my gf is a pothead

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Pot is only as harmful as you allow it to be, it's next to nothing to me as you can just stop as simply as you start. It sounds like you and this chick just aren't gonna mesh, I'd say maybe to find another girl because thinking you're gonna change her is definitely out of the question. At the very least maybe educate yourself a bit better about marijuana because you seem to be ignoring all of the excellent qualities the plant has.

MrJohnson

May 13, 2009
As a fairly frequent smoker of 'da magical erb meself, and having family and friends whose lives have been ruined by drugs, ask her to calm the fuck down. Nothing good comes out of smoking that much, and smoking that much just isn't even fun anymore. Trust me, I used to be like that. Get her not to smoke for like a month, and then tell her she can smoke again. She will be in awe of how much better her high is.

Anyway, pot rarely ruins peoples lives as we need all kinds of different folks to make the world go round and if someone can live their life happily minimum waging, tokin up good for them. I'm getting my Doctorate right now.

Edit: Goddamn, I know why I left this community now. Get off your high horses you stupid asses. Have fun having little close or good friends due to your constant insistence you're better than everyone. Introverts are the fucking worst type of people, especially since you think you're the ones who invent and do anything ignoring actual historical precedence.

jrb_brownie

Mar 24, 2011
No weed is not a gateway drug. You are very much mistaken. If you want to make that assumption than realistically sugar, caffeine, alcohol, aspirin, cough medicine, and a slue of others come well before marijuana on the spectrum towards hard drug use.

The gateway theory has be well documented and debunked. Do your research. The reason people say that is because it is illegal. You will say that the channels are the same, I say they are not. Never have I been offered hard drugs instead of marijuana. I have smoked for nearly 10 years now and never have I been pressured into moving onto harder substances.

Many substances have positive effects on the brain or improve mood or wellbeing, I have named a few at the top. These substances are almost always encountered before marijuana, and if you want to use the theory that marijuana is a primer for other drugs than those drugs I have listed certainly come before weed. I can vividly remember my first experience with caffeine, a cola, to be exact. And that was one heck of an experience, I am sure nearly every person here has the same experience, yet very few of us go on to hard drugs. Drugs come in many forms, just because marijuana is typically the first illegal drug people stumble across does not mean it presupposes other drug use.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
SaneAmongInsane said:
sethzard said:
Nothing good comes out of drugs, I would advise getting rid of her as you don't have much in common. Also, you seem to have already made up your mind from the way that you have written that.
a rebuttal.

"I?m not telling you anything new?I?m far more creative now, you know. I?ve been writing this Batman: The Widening Gyre miniseries, and I?m stoned all the time when I?m writing it. And, I swear, I?ll write it, and then, it?s not so much blackout, but forget, so much so that the next morning, I go to read what I wrote, and it?s, like, I?m that cobbler and elves came and wrote it in the night, because I?m, like, "This is better than anything I?ve ever written before." I mean, like, I?ve done comics, but this is way better."-Kevin Smith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_State

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_Cacophony

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_The_Widening_Gyre

Smodcast Internet Radio at Smodcast.com
That is an exception rather than a rule.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
THAC0 said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
You got this far with her without it coming between you, who's to say it'll ever become an issue. You don't have to do it just because she does and who says she'll ever ask you to.

PS: Stick with it. Cause from what I know of stoner girls, you have struck gold my friend.
we got this far, but now i feel bad because she has meet a number of my friends and many people from my social circle, she feels like she can't take me to meet her friends, because they are always smoking pot. seriously, they just never aren't smoking. and she is too, save for the time she spends with me.
She clearly knows you're not into it. And she respects that. To be honest, that means a hell of a lot coming from a girl.

