my gf is a pothead

Dark2003

Jun 17, 2010
Just deal with it, besides since she smokes so much, you might not like her at all off pot

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
I'd confront her about it, if it makes you uncomfortable. If she doesn't want to stop (or not use as much) for you, dump her. It's Pot, or You.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
If it was an issue for occupation, I would just ask her not to smoke away from me, not being overly concerned or care at all that she does it, just concerned that I don't need a bad test messing things up. If it's really a conflict of lifestyles, if say you can't stand her smoking, then it's an issue. If you have no problems with it, and it's not actually detrimental to your lifestyle, then run with it, just ask her to do it in specific rooms/places, etc.

Sparcrypt

Oct 17, 2007
If you have issues that mean being around pot is bad and she has no indication of giving it up, you guys won't work. Sad but true.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Honestly, If you find someone who you feel has zero faults then move in with them down the line(surely the next logical relationship stop)you'll sure as hell find faults and it'll be a trying time. If you go into that with things that already annoy you after such a short time it wont work. This is not a long term thing atall, if you're just in it for a bit of fun go for it but if you're looking for something serious you're in denyal if you think it can work.

Either she'll keep doing what annoys you and you'll leave her, or she'll stop and begin to miss it and leave you.

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
I would say that if you can't somehow miraculously make her quit, then you should leave her, because this sounds like a relationship that could get more and more unstable the longer it goes on.

Also, LOL relationship threads.

SpyderNynja

Jul 21, 2009
I just came out this same situation. Broke us up pretty hard when she started to care more about the drugs than about me. I'd say, for your own sake, you're better off leaving her. Might just hurt yourself more if you stick around her.

Hoist_that_Rag

Mar 16, 2011
Oh the cries of Reefer Madness.

Alright listen up you speculative burkes and to you the instigator of this thread you seriously need to get your head out of the sand in your ass. You all seriously sound like the Republican Convention circa 1930. The legal status of marijuana has nothing to do with its muscle relaxing and mental introspecting properties, after all George Washington himself had a crop of both male hemp and female cannabis growing in the White House but it was the paper manufacturers tied into the Hearst news empire that campaigned against marijuana as a wicked substance simply because hemp makes better and less resource taxing PAPER. The seeds of hemp are a supervitamin that rivals the best synthetic pill due to over 50 amino acids and 5 base vitamins and those properties carry across to the smoke. Need proof? Heath Ledger dead. Michael Jackson dead. Willie Nelson and Cheech n Chong still got all their fucking hair. It's also a fact that the Medical Adviser of British Parliament between 2002 - 2005 was fired because he did extensive research into drugs and found that marijuana had less harmful effects than alcohol, panadol or even Mcdonald's food.

Anyway enough of the history lesson this is all about you wanks and your righteous ignorance. I don't drink but I don't question the effects alcohol has to everyone around me, I don't see a friend get drunk and hit his girlfriend and blame Cooper's Pale Ale, HE is a dick. I wouldn't break up with a girl I had feelings for because she enjoyed a glass of wine everyday, that's moral superiority and judgment. If you can't get past the fact that she enjoys a natural intoxication straight from mother nature instead of the poison that is filtered from ethanol you're clearly a closed-minded kind of guy so shouldn't mingle with people who want to expand their consciousness. And if you do leave her don't you fucking dare try and make out that she has a problem, this is your problem mate and something either YOU have to get over or not. She hangs out with potheads, you hang out on internet forums, I don't really see the tragedy in her life.

So finally the next time any of you moral crusaders of decency want to comment on a wondrous forest you're all too scared to get lost in because of the ugly truths it holds about you and the world, how about you ask a chemotherapy patient how much pot has ruined their life.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Smoke more pot then. Seriously, not really a hard problem.

Incredibly offensive at all the people saying you should dump her. Doing so is kind of lame considering its your problem, not hers.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Just leave her.

Either she gives up the pot for you.
Or maybe she gives you up for the pot.

There is no middle ground.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Hate to say this, but get rid.

Dope as a one-off is a part of the lifestyle. If it's become the lifestyle, then she will be stealing from you, sleeping with others and other things to get her fix before long.

Sad but true.

If you really care for her, try to make her see what it's doing to her. Ask her to go for a week without, and you give up something (like gaming) for the same time.
It's marijuana, not crack. It's cheaper, doesn't make one as crazy, and is typically done by those who have the money to spare for it. One usually doesn't hear of "pot whores.". I am friends with plenty of users who, aside from taking a blow to their work ethic and becoming more interested in stereotypical stoner culture, are pretty much the same as they were before they started on the stuff. In fact, many consider marijuana to be less dangerous than alcohol.

