my gf is a pothead

THAC0

Aug 12, 2009
so, i met this girl.

we got along great, blah blah blah, now we are dating. It wasn't like either of us were looking for a relationship, but we ended up in one. not only that, but over the last couple of months we have gotten far more serious than we ever intended.

problem is, she's a pothead. I don't mean she smokes a bit of pot from time to time. I mean she is a freaking stoner that gets high several times each day.

now, i don't really have a problem with it, but it isn't my thing either. I confess to getting high a couple of times when i was younger, but i grew out of it and never really got into the scene. But since she and her friends think that pot is a lifestyle, that kinda puts us in separate spheres.

now, ignoring the fact that i don't really get the whole 420 culture and all that stuff. I have a couple of reason that would make it very very detrimental for me to get caught anywhere close to an illegal drug. and if you agree or not, pot is an illegal drug where i live.

so, how would you guys play this?
do i just go with it and hang out with her and her pothead buddies doing what ever it is potheads do when they are not playing hacky sack and talking about evil corporations?

or do i just insist that she respect my reasons to not want to associate with something that could really really screw me up worse than the average person?

VGC USpartan VS

Feb 14, 2011
Just get rid of her. I know a kid whose parents are pot heads... he just isn't... I don't know what to say. He just dosen't WORK. Not to mention pot ruined my uncle's life so I suggest you should stay away from the drug in anyway possible.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
You got this far with her without it coming between you, who's to say it'll ever become an issue. You don't have to do it just because she does and who says she'll ever ask you to.

PS: Stick with it. Cause from what I know of stoner girls, you have struck gold my friend.

Amondren

Oct 15, 2009
I had the same thing happen to be some time ago in addition to other problems she had (which i will not name out of respect to her privacy) but we ended breaking up and I was better off and found a girl who I have more in common with and I'm happier then I was before.

Point being, talk to her try to work it out and if things get hard break off before you become more attached because it becomes harder and harder the more attached you are.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
I don't know what else you could do other then asking her to stop, and upon her most likely refusal you drop her. Can't see many other possibilities.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Dude seriously let her go, thats how you get into this shit, usually.

THAC0

Aug 12, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
You got this far with her without it coming between you, who's to say it'll ever become an issue. You don't have to do it just because she does and who says she'll ever ask you to.

PS: Stick with it. Cause from what I know of stoner girls, you have struck gold my friend.
we got this far, but now i feel bad because she has meet a number of my friends and many people from my social circle, she feels like she can't take me to meet her friends, because they are always smoking pot. seriously, they just never aren't smoking. and she is too, save for the time she spends with me.

Corjha

Mar 14, 2008
Aye, ye cannae be living with someone who conflicts with yer beliefs like tha'.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
If I were you I'd break it off because only trouble comes from smoking weed and if shes caught with weed and your in the general area guess what its also your weed. so there aren't really any benefits to staying with her, so unless she's your one and only perfect match I'd break it off.

braincore02

Jan 14, 2008
"do i just go with it and hang out with her and her pothead buddies doing what ever it is potheads do when they are not playing hacky sack and talking about evil corporations?"

Wow such high opinions (pun maybe intended). Dump her, with that attitude she obviously isn't for you, tho I really think she should dump you.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Just to be sure, do you mean that you will be at risk of facing legal charges just cause you hang out with people who smoke weed?
Thats fucked up.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
VGC USpartan VS said:
Just get rid of her. I know a kid whose parents are pot heads... he just isn't... I don't know what to say. He just dosen't WORK. Not to mention pot ruined my uncle's life so I suggest you should stay away from the drug in anyway possible.
I agree with this person. It's not wise to stay with someone like that. My uncle's life was also ruined by pot and alchohol. :/

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Well, if you love her, it shouldn't matter, right? You use such an insulting tone that I think you're the one with the issue here.

braincore02 said:
"do i just go with it and hang out with her and her pothead buddies doing what ever it is potheads do when they are not playing hacky sack and talking about evil corporations?"

