My Problems with Red Dead Redemption...

DeManix

Jun 7, 2010
The Fast Travel and the lack of a 'rest' meter. It completely ruins the pretence that you're in the Wild West and that the world is big if you can go from one side of the map to the other in 10 seconds, and that you can do so without Marston or his horse getting even slightly tired or hungry.

OK, I know that I don't HAVE to use the fast travel, but it just makes the whole world feel like an obstruction, just something getting in the way of where I want to be, like Rockstar weren't proud of what they had created.

A 'rest' meter would add to the feeling that you really were in the Wild West, and it would give you a reason to be naughty, other than 'for the lolz'; if you were running low on supplies and needed some food desperately, you would have to kill a passer-by to take his resources, just to avoid being the vulture's next meal. That would make the world really feel 'lawless', and make civilisation a bit sweeter.

Oh, and another thing, why if I open a drawer in someone's house, do I get a $40 bounty and get killed almost instantly? Not exactly the 'Lawless West'...

Tyburn Cross

Sep 17, 2008
I tend to agree on the "rest" comment. As far as fast travel, I figure Rockstar put it in because they know people would complain if they didn't.

Now, onto the meatier stuff. I too believe that the survival aspects of the game are either nonexistent or downplayed. There should be a reason to break the law. As it is, you can go through the whole game without ever breaking the law on accident.

The hunting and gathering aspect should have been more in-depth, in my opinion. I don't want to go all hardcore and say that you must eat every twenty minutes or die, but it would have been nice to see even a basic system put in place. As the game is now, I haven't even finished the story because the challenges bored me too much. I will finish it eventually, but in the meantime I have definitely moved on.

bladeleaper

Jan 6, 2010
I assume they didn't add anything like that because it might slow down gameplay, as for getting killed for getting a bounty, that never happened to me thankfully, but i guess it could be argued that the game is taking place at a time when law and "civilized" society is making a stronger impression in the world.

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
bladeleaper said:
I assume they didn't add anything like that because it might slow down gameplay, as for getting killed for getting a bounty, that never happened to me thankfully, but i guess it could be argued that the game is taking place at a time when law and "civilized" society is making a stronger impression in the world.
I had a 3000$ bounty before I was even past Armadillo. I died.

It isn't about being killed for obtaining a bounty, as much as how big the bounty is.
-- In regards to the OP, in that respect: It's lame. No lawman would bother running around gunning down a known ex-gangmember/serialmurderer because he steals 4$ from the drawer in Lucy's house.

The fast travel, I think, is very useful, however. Fuck if I need to waste my time riding through the desert wasteland on my damn horse.

Benefactor

Jul 5, 2010
No mention so far of the lengthy discussions to mission areas. I'm surprised.

Anyways, I feel like it might break immersion to a slight degree, yet other things mentioned in this thread (hunting and gathering) might as well.

I feel that if rockstar made a sequel, which is very possible, working on a higher level of immersion is what they would have to work on to really take the game to the next level.