My Fetish: Fake Videogame Development

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Strange isn't.
You know this specific "Making of" you are reading about or seeing some concept arts, are all but dream projects of games which don't exist. But with that said this is why I am VERY excited every time I read something new about these kind of "Dream Games".

One of my favoutite developers are Arne Niklas Jansson and you can see his Dream Games right here:

http://androidarts.com/

He is noticable for the high quality of his writing and ideas he have for the games he want to create. Even if most of the times are remakes of existing games [like Quake, X-Com, Diablo, etc], he always manage to make every single detail he put enjoyable for us, the readers.

So please, go to his site and read some of his Dream Games. You will surprised.

With that said, Do you know other awesome people who have also shared their own Dreams Games with us?

I would love to see more creators like that, even if they don't manage make them a reality.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
inu-kun said:
Of course, Silent Hills.
Is there a "Making of" like file which explain how the game was at first created or something similar?

EDIT:
Also Silent Hills isn't a fake game. It had a demo at least.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Ezekiel said:
I do that. This is my dream game that I've been writing off and on for two years:

https://bn43.wordpress.com/2015/01/27/my-game/

But knowing nothing is gonna come of it sometimes demotivates me from working on it for long periods of time.
AH! Thank you for showing me your work!
I will read it and comment for your work or I will ask for some question [if I have any].
Cheers!

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Aerosteam said:
You remember Super Smash Escapists, right, SweetShark?
Heh, yeah, I remember. That was fun as long it last.
Sadly I didn't had a lot of time back then to dedicate more time to this dream project.

BUT

Maybe I should create a mock-up Making-of readable file for Escapist just for the good old times.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Now that's a pretty weird concept. Maybe I should share Dream Game myself. I have several ideas I'd love to put in a game, but I can't draw good concepts to save my life.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I do have plenty of ideas I wanted turning in to a game (as a kid I used to draw entire arsenals for none existent FPSs), so maybe I should give this a go.

Gray-Philosophy

Sep 19, 2014
Interesting!

Like Ezekiel, I also do this myself. Although I don't have it saved as a blog for easy sharing unfortunately. I took a peek at Ezekiel's stuff and it looks really awesome so far :)

Other than that, I only know of a few friends who're making their own dream game ideas. I love the idea of coming up with your own universe and working out interesting mechanics to go with it. It's glorious!

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Aerosteam said:
Snip again, cause memory
Also I complete forgot you also created a similar Thread like mine:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.844328-SUPER-SMASH-ESCAPISTS-Choose-your-Character?page=1

Good times, good times.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Btw, for the people whoa re interested, Here is a Fake "Making of" for a videogame Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw wanted to make and maybe other developers are interested on it. someday:

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/noexpne.htm

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Ezekiel said:
I do that. This is my dream game that I've been writing off and on for two years:

https://bn43.wordpress.com/2015/01/27/my-game/

But knowing nothing is gonna come of it sometimes demotivates me from working on it for long periods of time.
Very interesting ideas. I'm picturing Dark Souls done by people at Team Ico.

s_h_a_d_o

Mr Propellerhead
Jun 15, 2010
One of the foremost examples I feel, and one that has gone on to inspire actual game development...

@PeterMolydeux [https://twitter.com/PeterMolydeux] -> What would Molydeux? -> MolyJam [http://www.molyjam.com]

Jerast

Jul 17, 2015
When I read the title I thought it was about Star Citizen.

OT: Mine is actually coming out, battlefront 3. I was super psyched about it too. Hopefully will be good!

ommadawnyawn

Jun 17, 2013
SweetShark said:
Strange isn't.
http://androidarts.com/

He is noticable for the high quality of his writing and ideas he have for the games he want to create. Even if most of the times are remakes of existing games [like Quake, X-Com, Diablo, etc], he always manage to make every single detail he put enjoyable for us, the readers.
I've stumbled upon this site a couple of times before and I like his art and some ideas too, but has anything he's worked on been turned into a game? I don't get why he doesn't just make it happen since it's easier to do than ever nowadays.