The decision is up to you. Personally, I'd see what comes out of it.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
THAC0 said:
so, i met this girl.

we got along great, blah blah blah, now we are dating. It wasn't like either of us were looking for a relationship, but we ended up in one. not only that, but over the last couple of months we have gotten far more serious than we ever intended.

problem is, she's a pothead. I don't mean she smokes a bit of pot from time to time. I mean she is a freaking stoner that gets high several times each day.

now, i don't really have a problem with it, but it isn't my thing either. I confess to getting high a couple of times when i was younger, but i grew out of it and never really got into the scene. But since she and her friends think that pot is a lifestyle, that kinda puts us in separate spheres.

now, ignoring the fact that i don't really get the whole 420 culture and all that stuff. I have a couple of reason that would make it very very detrimental for me to get caught anywhere close to an illegal drug. and if you agree or not, pot is an illegal drug where i live.

so, how would you guys play this?
do i just go with it and hang out with her and her pothead buddies doing what ever it is potheads do when they are not playing hacky sack and talking about evil corporations?

or do i just insist that she respect my reasons to not want to associate with something that could really really screw me up worse than the average person?
What country do you live in and if its the U.S what state?

Anyways, how is your relationship is strained or do you get in a lot of arguments or anything? Does she have trouble holding down a job and working? Does she shirk on her responsibility to go smoke pot? If not then whats the problem? You have trouble getting along with her friends? As far as I know "stoners" despite the fact I dislike people who make pot a into a sub culture are pretty easy going people and wouldn't mind you hanging around.

You don't have to participant but making an effort to getting to know them might help in less you've already tired that and it doesn't work then you could just say "hey you hang with your friends when you need to and I'll hang with mine" it could be that simple. But if your worried about her being caught for the most part pot has been decriminalized and if its a bigger issue than that ask her to get a prescription if she can. All in all if its all to much trouble you should part ways as best as you can without as much hurt. T

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
THAC0 said:
so, i met this girl.

we got along great, blah blah blah, now we are dating. It wasn't like either of us were looking for a relationship, but we ended up in one. not only that, but over the last couple of months we have gotten far more serious than we ever intended.

problem is, she's a pothead. I don't mean she smokes a bit of pot from time to time. I mean she is a freaking stoner that gets high several times each day.

now, i don't really have a problem with it, but it isn't my thing either. I confess to getting high a couple of times when i was younger, but i grew out of it and never really got into the scene. But since she and her friends think that pot is a lifestyle, that kinda puts us in separate spheres.

now, ignoring the fact that i don't really get the whole 420 culture and all that stuff. I have a couple of reason that would make it very very detrimental for me to get caught anywhere close to an illegal drug. and if you agree or not, pot is an illegal drug where i live.

do i just go with it and hang out with her and her pothead buddies doing what ever it is potheads do when they are not playing hacky sack and talking about evil corporations?

or do i just insist that she respect my reasons to not want to associate with something that could really really screw me up worse than the average person?
Way too much legal fallout. I would try to get her to give it up(more or less) for her own good, and if she doesn't lose her. There are a great many women in the world, and you aren't even looking for a relationship.

dudemanbro-dude

Apr 26, 2011
is this really the best place to ask advice on girl/drug related problems?
i mean yeah maybe 1/4 of us are adults, but thats about it.
my advice would be to ask on 420chan in /qq/ they might be able to help you more than these guys.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
Tell her to respect what you think and you can respect what she does, you just don't want to get involved. If she doesn't get the hint, then well, you need to assert that you don't want to do something that can be that bad for your health just for kicks.
Though unless you can honestly see a future with her, it might be better for you to move on. Nothing good can really come from this from an outsider's point of view.

bluewolf

Apr 16, 2011
Just get rid of her, one of my friends dated a pothead and she got him in real shit with the police somehow.

thecoreyhlltt

Jul 12, 2010
tell her about your worries on the matter and see if you two can work it out so when you're together she doesn't smoke.

i was in an insanely similar relationship a while back, cept i'm the stoner and my gf wasn't. the worst thing you could do is ignore it all.

if she isn't willing to sacrafice getting high ALL the time to be with you then maybe you should just end it... OH! and i'm not saying you're going to do this, but don't deliver an ultimatum, that's when i ended with my ex. she wanted to change my entire life and everything i believe into what suited her. so don't do that either, we stoners don't like change so much :D

best of luck my friend

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
meticadpa said:
Weed is a gateway drug. She might move onto harder stuff, and if you want nothing to do with her current drug habits, you might not know about it until it's too late.

