My boss wont let me quit. (Updated)

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Citing unfair treatment is a valid ground for immediate (as in "fuck my notice, I'm off right now") resignation.

If you are leaving the job amicably then you would be best to work your notice so as to maintain good relations with the company.

If, as in the OP's example they believe they are being mistreated then they can claim that the manager is not abiding by worker's rights and is therefore himself in breach of contract, meaning you can leave whenever you want.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Mykonos said:
I work at a bad game store. Very bad. My boss' attitude has prompted me to quit. So I did (or at least attempted to last night). But I received a voice mail from him stating that I could not quit because I NEEDED to put in a 2 weeks notice and that he'll see me at work in the morning (today).

I'm pretty sure this is slavery? Can anyone help? My boss is a kind of guy who will sue anyone for anything so I'm trying to avoid anything crazy. But advice WILL go a long way.
I don't know if this has been pointed out or not, but when you filled out the employment paperwork, you probably signed an 'employee agreement' that outlined things such as attendance policy, dress code, etc. etc. If he had such a policy about two weeks notice, it would definitely be in there.

So, the only thing I think you can do in that regard is ask your boss to produce the document that you signed that shows where you are required to give two weeks notice, and what the penalty would be if you failed to. He probably doesn't have such a thing (I think it's illegal in the USA), but may bluff and bluster about how "it's the law" and he "doesn't need a specific piece of paper".

See, what he's trying to do there is intimidate you because you're younger and not experienced about the obnoxious little details of the employee/employer relationship. However, this is easy to overcome. Simply google " employment laws help" and look for a .gov website. They usually have faqs that cover common questions, and probably even have a help line or an office you can call with employment questions. Call them up and ask them what you should do, because it's those people's job to help people like you out.

But above all: remain calm. Jerks like your boss thrive on getting people upset and off-balance, and then getting them to do what they want. If you can't stay calm, just walk away. If you have some sort of voice recording device (smartphones usually have such features), tell your boss that you wish to record any interaction with him from this point on. If things were to escalate for some reason, that will give you hard evidence of what really happened.

But I wouldn't worry about that overly much: the truth is the moment you demonstrate you're not going to be a pushover, he'll probably just let you leave.

Good luck!

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
As far as I know, you don't ever have to put two weeks notice in. That's the professional thing to do, but I sympathize. I've walked out of a job that way, NEVER regretted it. I doubt you will either dude. Don't go back.

almostgold

Dec 1, 2009
tahrey said:
almostgold said:
Who 'quits' without putting in a two week? Thats kinda standard procedure....

Really, how the hell did you expect that to happen?
Jeez man, read the rest of the thread. It's not always SOP, and particularly if it's a temp job in a crappy store, it's not without precedent. It's good manners, yes, but if they're treating you like crap as well and you can more or less walk into a better job, why give them the misplaced courtesy of another fortnight of your life?
Right, just because someone is a dick to you you should go and abandon all common courtesy. That can only be good for the world. I just think its respectful to turn in a two-week for one and more trouble than its worth to purposefully NOT do it just because you are don't like your job/ boss. Just buck up and go the extra 14 days.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Mykonos said:
I work at a bad game store. Very bad. My boss' attitude has prompted me to quit. So I did (or at least attempted to last night). But I received a voice mail from him stating that I could not quit because I NEEDED to put in a 2 weeks notice and that he'll see me at work in the morning (today).

I'm pretty sure this is slavery? Can anyone help? My boss is a kind of guy who will sue anyone for anything so I'm trying to avoid anything crazy. But advice WILL go a long way.
While a 2-weeks notice is considered polite, as it gives your employer time to replace you, they cannot force you to work against your will.

Be warned, if you tell him to go fuck himself, you really can't use it as a reference and from a resume perspective any time you spent there was essentially wasted.

Tron-tonian

Mar 19, 2009
Easiest way to solve the issue would be to call the boss, point out the following:
1. The cost of a lawyer vs. amount recoverable. He'd end up paying the lawyer more than he would get from you.
2. Does he *really* want to make you - someone who has already quit and wasn't happy at the game shop - come in to work and deal with his clientele?

And if he decides he really wants you in, ask for a schedule, then call in sick every day.

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
Mykonos said:
We're talking a b-list retail store. Can retail stores even have binding contracts? I thought that was for union work only or something like that? Point is, my boss claims that I did sign a form. But none of the other employees believe that. He OWNS the business and is quite the crook with lawsuits. Jeesh, All I wanted to do was sell vidja games!
I've never heard of making retail employees sign binding contracts, maybe the manager if it's a chain, but never ever floor employees.You are not obligated to give a notice, it's courtesy (unless specified in a contract i'm pretty sure you don't have)

If you don't plan on using him as a reference, then just tell him to stuff it, just make absolutely sure you didn't sign a work contract.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
almostgold said:
tahrey said:
almostgold said:
Who 'quits' without putting in a two week? Thats kinda standard procedure....