That said, I really wish some of my friends didn't do pot. It just isn't good for them. Maybe your girlfriend can handle it, though, as a few of my other friends can. I can't tell you if you should break off your relationship, but just make sure she doesn't get you to start smoking, k?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I know some serious stoners...a lot of them...my 'outer family' is practically all serious drug/alcohol abusers. Let's put it this way, I don't like any of them, they all have serious problems and if I never had to see them again I'd be that much happier.

Friends who are more users, are fine and dandy, really I have nothing against people who do it. It's just the people who think smoking entire trees worth is okay to do are mental, every one of them act the same, their minds seem highly dulled, they always have it on their mind. They're always trying to do it and I've seen it ruin a few Christmas parties.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I don't have a problem with potheads when they're localized or just one person- but when it comes to the whole culture that comes with it, of people that just smoke ALL THE TIME, that's just no fun and incredibly annoying when I want to do something different, or be active by doing something other than Ultimate Frisbee or Frisbee Golf.

You've gotten this far with her and her habits, just make sure she knows your feelings about her friends. And of course, both of you be careful about any and all toking going on. Wouldn't consider myself a pothead but I like the occasional toke- and I won't go on for hours about legalization of marijuana- but I do agree that the The Law/Cops overreact when it comes to pot busts and you could get fucked over what is a victim-less crime.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
THAC0 said:
zHellas said:
THAC0 said:
other than the fact that one of them is a crime and that is something i CAN'T be involved with right now.
May I ask why?

You said that several times now, and I'm getting pretty curious.

So would you mind elaborating as to why you can't be involved with a criminal in whatever way?
well, if you must know. i am in the military. As of right now, i ship out this winter (i've already turned down 1 chance to ship early because i wanted to spend the time with her). getting caught with a possession charge would be a great way to end my career before it gets started.
Ah. I thought you were more political rather than military.

Quantom Quak

The Source of All Evil
Jun 12, 2009
Stay away. My ex-gf was a pothead and she eventually went on to "harder" drugs and that made our relationship really hard to deal with.

MrLlamaLlama

Mar 3, 2011
Drugs = NOT a lifestyle. Even pot. It's fine to do when you're stressed maybe once a week if it's your thing, but it's not a lifestyle.

Also when 'Hey can you lend me 10 bucks for gas' becomes (the next day) 'Can you lend me 20 bucks for gas?' and you don't want to be a douche about it and you just go along, and before you know it you're being made an idiot out of.

I'd say you should decide what your stance is on marijuana on a personal level and how big a factor it is in her life. Does she over prioritize marijuana when it comes to her spending ? Does she try to push you into doing it ? Are there times where she'll be fine with putting down the pipe, so to speak, and doing things that you like to do and hang out with your friends ?
Also this. Yes, it's scientifically not as bad for you as alcohol or whatever but that doesn't make it any less detrimental to someone's job / family / partner etc to get involved with.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Dope as a one-off is a part of the lifestyle. If it's become the lifestyle, then she will be stealing from you, sleeping with others and other things to get her fix before long.
That they have weighted priorities in conflicting directions lifestyle wise, I can see maybe looking for a better match, but...

Don't you think that's a bit slippery slope argument if we're just talking about pot, and nothing else?

I mean, I can kinda see that as a cautionary possibility if you're saying "dope" by way of opiate or amphetamine / cocaine addiction or even alcoholism, but... pot?

Having associated with a lot of colorful characters over the course of my time on this rock, generally the worst (and admittedly somewhat sad) case scenario I've seen with chronic stoners is usually just listlessness, apathy, unemployment, underachievement and a disregard for personal hygiene and household cleanliness. Sure, its kinda lame seeing your old friends burnout into a rut, but said people in my experience rarely if ever have are out stealing and whoring themselves for herb.

I'd say that it's MORE true, in my experience, of friends who have gone wayward on harder stuff, but I've also observed (rather ironically) that my burnout stoner buddies don't like to associate with the "riff raff" of tweakers and junkies.

I dunno... I know both high functioning, low functioning and complete trainwrecks of people on all points of the spectrum, including people who won't even take asprin.

---

EDT: Nevermind, I read the reply you posted earlier on in the thread. Fairs fair, though the above text is my own 0.02 anecdote, for what its worth.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
All you guys crusading on pot should be legal, just because it's illegal it's not wrong etc. need to read what they guy has been saying, it's not the pot he has a problem with it's the fact it is illegal and he cannot be getting a criminal record doing the job he is doing. We arn't debating the law just that this is what the law says and guess what... it's illegal and so from a position where a criminal record with kill your career you can't even be around this stuff just incase.