My problem with Bethesda games

kiwi3000

Sep 15, 2009
ARRRRG Are you a Troll?
The massive scale is one of the best things about them.
Go play sonic the hedgehog you linear twit

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
cgride555 said:
So, don't get me wrong, Oblivion was close to the best game ever made, as was Fallout 3. I have gone back to Fallout 3 while waiting in eager anticipation for the next Elder Scrolls (some time away I do realize), but I can't help feeling like these games are missing something... which is true of every video game ever made everywhere, because lets face it there is no perfect game!

My problem is how expansive these games are. In Fallout 3, for example, you go into a side quest, find the main prerogative for yourself, then are given a bit of dialog. Should you choose to change your mind on any given option, you have to find another individual to continue the mission. This can be quite time consuming given the amount of hallways and doors you must pass through.

Can they possibly cut down on the travel time... make events closer together! That or rectify the fast travel system! I play COD or Bethesda, and in comparison I can take as much time completing a single quest in Fallout that I can 20 rounds on multi-player for MW2. Call me lazy if you wish, but I can't count the number of times I've stumbled across an empty locker or gotten lost in a museum or factory. Just gets a bit frustrating is all.
bethesda games are shit. if your community need to MOD 90% of the content, you suck at making games. you lost me when you claimed oblivion was the best game ever made.
It's a matter of opinion. Personally, I loved Oblivion, but hated (for the most part) Dragon Age (which you love, judging by your avatar). Vanilla Oblivion is still a very enjoyable experience; it just may not have a deep story, but it is a fun game to play. DA was the opposite; it had great characters, a good but cliché and hackneyed story, but the gameplay wasn't enjoyable at all.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
"Fallout 3 is a gigantic game, and I don't like that" is about as far into your message as I got. That is one of the things that keeps me playing that game so much. I truly love it for its massive nature and immense replayability. But, that's just me. :eek:

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Omnific One said:
It's a matter of opinion. Personally, I loved Oblivion, but hated (for the most part) Dragon Age (which you love, judging by your avatar). Vanilla Oblivion is still a very enjoyable experience; it just may not have a deep story, but it is a fun game to play. DA was the opposite; it had a great characters, a good but cliché and hackneyed story, but the gameplay wasn't enjoyable at all.
On a side-note, I totally agree with what you say here about Dragon Age. I almost think that getting that game was a waste of my money if I had not bought it cheap on a Steam deal.

joe the janitor

Mar 17, 2009
Judas Iscariot said:
Im sorry. You lost me when you claimed Oblivion was close to the best game ever made.
Seriously... Bethesda games are horseshit. Vanilla Oblivion is crap.
Bethesda does not get credit for fan made content.
http://pbskids.org/arthur/games/factsopinions/

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
PoisonUnagi said:
None of the points you just listed apply to ANY of the Elder Scrolls games, except maybe Arena.
Judas Iscariot said:
Im sorry. You lost me when you claimed Oblivion was close to the best game ever made.
These two to the nth degree. There seems to be an unrealistic amount of Oblivion love. Can anyone explain it to me?
Oblivion is a great game. It's got satisfying quests, great graphics, a decent combat system, HEAPS of replay value, in-depth lore, and smooth controls... what more do you need from an RPG?

(although I think Morrowind's better in most ways)

EDIT: Wait, I'm confused at why you quoted me.
I'm in no way a Bethesda hater... look at my avatar.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Russian_Assassin said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Try Morrowind, I've never heard a bad word spoken about it.
You will now: The combat in Morrowind is SHIT! But the rest of the game is great. I just hate that even Morrowind, a 2003 game, is just as unstable as Oblivion!

Also, Bethesda's games are not that great by themselves (except Morrowind), they rely heavily on fan made mods and even then their games crash more than a hippo riding a unicycle on an icy road. Even vanilla (unmodded) oblivion likes to get sudden heart attacks, which never let me get immersed. So, how about changing your damn game engine, hmmm?
Read this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.232216-My-problem-with-Bethesda-games#8156859]

May 23, 2010
PoisonUnagi said:
PoisonUnagi said:
None of the points you just listed apply to ANY of the Elder Scrolls games, except maybe Arena.
Judas Iscariot said:
These two to the nth degree. There seems to be an unrealistic amount of Oblivion love. Can anyone explain it to me?
Oblivion is a great game. It's got satisfying quests, great graphics, a decent combat system, HEAPS of replay value, in-depth lore, and smooth controls... what more do you need from an RPG?

