My Little Pony - The Movie - Bring it, Bronies

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
My Little Pony - The Movie - Bring it, Bronies

Your love and friendship can be directed at me in the comments.

Read Full Article

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Oh come on, you just reviewed a movie you said was made too late, you can't do two of them in a row.

Seriously, though, I could see this movie doing a lot better just one or two years ago, but nowdays the bronydom seems to have quieted substantially. Not completely, but enough to hurt viewing figures a lot, I'd imagine.

Oh, and this is in "most commented" before my post.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I don't disagree with the score you gave it. I quite liked it but if your not a fan of the show, there isn't much for you. Although this review does kinda seem like someone who doesn't like rpg games reviewing final fantasy.

"In the year 2010, back when the internet was still fun, Hasbro decided to create another TV show based on its My Little Pony toy line. It was aimed at pre-teen girls but, for reasons that will never be fully understood by humanity, was embraced by older males in their 20s and 30s. Normally, that's not a problem, as almost everyone likes things that are not made "for" them. But the "bronies," as they have since become known as, it was an obsession. Many of them started using pony puns and .gifs in conversations and areas that were not receptive to them, then cried "oppression" when others reacted negatively."

Its this part I have issues with since its sooooo stupid. Its easy to tell why the show attracted a wider audience, its a good show with fantastic characters and an appealing visual style. HOW IS THAT HARD TO UNDERSTAND!? Really at this point you have to be willfully ignorant to say something like that. The second part there is just stupid also, if you go into a thread that is about ponies that was posted in an off topic location with the intention of hating, of course your gonna get blow back because you are looking for a fight and the internet is always looking for a fight.

"Anyway, it became something of a contentious issue for a year or two until the bronies got tired of showcasing their love of a show for children with the world. I've been told that part of the reason for this was because the showrunner, Lauren Faust, left midway through the second season and the show declined in quality in the seasons that followed."

Wrong again, really the show posting tended to fall off once the haters stop being dinks. Why do you think ponies have come back here, because someone was being a dink. Also you are totally full of it if you think the earlier seasons are better than season 5, 6 and 7. Those are the best ones yet.

American Tanker said:
Jacked Assassin said:
It isn't a Sonic The Hedgehog movie.
Honestly, I'd rather have a Sonic movie than this shit.
Also, hi tanker, here is your forum mandated pony.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
inb4 Ameri- dangit.

I'm glad you're back again, hopefully you get some real patrons this time around.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Oh hey there's American Tanker, actively searching out the thing he supposedly hates. Honestly, I haven't been a fan of the show for a good long while now but I thought 'why not' when my boyfriend proposed watching it and I ended up really enjoying it. No brony here but I was genuinely surprised how much I like it considered how much I grew to dislike the show after a while. I could go on for a bit but i doubt many would care to hear it out

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
kenu12345 said:
Oh hey there's American Tanker, actively searching out the thing he supposedly hates.
Right???

I'm surprised by this score, but I won't be seeing it so I can't really judge. To my surprise though, the Rotten Tomatoes score is at 50% right now. Yikes...

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Jacked Assassin said:
http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Untitled_Sonic_the_Hedgehog_feature_film

Also:

"In the year 2010, back when the internet was still fun, Hasbro decided to create another TV show based on its My Little Pony toy line. It was aimed at pre-teen girls but, for reasons that will never be fully understood by humanity, was embraced by older males in their 20s and 30s. Normally, that's not a problem, as almost everyone likes things that are not made "for" them. But the "bronies," as they have since become known as, it was an obsession. Many of them started using pony puns and .gifs in conversations and areas that were not receptive to them, then cried "oppression" when others reacted negatively."

I'm sorry, that's not how it worked.

Now, I've never done the whole 'post a pony' thing, but in my experience, people do that because people are already being assholes about it. Basically along the lines of:

Brony: I like MLP.

Asshole: (Insert asshole comment here.)

Brony: Ponies!

In personal experience, I never went to stage 3, because sometimes, discretion is the better part of valor. Maybe the proverbial step 3 was done sometimes, but that's because people were already reacting to it.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Marter said:
Normally, that's not a problem, as almost everyone likes things that are not made "for" them. But the "bronies," as they have since become known as, it was an obsession. Many of them started using pony puns and .gifs in conversations and areas that were not receptive to them, then cried "oppression" when others reacted negatively.

Almost like it was a harbinger of awfulness to come for the internet...
Oh look, someone trying to shame bronies for liking what they like. Is it 2011 again? In light of more recent events surrounding certain fandoms, I'd say inserting pony references online is pretty benign, wouldn't you say? And is that a not-so-subtle attempt to try and connect bronies with SJWs I see? You do realize that conservatives bronies and military bronies [https://www.facebook.com/militarybronies/] exist, right? I doubt you'll see many of them crying about "muh oppression" and demanding "safe spaces."

