My Generation Makes me Feel Old

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Elect G-Max said:
Nickolai77 said:
it's just sometimes a bit odd talking to someone of your age and nationality who had never heard of Sooty before.
Who or what is Sooty?
He a puppet, yo! A glove puppet, to be precise. A little yellow bear who communicated through silence, did everything by magic and was weirdly popular for a while. It's probably a British thing...

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Well, I was born in 1995 and, despite being a 16-year-old in the modern age, sometimes I feel like that too (also, because a lot of my age-mates are pricks). I used to watch reruns of 90s and even early 00s cartoons and up until about seven or eight, I mainly played my siblings? old Mega Drive and original Game Boy games (the first game that I?d ever gotten bought for myself was Wario Land 3 for the Game Boy Colour I was getting from my fifth birthday). And I used to have VHSs of old Disney films, Only Fools and Horses, all that stuff. Often, if there was a programme on TV that we really wanted to watch but had to go out, we?d record it on video. Sometimes, we?d stay in on a Saturday just to watch a programme, because there was so much good stuff on telly.

But when I look at how kids are growing up nowadays, with just the absolute lowest common denominator filth, with role models such as Lady Gaga and freakin? Amy Childs, it makes me feel a bit sad. My role models were Michael Jackson and?actually, I didn?t have many role models. But you know how I was saying that people in the 90s would stay in on a Saturday if there was a really good programme on? Do that nowadays, and it?s pathetic. Passing up a trip to town because you want to fry your brain cells on The Only Way Is Essex makes you look like a douche. And because I?m pretty much out of the gaming loop now, I can?t say much about that, other than the whole online and Call of Duty stuff intimidates me a bit.

And freakin? 7-year-olds with iPads and mobile phones! When I was a kid, my gadgets were a Tamagotchi and the aforementioned Game Boy, a grey, 8-bit brick.

I?d give anything to relive those days again, maybe even do a couple of things differently. Not much, though, because I loved my childhood. By the way, I?m defining childhood as ?before 13?. After that, everything just turns to shit.

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
Elect G-Max said:
bluepilot said:
Looking at kids today makes me feel old. I see 10 year old kids with blackberries and iPads. When I was 10, I had pogs.
ZOMG POGS!!!

Weren't those the circular things that became insanely popular for like 2 weeks, during which time they even replaced the toys in Happy Meals and shit, and then Magic came along and proved that games made of tiny bits of cardboard could actually be worth playing?

Relish in Chaos said:
When I was a kid, my gadgets were a Tamagotchi and the aforementioned Game Boy
ZOMG TAMAGOTCHIS!!!

Weren't those the electronic things that became insanely popular among kids who were too lame to have actual pets, and which disappeared once we realized that they were more annoying than car alarms?
Make fun all you like. Back in those days I would have cut off my right arm for a slammer shaped like a shuriken. Plus holographic pogs, HOLOGRAPHIC pogs. Do you know how many bags of walkers crisps you had to eat to get one of those? Kids these days are spoiled with their eBay and amazon. Back in my day, it was all down to chance.

Pogs remind me of simpler times. Times when cereal, crisps and junk food had toys worth having.

RedLister

Jun 14, 2011
Elect G-Max said:
bluepilot said:
Looking at kids today makes me feel old. I see 10 year old kids with blackberries and iPads. When I was 10, I had pogs.
ZOMG POGS!!!

Weren't those the circular things that became insanely popular for like 2 weeks, during which time they even replaced the toys in Happy Meals and shit, and then Magic came along and proved that games made of tiny bits of cardboard could actually be worth playing?

Relish in Chaos said:
When I was a kid, my gadgets were a Tamagotchi and the aforementioned Game Boy
ZOMG TAMAGOTCHIS!!!

Weren't those the electronic things that became insanely popular among kids who were too lame to have actual pets, and which disappeared once we realized that they were more annoying than car alarms?
Those 2 things were a big part of my childhood! 22years old here. I remember when a digimon was like a tamagotchi (started off as an egg and they changed form as they aged til they were old enough to fight each other). They were rectangular shaped this was before they made the TV series and that digivice thing.....damn now i feel like an old sod.

http://digimon.wikia.com/wiki/Digimon_virtual_pet

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
My friends and online acquaintances of mine have both independently given me the nickname, "Grandad". I'm 24. So, yeah.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
SonicWaffle said:
Nickolai77 said:
I knew this girl who's mother was a bit odd and wouldn't let her watch TV as a child because she believed it to be anti-social. Now as an adult it's startling how she doesn't get a lot of common pop-culture references one may make in conversation. It hasn't effected her ability to make friends fortunately, it's just sometimes a bit odd talking to someone of your age and nationality who had never heard of Sooty before.
Completely unrelated, but I met a guy down the pub the other night who told my friend and I that he was a badly-medicated schizophrenic and that Sooty talked to him all the time. He said Sweep did too, but Sooty forced him to ignore it because "Sweep's really racist, all he ever talks about is killing coons"

Obviously talking out of his arse, but needless to say we got the fuck away from him just in case...

I'll never view Sweep in the same way again... you certainly meet some "interesting" people of pubs.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Sometimes I feel as the music trends of this generation are already to young for me to appreciate. For the most part diving into internet 'culture' has made me able to catch some of the jokes/references people my age make. I didn't live overseas though so I wouldn't be able to compare our experiences well as the TV here, for better or for worse, is up to date.