My Little Pony Heads Down Fury Road in Mad Max Toy Mash-Up

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
My Little Pony Heads Down Fury Road in Mad Max Toy Mash-Up

Custom toy maker SaveTheWailes has created a collection of My Little Pony toys remodeled for the world of Mad Max.

Crossovers really are the darnedest things. In fact, a lot of time, until you see two things mixed together, you would never imagine them as being a good match. Take <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/my+little+pony>My Little Pony and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/reviews/cinemarter/13924-Mad-Max-Fury-Road-Review>Mad Max. One's an animated series about colorful, family-friendly ponies while the other's a post-apocalyptic action series complete with all the violence and car chases you could ever want.

The thing is, when you really think about, the most recent iterations of both series actually have a lot in common. Both, for instance, spent years lying mostly dormant until they received unlikely revivals that made them into big hits with tons of fans. And wouldn't you know it, when you mix them together the end results are pretty awesome.

If you don't believe us, we'd suggest you take a look at a series of Mad Max/My Little Pony toys recently put together by custom toy maker SaveTheWailes. Ms. Wailes created the awesome toys by taking some toys from the original My Little Pony TV series and modifying them with polymer clay, acrylic paint, leather and fake fur. She based her four Fury Road ponies off of the characters Nux, Max, Furiosa and Immortan Joe. People interested in purchasing these will be able to find them and their creator at the next Awesome Con.

[gallery=4226]
Now we just need some Mad Max renditions of the modern My Little Pony characters. Don't get us wrong, <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMlPMUzV9Nc>Twilight Sparkle as Solid Snake was great, but we want to see the modern cast get their own Fury Road transformations. Let us know what you think and which ponies and Mad Max characters you'd like to see mixed together.

Source: <a href=http://savethewailes.tumblr.com/post/120186445031/mad-max-fury-road-ponies-because-i-am-a-monster>SaveTheWailes

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I'm only surprised this took so long to happen. Ponify everything!

This are amazingly adorably hideous.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So is it ok to talked about MLP now? Last time I've check when this site post a pony related news, there was a whole lots of shitstorm that brew up but yet again I pretty sure most of those lots are gone by now.

OT- It pretty neat despite it is somewhat creepy.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
...that is by far the most terrifying abomination of imagination that I've ever seen.

Like...worse the Human Centipede 3. o.o

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
And so, the ponifying of everything continues. [small]Yay![/small]

Also this polyfication reminds me of this:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well, we already know that Rarity is ready for this.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
RJ 17 said:
Human Centipede 3. o.o
There was a third? THERE WAS A SECOND?

OT:
That em . . . That is hmm.
The car models in the background are nice.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
The Fallout: Equestria subset of the fandom has been exploring this kind of topic for years now. There's an absolute mountain of content, including a gargantuan fanfic comprised of 45 chapters and over 620,000 words. I have no idea if it's any good or not (I prefer to stick to the show), but apparently it has a huge following.

Scarim Coral said:
So is it ok to talked about MLP now? Last time I've check when this site post a pony related news, there was a whole lots of shitstorm that brew up but yet again I pretty sure most of those lots are gone by now.

These are G1 toys, so they get a free pass due to nostalgia. Also, the topic isn't the same "hot button" issue it used to be when FiM first came out. I guess that's one of the upsides about the internet's short attention span.
StewShearer said:
Don't get us wrong, <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMlPMUzV9Nc>Twilight Sparkle as Solid Snake was great
Does this mean Discord is Liquid Snake? [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Oe41zqsYqA]

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
Neverhoodian said:
The Fallout: Equestria subset of the fandom has been exploring this kind of topic for years now. There's an absolute mountain of content, including a gargantuan fanfic comprised of 45 chapters and over 620,000 words. I have no idea if it's any good or not (I prefer to stick to the show), but apparently it has a huge following.
I'm actually reading that right now, and I can assure you that it is as good as they say.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
K.ur said:
RJ 17 said:
Human Centipede 3. o.o
There was a third? THERE WAS A SECOND?
That was my reaction when a review for Human Centipede 3 popped up here on the Escapist. Honestly can't believe they made a sequel to that movie...let alone a 3rd.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Let's face it. I don't think anyone is suprised by this. And frankly, there's far worse stuff out there *CoughCupcakesCough*.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Dalisclock said:
Let's face it. I don't think anyone is suprised by this. And frankly, there's far worse stuff out there *CoughCupcakesCough*.
What? ;p Cupcakes is awesome.
Like rainbow factory...
And... Other stuff

Then again I also liked Happy Tree Friends before I ever got around to MLP, so... I'm used to the absurd combination it creates... XD

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
Neverhoodian said:

Scarim Coral said:

These are G1 toys, so they get a free pass due to nostalgia. Also, the topic isn't the same "hot button" issue it used to be when FiM first came out. I guess that's one of the upsides about the internet's short attention span.
StewShearer said:
Don't get us wrong, <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMlPMUzV9Nc>Twilight Sparkle as Solid Snake was great
Does this mean Discord is Liquid Snake? [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Oe41zqsYqA]
Fallout: Equestria is good. Very, very, very good. Good enough that I would recommend it to people that neither watch MLP or play Fallout. I will say, though, that if you intend to read it you should probably dedicate yourself to reading at least the first 5 chapters - the earliest ones are the weakest, in my opinion, and it takes time to get moving (a bit like the show itself, really).

Also, do not start reading it during a time when you have a lot of things going on. I did so during my mid-terms week. It was a poor decision.