Wow such high opinions (pun maybe intended). Dump her, with that attitude she obviously isn't for you, tho I really think she should dump you.
Thank you for grabbing that example and freezing it in quotation marks for me, it's very convenient.

THAC0

Aug 12, 2009
braincore02 said:

I kid, I kid.

honestly, i have no issues with pot on a personal level. I don't see any difference between her smoking pot and my love of rum, other than the fact that one of them is a crime and that is something i CAN'T be involved with right now.

SeriousSquirrel

Mar 15, 2010
Err, I hate people with the "pot is a lifestyle" mentality as they give other more responsible users a bad rep. The herb should revolve around you, you should never revolve around the herb (or so I'm told...).

I'd have a chat with her, and essentially ask which she finds more important: You or Pot? Ask if she's willing to at least cut down on the usage. While there's worse things she could be doing, your concerns are completely sound. You could be arrested if it's found in your house, car, etc.

Also, see if you can find a specific reason for her usage. Is it strictly for fun? Or is she using it to cope with something?

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
THAC0 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:

we got this far, but now i feel bad because she has meet a number of my friends and many people from my social circle, she feels like she can't take me to meet her friends, because they are always smoking pot. seriously, they just never aren't smoking. and she is too, save for the time she spends with me.
I guess it just comes down to this. Do you love her, and does she love you? If you decide that you do, you two are the only people that matter. Either both your groups of friends will respect that and cut you both some slack so you can be around each other more, or they won't, in which case you don't need their approval and you can just find another way to make it work. You've just got to decide whether or not she means enough to you to make it work no matter what.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
People who still live the "420 culture" beyond highschool really need to grow up. Don't waste your time.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I'd like to think your relationship is functional enough that you could talk to her about reducing the amount she smokes before dumping here.

Seriously, dumping her just like that without trying to remedy the situation is fucking retarded.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
THAC0 said:
so, i met this girl.

we got along great, blah blah blah, now we are dating. It wasn't like either of us were looking for a relationship, but we ended up in one. not only that, but over the last couple of months we have gotten far more serious than we ever intended.

problem is, she's a pothead. I don't mean she smokes a bit of pot from time to time. I mean she is a freaking stoner that gets high several times each day.

now, i don't really have a problem with it, but it isn't my thing either. I confess to getting high a couple of times when i was younger, but i grew out of it and never really got into the scene. But since she and her friends think that pot is a lifestyle, that kinda puts us in separate spheres.

now, ignoring the fact that i don't really get the whole 420 culture and all that stuff. I have a couple of reason that would make it very very detrimental for me to get caught anywhere close to an illegal drug. and if you agree or not, pot is an illegal drug where i live.

so, how would you guys play this?
do i just go with it and hang out with her and her pothead buddies doing what ever it is potheads do when they are not playing hacky sack and talking about evil corporations?

or do i just insist that she respect my reasons to not want to associate with something that could really really screw me up worse than the average person?
as someone who used to smoke 5 times a day and still does it socially, she needs to respect your position as much as you need to respect hers. you cant just demand that she stops doing it, but if being around it makes you uncomfortable (and i completely understand your position, hanging around stoners when you arent high can be pretty fuckin boring, even without the whole legality of the matter), she cant expect you to do it anyway. simply put, you need to come to some sort of compromise. one in which she is able to keep doing it but limit it enough so that you can still spend time together without you being forced into a situation that makes you feel uncomfortable. pot is not addictive and she will probably grow out of this phase eventually but probably not anytime soon. still, if she isnt willing to make some sort of compromise despite knowing how much it bothers you being around her and her friends when they're like that, then maybe you need to rethink whether or not you two would work together.

i dated a girl who liked to roll and dropped acid sometimes. shit like shrooms and weed, thats fine, but when you get to hard drugs, thats where i personally draw the line. she said she wasnt addicted would be willing to stop if it bothered me that much. sadly, this was not the case and she decided she liked her drugs better than she liked me. sorry to end on such a down note but yeah, just talk to her about this and hopefully the two of you can come to some sort of an understanding.