lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Shoqiyqa said:
Aylaine said:
... bugs. ... CTD ... x.x
lacktheknack said:
... Daggerfall ...
Best accidental consecutive post so far this week.

Bethesda never did thank me for the bug reports I sent in or reply to my offer to send in the other ten pages of bug reports.

Jump pit. Hit far corner. Fall out of dungeon.

Recall to Fighter's Guild but it's closed so there is no outside. Fall out of town.

Use lift. Slight jolt as new area loads. Freeze in place briefly. Fall a long way onto smoothly descending lift or through smoothly ascending lift.

See "Scorpian" ahead. Try to manoeuvre for backstab. Find out the side-view sprites of the "Scorpian" are the wrong way round. Enter frontal assault instead.

Click pile of treasure. Watch computer reboot. Yes, really.

It also kept a record of every quest you'd ever done, just so that the NPCs could tell you, the only player character, the only character doing any quests at all and the only Argonian in the whole country, that Gonovir Thangbright's daughter was saved by a brave Argonian. As a result of this, saved games took longer and longer to load the more side quests you'd done while waiting for someone to get around to giving you the next piece of the main story quest. Fifteen minutes is a long time to wait for your game to load just because you missed the pit jump and fell out of the dungeon.
And in thirty hours of play, I have: Fallen out of a dungeon once.

That's it.

Patches are beautiful things.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
PoisonUnagi said:
lacktheknack said:
PoisonUnagi said:
lacktheknack said:
Paulie92 said:
(and seriously who has a lock door spell in a game where only you can go through doors then in the sequel enables enemies to go through doors but gets rid of lock spells... hur dur)
Bethesda got it right, then wrecked it... play Daggerfall, where humanoids and undead can open doors, and a fleeing mage can spell-lock the door to gain escape time (it's also only a delay, as all doors can be broken down, at expense of stealth).
I really want to get into Daggerfall, but I can't find a way to initiate any quests, or find any dungeons that aren't way too easy... can I get some starter tips?
In towns, ask "Where can I find - Work?" and look for the recommendation. If a quest is available, the option will appear before the dialog screen.

And, well... I don't find the dungeons "too easy"... I keep getting lost for HOURS at a time.
Strange... I keep fast-travelling to graveyards and killing two or three Nightblades, then getting about 32 gold, and having cleared out the entire place... o_O

Oh no no... find a REAL dungeon. One full of spiders and scorpions and undead and elementals and bandits and takes 5+ hours for perfectionists to complete and escape... quests are a good way to find them.

[sub]Call me weird, but I thought Daggerfall's combat system was the best in the series...[/sub]
I agree here... it's a lot more frantic and satisfying.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
thenoblitt said:
Imbechile said:
thenoblitt said:
what's wrong with the fast travel system as soon as you start oblivion you can literally teleport to every single major town, and after you find a new place you can teleport there to
The problem is that it, along with the compass, kills the charm of exploring the world and also makes the game much shorter
then just don't use it
Well if I'm near Anvil and I have to go to Leyavin, or how the hell is that city in blackwood called, then i'm fucked. If Oblivion had silt striders, boats or any similar transport then I would use it. As for the compass, the only way to turn that off is by downloading a mod.

Eduku

Sep 11, 2010
Imbechile said:
thenoblitt said:
Imbechile said:
thenoblitt said:
what's wrong with the fast travel system as soon as you start oblivion you can literally teleport to every single major town, and after you find a new place you can teleport there to
The problem is that it, along with the compass, kills the charm of exploring the world and also makes the game much shorter
then just don't use it
Well if I'm near Anvil and I have to go to Leyavin, or how the hell is that city in blackwood called, then i'm fucked. If Oblivion had silt striders, boats or any similar transport then I would use it. As for the compass, the only way to turn that off is by downloading a mod.
Isn't that just the same as fast travel?

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Super Toast said:
Imbechile said:
SimuLord said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Konaerix said:
Fallout 3 just got me all depressed, other then that I've never really tried Bethesda games. (Because I hear that they all suck sadly)
Try Morrowind, I've never heard a bad word spoken about it.
You haven't been paying attention. There are a few folks around here who bemoan Morrowind's horrible combat system (the one thing Oblivion unequivocally improved) and plethora of bugs.