On the topic at hand, impressive art and crossovers are hardly alien to the fandom. Glad to see it getting a spotlight, though it is a shame that the base in question was one of the prior generations. We of course owe a debt to the predecessors, but personally I believe that Generation 4-based art is of a higher quality. Speaking of MLP-Mad Max crossovers, though, I found this one recently:

http://piecee01.deviantart.com/art/What-A-Lovely-Day-533420325

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
Marxie said:
Idsertian said:
I'm actually reading that right now, and I can assure you that it is as good as they say.
Lord Garnaat said:
Fallout: Equestria is good. Very, very, very good.
No it isn't. As in - it's not good literature. In no was it is. FoE is rather an epitome of everything that makes fanfiction both immortal and shit - it's HUGE, maniacally detailed and worked-through, addictive and has a fuckton of likeable characters. Although it doesn't save most of that volume from being pointless "Fallout 3 Walkthrough with Pone"-water, and does not make the detailing of the setting or the characters themselves clever, original or believable.

It's basically the crystal meth of literature - if you consume it with no afterthought, it makes you feel great, but only by pressing your most fundamental joy buttons. And it's really not good for you.

Personal addition - it does not capture the Point of neither Fallout, nor My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. The things that made both of those work. They are not there, and that is simply unforgivable.
I hope you'll forgive me for saying so, but that's a rather strange stance. Surely having great characters and being incredibly detailed and well thought-out is a sign of good literature? What about it exactly disqualifies it?

In regards to it being "the crystal meth of literature," I'll certainly agree that it is unbelievably addicting, but I can't see how it isn't good for you.

As to it not capturing the point of the source materials, I disagree entirely. What is the "point" of Fallout? In terms of themes, I would say that it is about the folly of war, the destructiveness of flawed people, and juxtaposition of bright, 1950's style scientific optimism with the reality of nuclear devastation brought by paranoia and hate. Fallout: Equestria has this in spades, with the utter destruction brought by the war and the contrast between bright optimism and the apocalypse that much more pronounced with the MLP setting - perhaps even more so than the original, considering just how dark and poignant it can be with the pre-war flashbacks.

And what is the point of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? Why, it is right there in the title: that friendship is magic. This story is ultimately, completely, and inherently about that very idea. The war occurred because the Mane Six and Equestria in general drifted apart from that ideal. The journey of the protagonist is, from the very start, about her learning to rely on her friends, understanding that they will help her shoulder burdens she couldn't handle otherwise. The first and last moral of the story is the same as that of the show: that together is better than apart, and that there is no obstacle or failing you might come across that cannot be overcome with help from those that you care about and who care about you. It might be a darker setting, but it keeps the incredible optimism and sincerity intact.

I would argue that not only does KKat's excellent story perfectly capture the "point" of both works, but that she compliments the two in such a perfect way that it creates a new whole that contains the best qualities of either.

Marxie said:
Idsertian said:
Lord Garnaat said:
On the topic at hand, impressive art and crossovers are hardly alien to the fandom.
I honestly think that crossoverability is what killing the fandom for me. No, I'm not a hater of crossovers - actually enjoyed a plenty of examples. What I'm talking about is more hereditary. The thing is - after a few years we had (yeah, S01 oldfag ITT, get in the car!) this "mix pony with everything!" principle led to all the creativity in the fandom becoming so homogenized, it's not really creative anymore. Yeah, now we don't believe but actually know - MLP goes with everything, from Plato to wh40k. This idea, exciting and fresh at first, was explored, drilled, drained dry, burned, killed, left to rot and now is being beaten like a certain animal of the species relative to the one the show works with. While it's still shocking to the normies at times, this thread be the evidence, there is zero new ideas here. "HEY LOOK CUSTOMISED G1 MINIS A-LA (insert something that should not mix well with miniature technicolor horses according to common sense)" works great for the first few hundreds of times. Then everything mixing well with ponies becomes common sense and you're left questioning "Yeeeaah, so what?"

So what? Nothing. The basic idea is drained, any deeper development can only give us something as shallow as FoE, and there is nothing else to offer aside from this and The Show itself.

Now, The Show has some fantastic, simply put priceless ideas. I seriously see MLP: FiM as one of the greatest achievements of human culture for the last century. Buuuuuuuut. Yeah. You know where I am heading with it. It ran dry as well. It said what it had to say, and now is forced to awkwardly remain in spotlight like a stand-up comedian that ran out of jokes not based on using the n- and f-words. Although the episodes are still rather good (I personally had almost a better time watching the 4th season than I did watching the first two), and one episode from S05 actually had The Thing.

It's been more than a year since I stopped browsing image dumps for new pony art. At first I thought it was just me, but all my fandom pals had lost their fire as well, and taking a quick look at the arts I think - "By Celestia, they ARE all the same! I'm not imagining things!"
There's a plenty of hobbies and fandoms I've been with longer than MLP, but while any argument on every small aspect of Warhammer 40k actually feels as engaging as it was 10 years ago, there is literally no way for me to ask the question "Who is the best pony?" unironically.

So, tl;dr - yes, MLP crossovers greatly with ANYTHING. That has been the driving force behind the fandom's creativity and quite some time ago it became a total dead horse. I don't get any good emotions from seeing it get beaten again.
I certainly agree with you about the quality of the series, its significance in our culture, and the applicability of MLP crossovers. I must disagree, however, that a love of crossover does anything to dilute that creativity. The ponification process might be a longstanding tradition of the fandom, but is extremely varied in its application - something that can be done in an endless variety of ways to an endless amount of subjects. That alone, I think, shields it from the enemy of "the same-old-thing." I understand your desire to not beat the (metaphorical) horse, but it seems limiting to dismiss all crossover art on that account.

I am sad to hear that you gave up on pony art, not the least because I believe that it is as strong as it ever was. If I didn't have an LSAT tomorrow that I need to study for, I would provide examples, but you should truly consider diving in again - there is a lot of quality work on display.