(although I think Morrowind's better in most ways)

EDIT: Wait, I'm confused at why you quoted me.
I'm in no way a Bethesda hater... look at my avatar.
I was quoting you for the
PoisonUnagi said:
I agreed with this and wanted to say so, though the most of my post was dedicated to Judas.

My problem with Oblivion is this, in the guise of an imaginary conversation between me and the only interesting thing in Oblivion.
Me: "Oh, it's all the same boring forest isn't it?"

Patrick Stewart: "Well um. Oooh! There's a snowy forest!"

Me: "But nothing as alien or unique as the ash plains?"

Patrick Stewart: "We have the depths of hell for you to explore!"

Me: "I'm interested. It isn't all copy-pasted like the forest is it?"

Patrick Stewart: "The mapping department went on strike."

Me: "Sure... Are the conversation still like reading wikipedia or did they attempt to pitifully humanize the situation with terrible voice acting and a clunky dialogue interface?"

Patrick Stewart: "..."

Me: "Hmm. Well, maybe it's not all bad. Is there cool stuff? Badass monsters like nix hounds, interesting villains like the ascended sleepers, or a wonderfully flawed but detailed alchemy system where I can make my intelligence 9999999999 for an entire year?"

Patrick Stewart: "No."

Me: "What about cool armours or something, like bonemold?"

Patrick Stewart: "Well umm, you can use this leather armour - it's kinda neat."

Me: "Well what did Bethesda improve."

Patrick Stewart: "There's the graphics."

Me: "Yeah that's kind of expected in sequels - anything else?"

Patrick Stewart: "Oh, there is one thing. Remember how you could never hit anything in Morrowind?"

Me: "No, I understood how the fatigue system worked."

Patrick Stewart: "The what? Anyway, we fixed that by adding a block."

Me: "Stunning."

Shoqiyqa

Mar 31, 2009
Daggerfall combat system glitch: attack, step back, attack, step back, attack, step back, realise that the three Thieves Guild or whatever are now all colocated in front of you because they don't have collision detection, attack, hit all three with one blow, step back, attack, hit all three with one blow ... and loot the exact same stuff from each one.

Daggerfall loot glitch: enter Fighters' Guild. Talk to repairer. Select your wagon. Leave. Enter {place}. Loot stuff. It'll go straight to your wagon. This is particularly handy for low-strength mages and for anyone who's noticed that the "1% + 1% per 3 levels" Open spell you got just to practise your Mysticism has 100% success on shop doors at 1am.

Morrowind travel issues solution:

{check your athletics skill}
`
player->setathletics 1500
`
{run to wherever you're going}
`
player->setathletics {whatever it was}
`
{carry on}

The main use for this was that it let me get where I was going in one day rather than one week. Without this, once you get past about lvl 6 you'll find yourself getting every plague ever invented if a rat crosses your trail two hours after you pass or a flake of cliff racer dandruff passes a hundred metres upwind of you.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
ultra snip
Yeah, I get what you mean now. I agree that Morrowind is alot better than Oblivion (again, my avatar xD), but it's still not enough to stop me playing Oblivion. I'm sure I'll get bored of it alot quicker than I got bored of Morrowind, but, y'know.

Urialanis

Jun 14, 2008
AlternatePFG said:
Urialanis said:
I'm gonna ignore the Bethesda/Oblivion/Fallout 3 bashing or paragoning and keep to the original point, you don't seem to understand that the point of the expansive gameplay is to give the impression of being somewhere fictional and comparing RPGs to COD is utterly futile. Oh and one last point the ability to mod Bethesda games means if there is something you don't like about them its so damn easy to change or find someone who already fixed it.
But why should WE have to fix them? It's the developers job.
So its the developers job to tailor make the game to YOUR specifications is it???? It was made as it was and if you don't like it they gave you the option to change it very easily, I fail to see how your point stands up.

OneOfTheMichael's

Jul 26, 2010
I think it's becuase they develpoed a game that actually allows gamers to explore and discover which actually many games don't have.
(by the way red dead is more time consuming the way you have to ride beside another person just talking for like 10 minutes).

