My problem with Bethesda games

cgride555

Aug 15, 2008
So, don't get me wrong, Oblivion was close to the best game ever made, as was Fallout 3. I have gone back to Fallout 3 while waiting in eager anticipation for the next Elder Scrolls (some time away I do realize), but I can't help feeling like these games are missing something... which is true of every video game ever made everywhere, because lets face it there is no perfect game!

My problem is how expansive these games are. In Fallout 3, for example, you go into a side quest, find the main prerogative for yourself, then are given a bit of dialog. Should you choose to change your mind on any given option, you have to find another individual to continue the mission. This can be quite time consuming given the amount of hallways and doors you must pass through.

Can they possibly cut down on the travel time... make events closer together! That or rectify the fast travel system! I play COD or Bethesda, and in comparison I can take as much time completing a single quest in Fallout that I can 20 rounds on multi-player for MW2. Call me lazy if you wish, but I can't count the number of times I've stumbled across an empty locker or gotten lost in a museum or factory. Just gets a bit frustrating is all.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
None of the points you just listed apply to ANY of the Elder Scrolls games, except maybe Arena.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
what's wrong with the fast travel system as soon as you start oblivion you can literally teleport to every single major town, and after you find a new place you can teleport there to

Konaerix

May 19, 2010
Fallout 3 just got me all depressed, other then that I've never really tried Bethesda games. (Because I hear that they all suck sadly)

Paulie92

Mar 6, 2010
I'm just gonna say this again Morrowind was the greatest Bethesda game (and seriously who has a lock door spell in a game where only you can go through doors then in the sequel enables enemies to go through doors but gets rid of lock spells... hur dur)

Oblivion and Fallout 3's problem are in my opinion not overly expansive but a little limiting I always find myself doing the same things for the first hour to hour and a half of play or finding the quest choices always answered in the same way as it's the only one that makes sense (that and Oblivion was just medieval Europe again)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Konaerix said:
Fallout 3 just got me all depressed, other then that I've never really tried Bethesda games. (Because I hear that they all suck sadly)
That's incorrect... Daggerfall is from Bethesda, and I stand by the notion that it's the best fantasy RPG... ever.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Paulie92 said:
(and seriously who has a lock door spell in a game where only you can go through doors then in the sequel enables enemies to go through doors but gets rid of lock spells... hur dur)
Bethesda got it right, then wrecked it... play Daggerfall, where humanoids and undead can open doors, and a fleeing mage can spell-lock the door to gain escape time (it's also only a delay, as all doors can be broken down, at expense of stealth).

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
The problem with Fallout 3 is that it barely has any side quests. The reason for the long travel time is to make the game seem larger, but you can also use the fast travel system. I agree that the instances (or whatever they're called) are really fucking confusing. I've spent almost an hour playing Fallout 3, while trying to navigate through a cave system. I could not find the exit.

cgride555

Aug 15, 2008
PoisonUnagi said:
None of the points you just listed apply to ANY of the Elder Scrolls games, except maybe Arena.
tediousness in the dungeon quests in Oblivion? yes.. though I'll agree with you it was far less of an issue than Fallout 3.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Judas Iscariot said:
Im sorry. You lost me when you claimed Oblivion was close to the best game ever made.
Seriously... Bethesda games are horseshit. Vanilla Oblivion is crap.
Bethesda does not get credit for fan made content.
I call it the 'diamond in the ruff' scenario, though can likely be applied to more than just Bethesda games (despite being the most prominent example.)

Bethesda release the workings of a good game, but it really falls upon the fan community to finish it. Or, from what I've heard regarding the PC version, make it work at all.

cgride555

Aug 15, 2008
Judas Iscariot said:
Im sorry. You lost me when you claimed Oblivion was close to the best game ever made.
Seriously... Bethesda games are horseshit. Vanilla Oblivion is crap.
Bethesda does not get credit for fan made content.
agree to disagree, but they are the best games I've played on my 360 so far outside of MW2.

Moonmover

Feb 12, 2009
You know you can click on anything on the world map to warp there, don't you, cgride555?

Mimssy

Dec 1, 2009
Aylaine said:
Mmm, my issue are the bugs. I can handle everything else, but when my game is constantly CTD like no other, it's time to find a new game or pray the fan community found a fix for it. x.x
I've never figured out why their games are always so freakin' buggy. Does no one check this? I can see a few little ones, but when there's tons on damn near every quest, it gets a bit much.

geekRAGE

Aug 23, 2010
My problem with Bethesda games is that they're just not good. Why would an RPG have a difficulty slider for starters? I played Oblivion with mutilple characters it was always just the same thing no matter what "class" you chose. As for Fallout 3 that game was just...ugh.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
The only problem that I have with them is the ability to completely loose yourself in it, sure you can get close, but it lacks a level of role-playing that would make you able to live another life in that game. You could spend you're in game days fighting trough caves in Oblivion, until it starts to get late, then retire to your home for the night; maybe spent a day trading in the market then go have dinner at a resterant.You could try to do that in Oblivion, but it just misses a certian feel to it, same with Fallout 3.

Other then not having the worst part of Fable 2 in them, Bethseda games are great if you're into a large open world American RPG.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
My problem is the character models, they all have chubby faces and dead soulless eyes.
Creeps the piss out of me, oh and the shooting controls in Fallout 3 were kind of bad. You needed VATS, otherwise you'd waste all of your precious ammo.

Plus, Fallout 3 was the only Bethesda game that I actually kind of liked, and even then my reaction to it is a meh. A positive meh, but still a meh.

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
Aylaine said:
Mmm, my issue are the bugs. I can handle everything else, but when my game is constantly CTD like no other, it's time to find a new game or pray the fan community found a fix for it. x.x
The fan community usually does XD god bless those invisible hordes of internet people who get annoyed at the same things you do, only they've gotten annoyed sooner than you and already fixed it :D

Oh, and god bless PC gaming. Downloading that new Nehrim mod thingy for oblivion as we speak.

OT: I dont mind, I think it caters well to the sort of people who play them. You'll actually find with regard to travel time, that if you just relax and go for a wander from place to place, you'll discover a fair few interesting things to do. Probably Oblivion moreso than Fallout 3, but theres still plenty there too. Case in point, you're feeling twitchy and 'wanna play interesting fast paced game now', then yeah, hit up CoD or BFBC2, they're fun. If you wanna lose yourself in some ambience and discovery, go for a jog in Oblivion.

Take care :)

-L