My laptop probably can't run Oblivion so is Morrowind a worthy substitute?

Mar 12, 2009
I saw the Oblivion GOTY deluxe edition on Steam for £25 which isn't too shabby but I'm not entirely sure if my laptop can run it which would make it a risky purchase.

However, it can definitely run Morrowind, whose GOTY deluxe edition is on sale for £13, and I can get some mods to make the graphics more like Oblivion's.

So my question to experience Morrowind players is thus: is Morrowind just as fun as Oblivion?

Lemeza

Jun 20, 2009
Morrowind is infinitly better than Oblivion. I used to play both (until Oblivion broke) and Morrowind is miles better.

egwidalin

May 8, 2009
many people think morowind is better either because it has a LOT more content, or to sound like more dedicated fans. however, from every person i know, including myself, oblivion is the funner game. Much less buggy (lol hard to believe) more balanced, and easier to get into. So if u want more game to sink time into, morrowind, if u want a better, shorter experience, oblivion. =]

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Morrowind is different, it's dated these days but it's still an excellent game and one you should play even if you could play Oblivion.

Just watch out for Cliff Racers.

You may be seeing this more often than you think.

Lemeza

Jun 20, 2009
egwidalin said:
Much less buggy (lol hard to believe)
Umm... I can't remember the last time Morrowind did any thing buggy. There are plenty of unoffical patchs and mods that clear up all the bugs (and one that makes cliffracers die out when you kill X amount).

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Lemeza said:
egwidalin said:
Much less buggy (lol hard to believe)
Umm... I can't remember the last time Morrowind did any thing buggy. There are plenty of unoffical patchs and mods that clear up all the bugs (and one that makes cliffracers die out when you kill X amount).
I managed to break the Dagoth Ur encounter as I recall. Fun times.

z0nbie

Jan 20, 2009
check this out first, it will tell you if you can run it or not

http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Morrowind is much more frustrating to get into than Oblivion, but if you're willing to put in the effort, Morrowind is much more rewarding.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
*scoff* are you serious? Morrowind is a far superior game! It may take you longer to get in to the swing of things, but when you do you'll feel like a god. Not to mention that you can make an unlimited doomsday spell of burn-ey death.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I'm surprised how many people are saying Morrowind is better than Oblivion. Oblivion is basically a version of Morrowind which has been improved in just about every way.

Well, Morrowind is a bit more... alien? Unique-feeling? By this I mean Oblivion has more of a 'standard fantasy fare' vibe going for it. Morrowind was conceived to create a different feel by concentrating on spinning a unique province with a very specific Dark Elf culture. Being caught out during a dust storm in Morrowind is an interesting experience you won't find in Oblivion.

But that's about it. Aside from that, Oblivion was (as I said) a straight forward improvement in just about every aspect.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Lots of people believe Morrowind is better. I though Oblivion was terrible, so don't ask me...Wait you didn't, what am I doing here? *Runs*

Purple Shrimp

Oct 7, 2008
OBLIVION PROS:
better graphics
less weird combat system
more daedric quests

MORROWIND PROS:
Not a generic fantasy setting
better + cooler quests
better expansions
more immersive

Chechosaurus

Jul 20, 2008
Morrowind is a truly excellent game. So it's a tad out of date these days but I still play it now. I've completed it through and become head of every guild and done practically every side quest more times than I care to mention and I'm doing it all again. Trust me, for £13 you cannot pass that up. I played my last copy so much that the disk actually broke. I mean, it shattered in the disk drive. The expansions for it are great and there is some really good user made content which you can download. There are some wicked samurai expansions you can get.