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Urialanis said:
AlternatePFG said:
Urialanis said:
I'm gonna ignore the Bethesda/Oblivion/Fallout 3 bashing or paragoning and keep to the original point, you don't seem to understand that the point of the expansive gameplay is to give the impression of being somewhere fictional and comparing RPGs to COD is utterly futile. Oh and one last point the ability to mod Bethesda games means if there is something you don't like about them its so damn easy to change or find someone who already fixed it.
But why should WE have to fix them? It's the developers job.
So its the developers job to tailor make the game to YOUR specifications is it???? It was made as it was and if you don't like it they gave you the option to change it very easily, I fail to see how your point stands up.
Yeah, I misread your post. Sorry bout that.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Aylaine said:
Mmm, my issue are the bugs. I can handle everything else, but when my game is constantly CTD like no other, it's time to find a new game or pray the fan community found a fix for it. x.x
I agree with grey.

The one bug I got over and over was this NPC who would NOT stay dead.

I beat him to death with my fists (I mainly played with my male Nord, Hager the badass) and he come back with a smile, and a torch.

"I'm your greatest fan!"

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Bethesda's recent games...sigh.

Yeah. These are seriously flawed, hyped beyond all reason, and...they're pretty much failures in my eyes as games.

Oblivion:
-Backwards, broken-logic leveling system
-Shitastic, consolified loop-dungeons.
-No depth. At all. Seriously. Block and Counter. Spam touch spell of massive damage.
-Relies heavily on Player-Created-Content to succeed (ok, this is a plus too given how few companies are willing to let you fix ANYTHING.)

Fallout 3:
-Are you on a 360? Then you will probably think this is the greatest game EVER.
-Are you on a PC? Did you win the Bethedsa Video-Card lottery? If not, welcome to Crash to Desktop: The Game (GAME OF THE YEAR)!

I have never spent so much time waiting for "Send Error Report" in my life. Patches, video card driver updates? Pah! Not a match for Bethesda's D-Grade programming! Or the hilarious Havok Physics glitches which at one time caused a merc-raider's corpse to turn into a highly contorted human boomerang and fly around the room at 30mph.

The games look great and have huge maps. That's about all the credit I can give them.
Having a massive world is pointless if there's nothing to do but wander around collecting junk.

Morrowind might have had worse combat than Oblivion, but at least I felt like I was in an immense world where wondering around the wrong location might actually be hazardous. The story actually had some semblance of depth to it, which is more than be said for 99% of Oblivion OR Fallout 3.

I haven't played Daggerfall, so I won't comment on it.

zhemis

Mar 22, 2010
I read 2.5 pages out of 4 in this thread.

If you don't like exploration and travel don't play games with exploration and travel. Part of the fun of both is spending some time wandering around in the trees just to know you explored it, and HEY! there's a cave.. More exploring.

I don't know how many times I just sat there in fo3 watching deathclaws just walk around to see what they did. They killed trader people and [Side Note: For the life of me I can't remember the name of those assholes that were everywhere.. not bandits, but they served that role].

But those things are kind of the point of games of that nature. Explore and experience the world. And OMG! main quest? Why? That makes it end. No way.

I've never had much trouble with Oblivion crashing, even vanilla, but I started playing after patches were out.

Fallout 3 is buggy like crazy, but mostly from mods. Vanilla was fine after patches. Nowadays I can play fo3 and never ctd. A combination of tweaks and mods that I have backed up because I'd never be able to get it that way again.

EDIT: [about Daggerfall] So fun! Get a horse and carriage or cart or whatever it's called and camp by a graveyard or outside a cave. Just make sure you don't get turned into a werewolf and you'll be rolling in money and items in no time. And dressing up in daggerfall is more fun than both morrowind and oblivion, which keep removing clothing locations.

Matamusca

Jun 19, 2010
here's my problem with you, one of the greatest things about fallout and elder scrolls is how expansive the game feels. You could explore for hours doing quests, fighting enemies and finding new locations. This is why I have problems with ME2 (which is still thought was great)was that it seemed like the whole universe was just a couple of closed in rooms. Could you imagine how stupid it would be if all the locations of quests and stuff were arbitrarily close to each other? Also you realize they have those maps on your pip-boy for a reason, right?

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
cgride555 said:
Judas Iscariot said:
Seriously... Bethesda games are horseshit. Vanilla Oblivion is crap.
Bethesda does not get credit for fan made content.
agree to disagree, but they are the best games I've played on my 360 so far outside of MW2.
Google the following: Bioware.