I'd dump her, personally. Like people have said: someone shouldn't be characterised by their drug use.
Gateway drug? Now that is just a flat out lie. If you mean most addicts get started using marijuana, I got news for you, most addicts get started using alcohol and tobacco. If anything alcohol and tobacco are gateway drugs.

thecoreyhlltt

Jul 12, 2010
dudemanbro-dude said:
is this really the best place to ask advice on girl/drug related problems?
i mean yeah maybe 1/4 of us are adults, but thats about it.
my advice would be to ask on 420chan in /qq/ they might be able to help you more than these guys.
ouch mr. dude
just kidding

MrJohnson

May 13, 2009
ITT: People who are basing all their knowledge of marijuana off of 40 year old biased and unprofessional studies with doctored results. Have fun believing studies sponsored with a bias in mind by the government, and with results tainted by entirely unrealistic expectations of smokers and their environment i;e, exposing monkeys 24/7 to smoke, forcing gas masks on the monkey forcing them to inhale nothing but smoke for minutes at a time and depriving them of oxygen.

Also, learn to biology. THC is made up off non-toxic elements naturally found in the human body just not in the same composition. The entire result of smoking marijuana is caused by the activation of CB1 and CB2 receptors in the brain. Completely harmless and does not affect your brain chemistry a bit. In relatively infrequent/smaller amounts than most "stoners" smoke of course. Never mind the fact that self-described "stoners" make up less than 10% of all smokers in the world and that half of the adults you looked up too probably smoked infrequently. And that hundreds of thousands of successful American adults kept up their habit of smoking from when they were younger.

But you know, have fun not actually studying or learning anything for yourself. The basic biology behind marijuana is too complicated for the collection of high horsing pretentious armchair intellectuals in this community to take the time to understand or study at all.

In summary, non-prescription pain-killers and cold medicines, mostly cold medicines really, do far harsher damage to your liver with regular usage than marijuana does to your lung or brain.

To add one last thing to prove that when I say, "In summary" or "Also" I mean I have two more things to add, the receptors activated by THC can help block the spread of cancers in the brain and lung and even the spread of Alzheimers associated amyloid-beta peptide formations.

TL;DR Flame bait for all the arm-chair intellectuals and white knights who know little to nothing about subjects they pretend to be experts on a website about video games to make themselves feel better about how little satisfaction they have with their life overall.

meticadpa

Jul 8, 2010
BlackWidower said:
meticadpa said:
Weed is a gateway drug. She might move onto harder stuff, and if you want nothing to do with her current drug habits, you might not know about it until it's too late.

I'd dump her, personally. Like people have said: someone shouldn't be characterised by their drug use.
Gateway drug? Now that is just a flat out lie. If you mean most addicts get started using marijuana, I got news for you, most addicts get started using alcohol and tobacco. If anything alcohol and tobacco are gateway drugs.
It's the most commonly used illegal drug. While the other two are also gateway drugs, they're perfectly legal. If you look at some statistics online for the cannabis users who moved onto harder drugs, they're quite high. Much higher than normal.

Marcilla

May 3, 2011
meticadpa said:

Indeed, total gateway drug, just like beer is the gateway alcoholic drink.
One day it just a few beer with friends but before you know your sucking dick for tequila shots.
Because thats how addictive substances work right?

Theron Julius

Nov 30, 2009
Nothing good ever results from being around people who abuse substances, especially to the extent that you describe.

thecoreyhlltt

Jul 12, 2010
wow, who would've ever guessed there were soooo many people using the internet that don't know what the fuck they're talking about. i'm reffering of course to all the people who are saying weed is bad for you/ it's a gateway-drug/ dump her because of her beliefs/ or that nothing good could possibly come from your relationship.

instead of age limits on websites they need to invent some sort of lack-of-intelligence limit...
sorry i got off the original topic, i just really hate stupid people who think they're right, i weep for this planets future... :(