My problem with Bethesda games

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
SimuLord said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Konaerix said:
Fallout 3 just got me all depressed, other then that I've never really tried Bethesda games. (Because I hear that they all suck sadly)
Try Morrowind, I've never heard a bad word spoken about it.
You haven't been paying attention. There are a few folks around here who bemoan Morrowind's horrible combat system (the one thing Oblivion unequivocally improved) and plethora of bugs.

It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but there are plenty of bad things one could say about it.
Many bad things can be said about Oblivion also. As for the combat in Oblivion, It isn't good. It is better than morrowind but not by much. It's also repetitive and really easy. Oblivion beats Morrowind in combat and the journal. Everything else goes to Morrowind :)

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
Wow, haters out in force tonight!

Regarding OT, I kind of dig being forced to do a bunch of wandering and exploring during the quests. I honestly tend to spend the majority of my time in Bethesda games just wandering around anyway so why would I hurry? Fallout 3/Oblivion are meant to be explored, not quickly passed.

Bethesda has released two of the best RPG's in existence, I just wish they would release the next Elder Scrolls ASAP. Also, maybe don't publish certain action games made by certain other developers any more...

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
THAT's your problem with Bethesda?

Not that they're games are buggy as shit.

Not that they have some of the worst voice acting in gaming.

Not that Oblivion had one of the worst leveling systems ever and not that Fallout 3 had a completely shit ending unless you paid for DLC.

... But because you think quest-related NPC's are too far apart?

One of the best things about Bethesda games is that they have interesting environments that are fun to explore and wander through. Hell, there should be more quests that encourage exploring of the settings.

spinFX

Aug 18, 2008
Judas Iscariot said:
Im sorry. You lost me when you claimed Oblivion was close to the best game ever made.
Seriously... Bethesda games are horseshit. Vanilla Oblivion is crap.
Bethesda does not get credit for fan made content.
For real. Vanilla Oblivion is UNPLAYABLE to me. It's a piece of shit PC game, and above average console game. It was just dumbed down to... oblivion ( get it?).

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
Hubilub said:
THAT's your problem with Bethesda?

Not that they're games are buggy as shit.

Not that they have some of the worst voice acting in gaming.

Not that Oblivion had one of the worst leveling systems ever and not that Fallout 3 had a completely shit ending unless you paid for DLC.

... But because you think quest-related NPC's are too far apart?

One of the best things about Bethesda games is that they have interesting environments that are fun to explore and wander through. Hell, there should be more quests that encourage exploring of the settings.
I was surprised that he chose that, too.

Anyway, I like how Oblivion is so massive. I wasn't too thrilled with the ability to fast travel, though. Yes - I do know that you can choose not to use it, but simply having the ability to basically teleport anywhere ruins immersion. If - at the beginning of the game - I was given a sword that could kill any enemy in one hit, I could choose not to use it, but I'd always know that it was there. Even if I could throw it away, it still kind of ruins the game.

Nonetheless, Oblivion was one of my favourite games - and still is. While I also enjoyed Morrowind, I still prefer Oblivion. After playing Oblivion, it's hard for me to go back to Morrowind; the lack of Radiant AI (in Morrowind), for example, is one reason.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Imbechile said:
SimuLord said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Konaerix said:
Fallout 3 just got me all depressed, other then that I've never really tried Bethesda games. (Because I hear that they all suck sadly)
You haven't been paying attention. There are a few folks around here who bemoan Morrowind's horrible combat system (the one thing Oblivion unequivocally improved) and plethora of bugs.

It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but there are plenty of bad things one could say about it.
Many bad things can be said about Oblivion also. As for the combat in Oblivion, It isn't good. It is better than morrowind but not by much. It's also repetitive and really easy. Oblivion beats Morrowind in combat and the journal. Everything else goes to Morrowind :)
Oblivion's one of those games that is enjoyable in inverse proportion to the number of humans (other than dead bandits/marauders/conjurers) encountered in the course of gameplay.

As a hunting simulator and wander-around-the-wilderness game, it's unmatched. As an RPG...well, not so much.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
cgride555 said:
My problem is how expansive these games are.
The games in question, Fallout and Oblivion, are monster games. I felt that Oblivion was so much more spread out than Fallout. Fallout 3 had a smaller map, and was still every bit as vast.

I believe it is true that is you stretch something out far enough, it starts to dilute its potency. Both games had a very solid and fun core mechanic, and that mechanic was asked to span a vast area of physical terrain. So once the core mechanic played out its novelty, naturally, you're still left wanting, even with so much space yet to explore. Fallout was a little better over Oblivion, in this reguard. But both games are missing a whole lot in terms of quality and polish. Esspecially in the interaction with npc department.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
Imbechile said:
SimuLord said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Konaerix said:

What about the graphics? Controls? Even the fucking running speed? Morrowind isn't nearly as awesome as people say.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
lacktheknack said:
Konaerix said:
That's incorrect... Daggerfall is from Bethesda, and I stand by the notion that it's the best fantasy RPG... ever.
Planescape Torment is the best fantasy rpg .... ever.

