My boss wont let me quit. (Updated)

Mykonos

May 19, 2009
I work at a bad game store. Very bad. My boss' attitude has prompted me to quit. So I did (or at least attempted to last night). But I received a voice mail from him stating that I could not quit because I NEEDED to put in a 2 weeks notice and that he'll see me at work in the morning (today).

I'm pretty sure this is slavery? Can anyone help? My boss is a kind of guy who will sue anyone for anything so I'm trying to avoid anything crazy. But advice WILL go a long way.

Mykonos

May 19, 2009
Putting in a 2 weeks would be too nice for this guy. Also I've already started working at a better job.

Kirkby

May 3, 2010
Go and do a really shit job. Tell the customers to fuck off and the like... U wont need to go back for a second day

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Assuming you're in the United States...

If you didn't sign a contract, you cannot be compelled to work. And if you did, it would be the company, not your boss, that can sue you. But it is not even remotely in their interests to do so.

The only reason you would actually give 2 weeks notice is if you want to leave on good terms. But since you've already burned that bridge, there is no reason to go back to work.

bam13302

Dec 8, 2009
be careful of how you get fired, it may prevent you from getting another job if your next employer talks to this boss

Foolishman1776

Jul 4, 2009
Ah, well, it's probably best that you stick it out for a couple of weeks. It looks better on an application.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
if you have a contract, you have to give a certain amount of notice. if not, you can walk straight out the door and there's nothing he can do about it

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Mykonos said:
I work at a bad game store. Very bad. My boss' attitude has prompted me to quit. So I did (or at least attempted to last night). But I received a voice mail from him stating that I could not quit because I NEEDED to put in a 2 weeks notice and that he'll see me at work in the morning (today).

I'm pretty sure this is slavery? Can anyone help? My boss is a kind of guy who will sue anyone for anything so I'm trying to avoid anything crazy. But advice WILL go a long way.
Think hard. Did you sign a contract when you joined? If you did, it's best to put in the two weeks to avoid a lawsuit. If you didn't, he's acting like my old boss. One of my coworkers was on her last day, and my boss said that if she didn't do her job perfectly, my boss would "Make sure (she) never gets another job in town." It sounds like your boss fits the latter. These people think they have absolute power over their employees. They do not. If you didn't sign a contract, you are more than allowed to simply quit and not come back.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I'm not really seeing the problem here. Just don't show up. What can he do, fire you? It's not like he owns you. Doubt he'd sue you over it or anything.

But you know, it's two weeks of pay, and you can slack to boot because it's not like you can be fired for the second time or something.

Hellacious

Oct 6, 2010
You don't have to put in a two weeks notice. It's a good idea too, if you plan to use this job on your resume, or your boss as a future reference, but you are under no legal obligations to continue your employment. You can walk out of a job at any point, for any reason at all.

The only way your former employer can file a legal claim against you is if you signed a contract with them. Usually, said contracts come with an employment bonus (you get X amount of money if you sign on at this time, and stay for X amount of time) or the company will pay for specialized training or certifications in return for working for them for a period of time. In those cases you can still quit, but will be expected to pay them back for those costs.

But with a game store? Yeah. He dosen't have a legal leg to stand on.

Mykonos

May 19, 2009
We're talking a b-list retail store. Can retail stores even have binding contracts? I thought that was for union work only or something like that? Point is, my boss claims that I did sign a form. But none of the other employees believe that. He OWNS the business and is quite the crook with lawsuits. Jeesh, All I wanted to do was sell vidja games!

JezebelinHell

Dec 9, 2010
I believe the legality of that would depend on what contracts you signed upon employment. I worked at WalMart for a bit in college and I left them without 2 weeks notice, their threat was that I would never be able to work at another WalMart again. I LOL'd and walked out.
I would ask him to show you where it is written that you agreed to that. At least make him give you proof that you signed something that states that. If it is a chain store I would think making the higher ups aware of why you are quitting would be an idea. Doing it before you leave would probably allow you to document what a true ass he is but doing it after you leave would cause less tension that you have to deal with. If he owns the store himself nothing much you can do but force his hand on proving it.
I have no idea why companies want someone to stay 2 weeks after you know they want to leave. I know they want time to replace them but I think it seriously causes more issues especially if someone is leaving on bad terms anyway.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
I'm not sure what the laws are where you live, but here in Canada: Two weeks notices is a courtesy. You do it when you are leaving amicably, or even when you just want a letter of reference later or something. But it's certainly not the law. I worked fast food for years, and I had people quit right on the floor in the middle of a shift.

Simply put: unless your country or state has some very odd laws on employment, then you are well within your rights to just up and quit.