It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but there are plenty of bad things one could say about it.
Many bad things can be said about Oblivion also. As for the combat in Oblivion, It isn't good. It is better than morrowind but not by much. It's also repetitive and really easy. Oblivion beats Morrowind in combat and the journal. Everything else goes to Morrowind :)
What about the graphics? Controls? Even the fucking running speed? Morrowind isn't nearly as awesome as people say.
Graphics don't count because Morrowind is 4 years older than Oblivion so of course Oblivion has better graphics. If Morrowind was made today it would have better graphics than Oblivion. You really can't compare the graphics of two games that weren't released at the same time. What is wrong with Morrowind's controls ??? As for the running speed, invest some skill points in speed so you will run faster. This is not an action game like Oblivion. Morrowind is actually an RPG so you can't expect to be lvl 1, encumbered with heavy armor and expect that you will run fast.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Maybe I'm just Super King of all Bethesda games, but I've yet to experience a single serious bug in over a hundred hours of Oblivion and 50ish hours of Fallout 3. I'm not doubting the existence of such bugs, because I'm not stupid enough to assume my anecdotal experience overrides countless testimonials to the contrary. Still, lucky me. For once. Bout fucking time.

You know what Bethesda games need? Focus. Sounds obvious, but I think that's really the crux of it. Their game worlds are expansive and their npcs are numerous, but nothing seems particularly well-developed or interesting. There's just no depth. A cast of thousands, but they're all stand-ins and extras. Hundreds of dungeons, reliably copy-pasted every 100-200 feet. Quests left and right, all bearing the generic marks of a quest editor.

I guess what I'm trying to say, in the most roundabout way possible, is that Bethesda games are too ambitious. If they had hundreds of people slaving away for 4-5 years at a time, maybe the content wouldn't feel so watered down and, well, rushed/forced. Maybe (and by maybe, I mean definitely) they'd be better off cutting out 90% of the npcs/dungeons/quests and really sinking their teeth into the remaining 10%.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Eduku said:
Imbechile said:
thenoblitt said:
Imbechile said:
thenoblitt said:
then just don't use it
No it isn't. With fast travel you can go to any place anywhere you like at any time.
Silt striders, for instance, were located only in cities and would only transport you to some cities, bit not all. The same goes with boats. You also can't transport back to a city when you are in the wilderness unless you have a spell.

Eduku

Sep 11, 2010
Imbechile said:
No it isn't. With fast travel you can go to any place anywhere you like at any time.
Silt striders, for instance, were located only in cities and would only transport you to some cities, bit not all. The same goes with boats. You also can't transport back to a city when you are in the wilderness unless you have a spell.
Oh, okay then. Well, I'm sure there's a mod somewhere which does exactly what you describe. With Bethesda, there usually is.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
Imbechile said:
Super Toast said:
Imbechile said:
SimuLord said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Konaerix said:
Fallout 3 just got me all depressed, other then that I've never really tried Bethesda games. (Because I hear that they all suck sadly)
Try Morrowind, I've never heard a bad word spoken about it.
You haven't been paying attention. There are a few folks around here who bemoan Morrowind's horrible combat system (the one thing Oblivion unequivocally improved) and plethora of bugs.

It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but there are plenty of bad things one could say about it.
Many bad things can be said about Oblivion also. As for the combat in Oblivion, It isn't good. It is better than morrowind but not by much. It's also repetitive and really easy. Oblivion beats Morrowind in combat and the journal. Everything else goes to Morrowind :)
What about the graphics? Controls? Even the fucking running speed? Morrowind isn't nearly as awesome as people say.
Graphics don't count because Morrowind is 4 years older than Oblivion so of course Oblivion has better graphics. If Morrowind was made today it would have better graphics than Oblivion. You really can't compare the graphics of two games that weren't released at the same time. What is wrong with Morrowind's controls ??? As for the running speed, invest some skill points in speed so you will run faster. This is not an action game like Oblivion. Morrowind is actually an RPG so you can't expect to be lvl 1, encumbered with heavy armor and expect that you will run fast.
You said Morrowind was superior in every way (except combat). That includes graphics. As for the running speed, there's a fine line between moving slowly and moving like a quadriplegic man who had his wheelchair stolen. Also animations are totally retarded. Why do people walk with a pimp lean? And finally, making a mage/warrior class is a pain in the arse, due to the brilliant design decision that makes it so you can't use weapons and magicka simultaneously.