But don't worry, I'm not offended. I'm just disappointed to see the same old tired "lel bronies sure are kooky, amirite?" preface when it has little to no bearing on the movie itself.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I might try watching this movie sometime, in an attempt to step into the MLP world for a bit. Never seen an episode, it just didn't appeal to me, so chances are I won't really get exactly what's going on, but that's alright.

See from what I understand, it seems like the kind of thing I might even enjoy (the animation looks nice, apparently it has well-thought out characters, etc) - but if I do, I'd consider this show a guilty pleasure... meaning that I don't advertise my love for it everywhere I go. I would have that thought that many others would've thought the same - but for many bronies I've encountered, this is the hill they're willing to die on, and that's what confuses me more than anything.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
@American Tanker:
Be careful what you wish for...mwahahhahahaa

Also, at OP:
Glad to see someone is trying to bring some clicks to this site...even if it is with a troll bait title.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Auron225 said:
I might try watching this movie sometime, in an attempt to step into the MLP world for a bit. Never seen an episode, it just didn't appeal to me, so chances are I won't really get exactly what's going on, but that's alright.

See from what I understand, it seems like the kind of thing I might even enjoy (the animation looks nice, apparently it has well-thought out characters, etc) - but if I do, I'd consider this show a guilty pleasure... meaning that I don't advertise my love for it everywhere I go. I would have that thought that many others would've thought the same - but for many bronies I've encountered, this is the hill they're willing to die on, and that's what confuses me more than anything.
I quite liked the movie, but I wouldn't recommend it as a starting point. It really doesn't do a good job of establishing the mane cast. If you want to try the show out I can recommend a few episodes to check out. You can find most of them on dailymotion or around the net on various places.

Probably the best episodes to start with are Lesson Zero, Party of One, Suited for Success and Return of Harmony. (2 part episode)

Really I didn't get into it till I found a character I liked and kept watching to see more of her. I mean I still watched most of it initially while drinking.

ima420r

Aug 14, 2008
I'm not a big fan, but I have watched most of the show and all the other movies. My daughter is 17 now and wanted to see it, and I thought I would be bored. It was actually kinda fun! It had some humor, it was well animated, and I enjoyed it. It helped that it was only us in the theater with a couple of little girls and their mom. The girls were entertaining as they danced when the music played and one was very upset when two of the characters had a fight and yelled at each other. Cute as a button they were. I'd give it 3.5/5 stars.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I imagine this is like most other "TV Show Movie" thing where if you like the show in question, you will like the movie and if you don't like the show in question, you will not care for the movie.

Your review certainly seems to confirm that expectation; cool if you're a MLP fan but there's nothing here that will convince me to turn into a bronie. A movie for the fans and the fans alone.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
Worgen said:
Also, hi tanker, here is your forum mandated pony.
lacktheknack said:
inb4 Ameri- dangit.
Klagermeister said:
You're pretty quick to step into threads discussing stuff you dislike
Tanis said:
@American Tanker: Be careful what you wish for...mwahahhahahaa
While I appreciate this comment section getting some traffic, hopping in just to antagonize someone isn't really a cool way to go about it. Keep the comments section more to the review than poking fun at your fellow forum users, if you'd please.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
I imagine this is like most other "TV Show Movie" thing where if you like the show in question, you will like the movie and if you don't like the show in question, you will not care for the movie.

Your review certainly seems to confirm that expectation; cool if you're a MLP fan but there's nothing here that will convince me to turn into a bronie. A movie for the fans and the fans alone.
Generally I thought that too but Tamara from Channel Awesome just did a vid on it and she hasn't seen the series and she ended up really liking it.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
American Tanker said:
Jacked Assassin said:
Honestly, I'd rather have a Sonic movie than this shit.
Hawki said:
Jacked Assassin said:
http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Untitled_Sonic_the_Hedgehog_feature_film
Still doesn't change the fact that Sonic fandom is creepier than MLP. [https://youtu.be/fMihrAbG4RY?t=174]

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Worgen said:
tippy2k2 said:

Generally I thought that too but Tamara from Channel Awesome just did a vid on it and she hasn't seen the series and she ended up really liking it.
Eh, didn't care for the episode I saw [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.317866-Best-MLP-episode-for-converting-people#12946298] (how's that for a blast from the past?) and I'm not going to take the time to watch it just in case somehow everything I've seen from reviewers is wrong.

I'm glad you got a movie you liked out of it though.