has a formal job, i.e. legal and not 'cash-in-hand', then IIRC he has to have a contract. That is law. Unless you're in a different country to me and your laws are different, that is, but I'm 100% certain that in the case the OP describes he has to by law have a contract. Therefore if he doesn't follow that contract, including the notice period, he is liable to get sued, and it is required to give notice. The OP has no choice in the matter, and if he does get sued then he will certainly lose the case, that is guaranteed, again because of it all being in black and white in the contract. No lawyer in the world would be able to get him off unless he could prove something like, I don't know, sexual harassment (which is pretty damn unlikely, wouldn't you agree?).
I don't know where the hell "Cat Island" is but he has a US flag next to his profile so I will assume he is in the US and not the UK so it does make a difference.
Again, it depends on the contract. Most employers employ "at-will" employees. Unless he is management or some sort of salaried employee the chances of him having a contract that stipulates he has to fulfill some amount of time is closing in at nil. His boss is being an asshole AND breaking the law by stating he has to stay. Even if he did get sued the only thing he would have to pay would be signing bonuses or money paid for time worked that he has not done. There might be a stipulation that if he leaves there is a 6 month period of time where he cannot work similar retail which again is not likely unless his boss is some sort of Faustian devil.

Honestly, your boss is a douche, probably got beat up by jocks in high school, or was the jock that got beat up in high school and is getting his revenge/reliving the glory days.

Just walk out if you do not care about a reference.