May 23, 2010
PoisonUnagi said:
None of the points you just listed apply to ANY of the Elder Scrolls games, except maybe Arena.
Judas Iscariot said:
Im sorry. You lost me when you claimed Oblivion was close to the best game ever made.
These two to the nth degree. There seems to be an unrealistic amount of Oblivion love. Can anyone explain it to me?
i race snails said:
P.S am i the only one here who actually loved fable 1 and enjoyed fable 2?
Yep.

Jasper Jeffs

Nov 22, 2009
You forgot to mention how Bethesda games always have shit gameplay. Fallout 3's was so bad they had to make a system that shoots for you to cover it up, for shame.

Urialanis

Jun 14, 2008
I'm gonna ignore the Bethesda/Oblivion/Fallout 3 bashing or paragoning and keep to the original point, you don't seem to understand that the point of the expansive gameplay is to give the impression of being somewhere fictional and comparing RPGs to COD is utterly futile. Oh and one last point the ability to mod Bethesda games means if there is something you don't like about them its so damn easy to change or find someone who already fixed it.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Urialanis said:
I'm gonna ignore the Bethesda/Oblivion/Fallout 3 bashing or paragoning and keep to the original point, you don't seem to understand that the point of the expansive gameplay is to give the impression of being somewhere fictional and comparing RPGs to COD is utterly futile. Oh and one last point the ability to mod Bethesda games means if there is something you don't like about them its so damn easy to change or find someone who already fixed it.
But why should WE have to fix them? It's the developers job.

arlix123

Nov 9, 2009
You know, I am going to have to agree with your point. In my opinion however, is not that the quests are boring or long, but once you have seen once cave or metro station you have seen them all. I guess the problem with Bethesda is that they make snippets of content, then stitch it together. don't get me wrong, I LOVE Bethesda, and oblivion is my favorite game of all time, but it does get repetitive, not like a grind, but as a been there been everywhere feature. Also one problem with oblivion is that a lot of time and effort went into fixing the game with mods than using the mods to enrich it say, like with fallout 3.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
AlternatePFG said:
Urialanis said:
But why should WE have to fix them? It's the developers job.
you know, I used to be a huge advocate of Modded Oblivion, and a huge downplayer of Vanilla Oblivion.

My gaming PC being broken has changed that. I've been playing the 360 version, and as long as you don't get into your head with stupid stuff (Like NEEDING to get +5s in your stats as you level up), then the game can actually be really fun. I've gotten a legitimate character to 100 in all of his stats, and all of his major skills (and many of his minor skills as well).

Just picture a direction, and run. Clear all the dungeons that way, and it can be very fun.

Are their issues? Yeah. Is Modded Oblivion perhaps better? Yes, but that's just because you can tailor it to your own likes. If I loaded up your mods, I'd probably not have as good an experience as when I mod it myself. I hate OOO, lots of people SWEAR by it. My only real complaints about Vanilla Oblivion is the short range of arrows, the massive amount of garbage that's not used for ANYTHING just lying around everywhere, the "psychic guards" the fact that you can't make spells or enchant items without being in the mage's guild or buying DLC, and in that regard, the inability to enchant more interesting items, utilizing drawbacks, adding more then one benefit. Just more interesting items in general.

Then there are smaller nitpicks, like visibility in darkness/underwater, the particle effects for detect life/nighteye/chameleon.. But those are small indeed.

MrJohnson

May 13, 2009
I enjoy how I play on console, and played both games on the buggiest console for them both (FO3 and Oblivion) and the only glitches I have experienced are slight memory leak problems in Oblivion.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
Imbechile said:
Eduku said:
Imbechile said:
thenoblitt said:
Imbechile said:
thenoblitt said:
then just don't use it
so instead of a one step process its a two step process, there are no differences besides making it easier for you to get around

Ertol

Jul 8, 2010
Was the PC version for these games really buggy? Cause the PS3 and Xbox 360 ones ran fine. Oblivion was actually pretty fun to just mess around in once you forgot there was a main story (ha!). Fallout 3 is really good for the 3 days you're hooked on it, then you realize that this is the same building or cave you've explored 50 times and it stops being fun.

I find trying for the whole +5 in all three stats thing and choosing the perfect skills really really boring. Just pick the skills you are going to use the most, and have at it. Hit up the DLC, run through some dungeons, complete the guild quests, and do some random side quests. Its probably is one of the best games out there for just random content. You move quick enough by just running that nothing is really that far away, the fast travel system is nice, although I wish they didn't let you do it all the time. Maybe some sort of carriage system or something in large cities would have made it a bit more immersive.