My problem with Bethesda games

nezroy

Oct 3, 2008
Judas Iscariot said:
Bethesda does not get credit for fan made content.
Well, they should. There are far too many games that fail to release a decent toolset or to continue supporting it once it's out the door.

Paulie92

Mar 6, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Paulie92 said:
(and seriously who has a lock door spell in a game where only you can go through doors then in the sequel enables enemies to go through doors but gets rid of lock spells... hur dur)
Bethesda got it right, then wrecked it... play Daggerfall, where humanoids and undead can open doors, and a fleeing mage can spell-lock the door to gain escape time (it's also only a delay, as all doors can be broken down, at expense of stealth).
Was Daggerfall the first in the series? Sounds badarse unfortunately also sounds old, any tips as to where I could find it?

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Judas Iscariot said:
Im sorry. You lost me when you claimed Oblivion was close to the best game ever made.
Seriously... Bethesda games are horseshit. Vanilla Oblivion is crap.
Bethesda does not get credit for fan made content.
WHEE-AWW WHEE-AWW, Oops, thats the hyperbole police, coming to take you away and lock you up in Exaggeration-traz!

crazyguy668

Jul 15, 2009
i never got the hate for em, i personnally loved oblivion and liked FO3, though i wish it had more side quests and less focused on vats. they were a bit buggy, but i loved that about oblivion, randomly getting a quest done or finding someone you had to kill already dead and was pretty funny. you had to save a good bit, for me it crashed about every 2 and a half hours. i got like 1.5k saves and probably at least 200 hours on it.

EDIT havent gotten any non official mopds, just a little dlc for em

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Paulie92 said:
(and seriously who has a lock door spell in a game where only you can go through doors then in the sequel enables enemies to go through doors but gets rid of lock spells... hur dur)
Bethesda got it right, then wrecked it... play Daggerfall, where humanoids and undead can open doors, and a fleeing mage can spell-lock the door to gain escape time (it's also only a delay, as all doors can be broken down, at expense of stealth).
I really want to get into Daggerfall, but I can't find a way to initiate any quests, or find any dungeons that aren't way too easy... can I get some starter tips?

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Konaerix said:
Fallout 3 just got me all depressed, other then that I've never really tried Bethesda games. (Because I hear that they all suck sadly)
Try Morrowind, I've never heard a bad word spoken about it.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I thought the fast travel system was game breaking, they should have kept the silt striders from Morrowind or perhaps a bus system for Fallout 3.

It's an RPG, things take a while to find/get into, if you don't like that well there's probably a mod for that but if you're on console you're boned.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
SL33TBL1ND said:
Konaerix said:
Fallout 3 just got me all depressed, other then that I've never really tried Bethesda games. (Because I hear that they all suck sadly)
You haven't been paying attention. There are a few folks around here who bemoan Morrowind's horrible combat system (the one thing Oblivion unequivocally improved) and plethora of bugs.

It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but there are plenty of bad things one could say about it.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Aylaine said:
Mmm, my issue are the bugs. I can handle everything else, but when my game is constantly CTD like no other, it's time to find a new game or pray the fan community found a fix for it. x.x
The crashing is caused because the games are designed around a console's hardware. They do a piss poor job of porting it to the PC.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
SimuLord said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Konaerix said:
You haven't been paying attention. There are a few folks around here who bemoan Morrowind's horrible combat system (the one thing Oblivion unequivocally improved) and plethora of bugs.

It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but there are plenty of bad things one could say about it.
Ok, I exaggerate, what I meant was I've never heard anyone say that there were significant problems with Morrowind.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Aylaine said:
True. I'd have stopped playing FO3 much sooner if it wasn't for FO3 Nexus. xD
Was this before or after they had Beware of Girl as a featured mod? I didn't notice and then... BOOM full frontal... *headdesks*

EDIT:Oh, question marks, how you escape from me so often. :(

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Mimssy said:
Aylaine said:
Mmm, my issue are the bugs. I can handle everything else, but when my game is constantly CTD like no other, it's time to find a new game or pray the fan community found a fix for it. x.x
I've never figured out why their games are always so freakin' buggy. Does no one check this? I can see a few little ones, but when there's tons on damn near every quest, it gets a bit much.
They've decided only those who can figure out how to bypass the bugs are worthy of playing their games. :p

Anyways, my biggest problem with Bethesda's games has also been the bugs. I still look forward to New Vegas, though, and I have to say, it is far more deserving of the title Oblivion with guns then Fallout 3 ever was.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
I honestly don't understand all the fast travel hate. You aren't forced to use it. Bethesda employees don't break into your home and make you use their fast travel system. The games aren't multiplayer, so other people using fast travel should bother no one.

What's everyone's major malfunction with it? It mostly seems like people just want a reason to complain. "Argh! That feature that can make the game easier for people that don't want to run everywhere, but that I don't have to use! I hate that!"

I got a mod that turned it off even. It isn't hard guys.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
cgride555 said:
So, don't get me wrong, Oblivion was close to the best game ever made, as was Fallout 3. I have gone back to Fallout 3 while waiting in eager anticipation for the next Elder Scrolls (some time away I do realize), but I can't help feeling like these games are missing something... which is true of every video game ever made everywhere, because lets face it there is no perfect game!

My problem is how expansive these games are. In Fallout 3, for example, you go into a side quest, find the main prerogative for yourself, then are given a bit of dialog. Should you choose to change your mind on any given option, you have to find another individual to continue the mission. This can be quite time consuming given the amount of hallways and doors you must pass through.

Can they possibly cut down on the travel time... make events closer together! That or rectify the fast travel system! I play COD or Bethesda, and in comparison I can take as much time completing a single quest in Fallout that I can 20 rounds on multi-player for MW2. Call me lazy if you wish, but I can't count the number of times I've stumbled across an empty locker or gotten lost in a museum or factory. Just gets a bit frustrating is all.
Let me get this straight. You're comparing multiplayer rounds in an FPS to the time spent in an RPG? I get what you're trying to say, you get quicker and cheaper satisfaction from a 15 minute round in MW2. My problem is you're comparing apples to oranges here--no, apples to watermelons. The fun and experience you get out of playing an RPG is no where near the same as you would from an FPS. Your problem seems to lie in the fact that your expecting one thing and getting something entirely different. And I'm not saying that one is better than the other. It comes down to what you want from a game.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
thenoblitt said:
what's wrong with the fast travel system as soon as you start oblivion you can literally teleport to every single major town, and after you find a new place you can teleport there to
The problem is that it, along with the compass, kills the charm of exploring the world and also makes the game much shorter

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
the only thing i find bad about bethseda is that they often get a good a idea ad kill it or over complicate it.

P.S am i the only one here who actually loved fable 1 and enjoyed fable 2?

Beach_Sided

Jun 25, 2010
voetballeeuw said:
The problem with Fallout 3 is that it barely has any side quests.
I am amazed anyone would say that.

Fallout 3 has an incredible number of side quests......
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_quests