Really, how the hell did you expect that to happen?
Jeez man, read the rest of the thread. It's not always SOP, and particularly if it's a temp job in a crappy store, it's not without precedent. It's good manners, yes, but if they're treating you like crap as well and you can more or less walk into a better job, why give them the misplaced courtesy of another fortnight of your life?
Right, just because someone is a dick to you you should go and abandon all common courtesy. That can only be good for the world. I just think its respectful to turn in a two-week for one and more trouble than its worth to purposefully NOT do it just because you are don't like your job/ boss. Just buck up and go the extra 14 days.

... Noooooo it seems you're still not reading and still not getting it. Apply some humanity to the situation. A cruddy cashier job does not really obligate you to be a simpering butler. At least, not to anyone except the friendliest (or most attractive) customers.

If the job wasn't your thing or you had a dispute with one of the other workers, or even a minor disagreement with the boss' policies (or whatever) that meant you felt it was time to seek employment elsewhere, but you could tolerate working there until you found that other job, then fine. Find it, give the notice, then peel out. (My mother is in fact in this situation now, she pretty much hates her job after changing site but can stand going in a couple months longer til retirement)

If it's slightly worse, and you can't wait til finding something else and will gladly suffer a period of unemployment and jobseeking rather than carry on, but no-one's actually being an enormous dick to you, give sufficient notice then bail. I had to do this a couple jobs ago where the workload was just insane, and I felt crap about leaving my colleagues with EVEN MORE to do, but I knew I'd implode if I added another month on top of the five i'd already done.

However if it's a poisonous environment, the boss/co-workers are giving you no respect and certainly aren't earning yours (this isn't feudal Mercia, or Japan; if you want respect you need to act worthy of it, and I think if you've pushed your employee to this kind of point then you've burned up all the Common Courtesy they'd be reasonably obliged to grant you), don't be a doormat, don't be a slave, skip out.
(rounding out the trifecta of real life examples, this is me, leaving the convenience store lackey post as previously noted; the boss didn't just not earn my respect, didn't just burn up my stocks of courtesy and deference, but went straight out the other side. Particularly when she got pissy that I dared book a vacation, and then actually tried to go on it. Camel's back broken, I only turned up for the first shift after said vacation to see if things may have improved - but walked out, dead on time to the minute I was scheduled to finish (not 5, 10, 15+ minutes late as normal) leaving my apron, namebadge and letter on the counter, as it had not. ((Or ... I don't know ... memory's hazy ... did I actually give my notice just before going on vacation, so I wouldn't have to go back in? It's been many years... I can't actually tell this story with 100% accuracy any more. But I definitely didn't give them two weeks in which to make my life EXTRA-hellish because they knew I was leaving, and leaving because I thought they were all bastards)))

Heck ... there are some places where if you actually DO give notice, they'll tell you to pack up your stuff, because you are as of a few seconds ago on 2 weeks unpaid leave. They don't want the kind of chaos that a disgruntled employee can cause, or set up to occur for following weeks, in that period. If it's a desk job, don't bother logging out, one of the techs has already shut the PC off remotely so you can't do anything nasty with the system...

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
It looks bad if you just walk out. Just suck it up and put in the two weeks notice. It will benefit you in the long run.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Baby Tea said:
I'm not sure what the laws are where you live, but here in Canada: Two weeks notices is a courtesy. You do it when you are leaving amicably, or even when you just want a letter of reference later or something. But it's certainly not the law. I worked fast food for years, and I had people quit right on the floor in the middle of a shift.

Simply put: unless your country or state has some very odd laws on employment, then you are well within your rights to just up and quit.
Couple this with job abandonment rules too (in Canada, at least) - you don't even have to tell your employer you're quitting - you can just not show up for several shifts in a row, and you are assumed to no longer be working there.

-m

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
Uszi said:
Mykonos said:

While a 2-weeks notice is considered polite, as it gives your employer time to replace you, they cannot force you to work against your will.

Be warned, if you tell him to go fuck himself, you really can't use it as a reference and from a resume perspective any time you spent there was essentially wasted.
Dane Cook had a joke about how if he quit like that, he would throw his boss to the ground, take a dump on his chest, and then punch him in the neck repeatedly, so that when he used him as a reference, his old boss would describe the tale and the new boss would think he's a psycho.

OT: If you haven't found a solution yet, throw your boss to the ground, shit on his chest, and punch him in the neck repeatedly. Try it out!

Vryyk

Sep 27, 2010
"At will" contracts (you almost certainly are under one of these) have no legal repercussions for quitting without notice. A two weeks notice would be smart, but not required. Good luck.

Wildrow12

Mar 1, 2009
Have you considered dressing up like giant chicken, marching into your boss's office and screaming, "I'll be plucked if I continue working here!".

Not to say that you should, or that I have, but just asking if you've considered it.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
Depending on the contract you signed he can actually force you to work for the next two weeks. Always read the contract. If you didn't sign anything, then what are you still doing there.

LorChan

Jul 15, 2009
Give your two weeks notice and don't go in. It's not slavery, you can quit, but they need to have notice.