My problem with Bethesda games

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
All Bethesda games have massive problems but OP failed to list any of them.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
I would say their games are good IN THEORY but thats not enough for me, I liked Oblivion and I had some fun with Fallout 3 but thats about it.

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
The problem with Oblivion was the lack of depth in favor of a larger world.

There were very few actually interesting side quests, the areas didn't vary enough (especially ruins, dungeons etc.) and the dialogue wasn't that good.

I did play it quite much and even liked it, but I got very bored and sick of it after some time.

EDIT: And can't really say anything about Fallout 3, except I thought it is better than Oblivion when I tried it.

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
Aylaine said:
... bugs. ... CTD ... x.x
lacktheknack said:
... Daggerfall ...
Best accidental consecutive post so far this week.

Bethesda never did thank me for the bug reports I sent in or reply to my offer to send in the other ten pages of bug reports.

Jump pit. Hit far corner. Fall out of dungeon.

Recall to Fighter's Guild but it's closed so there is no outside. Fall out of town.

Use lift. Slight jolt as new area loads. Freeze in place briefly. Fall a long way onto smoothly descending lift or through smoothly ascending lift.

See "Scorpian" ahead. Try to manoeuvre for backstab. Find out the side-view sprites of the "Scorpian" are the wrong way round. Enter frontal assault instead.

Click pile of treasure. Watch computer reboot. Yes, really.

It also kept a record of every quest you'd ever done, just so that the NPCs could tell you, the only player character, the only character doing any quests at all and the only Argonian in the whole country, that Gonovir Thangbright's daughter was saved by a brave Argonian. As a result of this, saved games took longer and longer to load the more side quests you'd done while waiting for someone to get around to giving you the next piece of the main story quest. Fifteen minutes is a long time to wait for your game to load just because you missed the pit jump and fell out of the dungeon.

yurick

Jul 4, 2010
I didn't have a problem with the combat system in Morrowind...I just had to stay away from melee range and I could actually attack...sort of.

imaloony

Nov 19, 2009
PoisonUnagi said:
None of the points you just listed apply to ANY of the Elder Scrolls games, except maybe Arena.
I could criticize Oblivion, if it'll make you feel better.

I like expansive games. Besides, In Fallout you don't have to do a ton of on-foot stuff because the fast travel is pretty good.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
Traveling is one my favorite aspects of Bethesda games. Fast travel is there if you want to use it, I can't possibly see how you need something faster. Why don't you just ask them to hand you everything in the game, in one single room.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
My head hurts from how stupid that was.

You're asking for a smaller world so that you don't have to walk through a couple of doors to get somewhere (pro tip: you need to get to places) and then pull a CoD comparison out of your arse.

People never cease to amaze.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Judas Iscariot said:
Im sorry. You lost me when you claimed Oblivion was close to the best game ever made.
Seriously... Bethesda games are horseshit. Vanilla Oblivion is crap.
Bethesda does not get credit for fan made content.
Stating opinions as fact does not make for good discourse. F3 and Oblivion are two of my favorite games too and a lot of people feel the same way.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Judas Iscariot said:
So... where exactly did I say "Its a well known fact that"
One thing I hate above all others is when people try to discredit someones opinion by trying to insinuate they were claiming its a fact.

But while we are on the subject. Yes. It is a fact that Bethesdas games are absolute shit. And if you like them then well, more fool you.
What is going on on the Escapist today? People are being so rude and obnoxious. Something in the air?

The fact that you consider someone a fool for enjoying something you don't shows that your dogmatic and closed-minded views are not even worth arguing with. Enjoy hiding behind your stone wall.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
Imbechile said:
thenoblitt said:
what's wrong with the fast travel system as soon as you start oblivion you can literally teleport to every single major town, and after you find a new place you can teleport there to
The problem is that it, along with the compass, kills the charm of exploring the world and also makes the game much shorter
then just don't use it

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
SL33TBL1ND said:
Try Morrowind, I've never heard a bad word spoken about it.
You will now: The combat in Morrowind is SHIT! But the rest of the game is great. I just hate that even Morrowind, a 2003 game, is just as unstable as Oblivion!

Also, Bethesda's games are not that great by themselves (except Morrowind), they rely heavily on fan made mods and even then their games crash more than a hippo riding a unicycle on an icy road. Even vanilla (unmodded) oblivion likes to get sudden heart attacks, which never let me get immersed. So, how about changing your damn game engine, hmmm?

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
lacktheknack said:
PoisonUnagi said:
lacktheknack said:
Paulie92 said:
(and seriously who has a lock door spell in a game where only you can go through doors then in the sequel enables enemies to go through doors but gets rid of lock spells... hur dur)
Bethesda got it right, then wrecked it... play Daggerfall, where humanoids and undead can open doors, and a fleeing mage can spell-lock the door to gain escape time (it's also only a delay, as all doors can be broken down, at expense of stealth).
I really want to get into Daggerfall, but I can't find a way to initiate any quests, or find any dungeons that aren't way too easy... can I get some starter tips?
In towns, ask "Where can I find - Work?" and look for the recommendation. If a quest is available, the option will appear before the dialog screen.

And, well... I don't find the dungeons "too easy"... I keep getting lost for HOURS at a time.
Strange... I keep fast-travelling to graveyards and killing two or three Nightblades, then getting about 32 gold, and having cleared out the entire place... o_O

Russian_Assassin said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Try Morrowind, I've never heard a bad word spoken about it.
You will now: The combat in Morrowind is SHIT! But the rest of the game is great. I just hate that even Morrowind, a 2003 game, is just as unstable as Oblivion!
The combat isn't shit, it's just that everyone who ever criticized the game was constantly using sprint.

Sprint halfway across Vvardenfell, then try to hit a Kwama Forager for me. I guarentee you won't be able to.

[sub]Call me weird, but I thought Daggerfall's combat system was the best in the series...[/sub]