Daggerfall doesn't even put a dint in the awesome-covered, awesome-flavoured awesome with awesome sauce that is Planescape: Torment

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Judas Iscariot said:
Im sorry. You lost me when you claimed Oblivion was close to the best game ever made.
Seriously... Bethesda games are horseshit. Vanilla Oblivion is crap.
Bethesda does not get credit for fan made content.
exactly what I was thinking I've played several Elder Scroll games and Fallout 3, and each one was terrible...

sin keon

Apr 12, 2009
I liked oblivion and fallout but my biggest problem with bethesda games are that I never really felt attached to any character or part of the story.

s0m3th1ng

Aug 29, 2010
Only major problems I had with Oblivion was the bugs and the leveling system. The voice acting didn't bother me (Would have been neat to have more Patrick Stewart though). But I've never had so many CTDs than Oblivion.
Someone mentioned the graphics being CRAPPY? Yeah it's a resource hog but the environments are beautiful.

Fallout 3 is a near perfect game IMO. Couple issues with follower AI and the heavy reliance on VATS.
SO what if it didn't follow in the footsteps of Fallout 1 and 2. Taking an isometric rpg and turning it into an FPS with rpg elements allows them SOME artistic freedom.
All of these issues are easily fixed with one or two Mods.

Patiently awaiting BRINK.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
I played both games vanilla (Well a friend of mine gave me a pack of two DLC's for Fallout) on my xbox and I absolutely loved them! Though admittedly what you said does ring true, when I had first been out of the sewers for a few hours in Oblivion I thought to myself "This game is too big".

But if you play them in small amounts it doesn't feel that enormous. Oh and btw just looking through this thread, I know that opinions are entirely subjective but...yeesh

Kortney

Nov 2, 2009
I must say:

lol at all the people judging Bethesda off two games.

Morrowind was at the time, the most amazing thing I had ever seen. It single handedly got me into gaming and created the most immersive world I have to this day seen in a video game. Sure, it has dated a little now but that original feeling I got will never go away.

They went downhill in most areas with Oblivion. I thought Fallout 3 was great though.

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
Wow.. of all the many flaws Bethesda games have you listed the one that's totally irrelevant.. that's kind of a success in itself. :D

Kortney said:
I must say:

Morrowind was at the time, the most amazing thing I had ever seen. It single handedly got me into gaming and created the most immersive world I have to this day seen in a video game. Sure, it has dated a little now but that original feeling I got will never go away.

They went downhill in most areas with Oblivion. I thought Fallout 3 was great though.
This.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Kortney said:
I must say:

Pretty much. Morrowind was a world that was actually interesting- What's over there? Who knows, take a look. What's in that dungeon? Well, take a look, you might find something interesting.

While Oblivion improved the combat at the expense of... everything else. What's over there? Who cares, more fucking green hills. What's in that dungeon? Who cares, the same shitty levelled loot that's in every dungeon.

Fallout 3 was enjoyable (though not a fallout game), but I can't play it now without getting very cynical about all the events.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
lol okay, I'll call you lazy then.

Seriously, I dunno tho. Maybe you're just too geared up after playing CoD so you're just impatient. Besides, what's wrong with the travel and waiting systems in Fallout 3? They cut down on my travel time by a fair margain, tho I do reckon putting all the points for a quest would mean you just get it over with too quickly.

Remember, this is an RPG, not a shooter, so it's meant to be enjoyed and savoured, not blasted through to get the best time you can.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Paulie92 said:
lacktheknack said:
Paulie92 said:
(and seriously who has a lock door spell in a game where only you can go through doors then in the sequel enables enemies to go through doors but gets rid of lock spells... hur dur)
Bethesda got it right, then wrecked it... play Daggerfall, where humanoids and undead can open doors, and a fleeing mage can spell-lock the door to gain escape time (it's also only a delay, as all doors can be broken down, at expense of stealth).
Was Daggerfall the first in the series? Sounds badarse unfortunately also sounds old, any tips as to where I could find it?
It's the second, and <link=http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/downloads_games.htm>it's free. However, it's also a bit <link=http://www.uesp.net/wiki/General:playing_DOS_Installments_under_DOSBox>hard to run.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
PoisonUnagi said:
lacktheknack said:
Paulie92 said:
(and seriously who has a lock door spell in a game where only you can go through doors then in the sequel enables enemies to go through doors but gets rid of lock spells... hur dur)
Bethesda got it right, then wrecked it... play Daggerfall, where humanoids and undead can open doors, and a fleeing mage can spell-lock the door to gain escape time (it's also only a delay, as all doors can be broken down, at expense of stealth).
I really want to get into Daggerfall, but I can't find a way to initiate any quests, or find any dungeons that aren't way too easy... can I get some starter tips?
In towns, ask "Where can I find - Work?" and look for the recommendation. If a quest is available, the option will appear before the dialog screen.

And, well... I don't find the dungeons "too easy"... I keep getting lost for HOURS at a time.