Interesting thread idea. I've nothing to contribute right now though.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
My favourite dream game is actually my own. It started out as a game idea, that I pitched (and attempted to make) a demo for as part of the Indie Game Jam a couple of years ago - it was, needless to say, a complete disaster and had almost zero resemblance to my vision. Anyhow, the synopsis is in spoilers below. It ended up warping over time into multiple ideas, including a TV pilot, and script, and now I'm hoping to turn it into a series of novels, although I keep on stopping and restarting again with the book (considering I have written a novel-length project before it shouldn't be too difficult, but I keep on altering things in my mind and having to change major elements...). Synopsis of that is also below, if anyone's interested.

A group of four friends go to a forest to camp, and one of them is a slightly Gothic girl interested in witchcraft and the supernatural. During the camping trip she discovers her boyfriend has had a one night stand with her best friend, the other girl in the group, and so the goth girl decides to get revenge by having some fun with them - pretending to enact a supernatural ritual that brings harm to her enemies, and then playing a series of tricks on her boyfriend and best friend to make them think it's all real. Instead, she wakes up the morning after in the forest, alone, with the campsite abandoned and the others (and her other male friend) missing. As the goth girl explores the forest, she finds various clues that tell the story of the missing 12 hours, and also suggest that the supernatural may actually be real. A large part of the game revolves around the idea of Dreamscapes - each alternate ending takes place inside a different Dreamscape, which are implied to be mental constructions that help the main character repair the mental damage caused by whatever led to her amnesia and the multiple branches of the story.

The game would have had elements of Dear Esther, and The Path, as something of a walking simulator with items to find that reveal the story in flashbacks. However, there would have also been puzzles in the style of the Myst series that would lead to different endings and different story branches, where each puzzle would have multiple solutions and the solutions would each lead to a different branch of the story. The idea was that alternate stories occurred in alternate realities, and a sequel would have tied together the different stories to show them as all being canon despite being contradictory. The player would be encouraged to play the game through several times, and completing all endings would have unlocked a final chapter as the 'true' ending and tying into the sequel. Otherwise, look to Heavy Rain and the like as some inspiration too :).

The book idea is very different, but evolved from the game idea. I challenge anyone to see if they can work out how the evolution came about, particularly as the book idea is a lot more detailed (and pretty much ready to write)...

The backstory essentially focuses on an energy field that permeates all of reality, that allows those who are mentally connected to it to use a variety of psychic abilities. The Aether is a pinch of this energy field that became self-aware and broke off as an independent entity, but exists outside the universe and feeds on knowledge itself. When life started to appear in our universe, the Aether sent fragments of its own intelligence to gather knowledge from the universe to feed from. Eventually it decided to grant self-awareness as a gift to one particularly intelligent species, that didn't actually have sentience, as sentience and self-awareness are only possible by having a mental connection to the psychic energy field. As each human is born, Fragments of the Aether attach themselves to a baby's mind in a symbiotic relationship that the human is never aware of, and when the human dies the Fragment returns to the Aether with the knowledge gained. Some Fragments that don't want this and want their own life instead will abandon the Aether, on occasion, and become known as Revenants - in human mythology the Aether and the Revenants become the basis for the ideas of God and angels/demons, though humans aren't aware of the truth. In the past hundred years or so, some humans have been evolving to the point where they don't need a Fragment to gain sentience, as their minds are already connected to the psychic field, thus also giving them psychic abilities that regular humans don't possess - at the same time, a cult of Revenants devoted to the Aether has arisen, although this is split into multiple factions each with their own goals.

The story focuses on Niamh Flannigan, an Irish freelance journalist and photographer living in London, who discovers through various strange events that she is one of these psychics - she comes into contact with a number of Revenants (led by two - Charles Hawthorne, and Faith) who attempt to protect her from a mysterious assassin, Selene, also known as the Harlequin. Niamh also suffers the breakup of her relationship with her boyfriend Robert, when she finds (inadvertently, through her psychic ability) that he's cheated on her with her best friend. Niamh ends up seeking solace with another friend, Claire, who has had a crush on Niamh for as long as she's known her. Working with a Scottish psychologist who has theorised the scientific existence of the psychic field, Niamh and her allies try to combat a direct threat from the Aether's cult and find out why the Harlequin has targeted her. The main action in the story takes place in Dreamscapes, which are essentially the mental conjuration of an individual's mind, and that act as the battlegrounds for psychic combat (imagine Inception for an idea of how the Dreamscapes operate).