My Xbox dyed and i need your help.

rorymclean12

Apr 2, 2009
Right my 360 has gotten the red ring of death, 3 lights on it. now i looked on the xbox web site and they can fix it for like £100 to fix cos the warranty ran out in 2007, now i have been told that because i got a red ring of death i can get it fixed for free? my mate told me that if its first generation it can be fixed anyway regardless of the warranty, now my question is, is there a way to find out if my 360 is first gen cos i'm my 360's 3rd owner. if not i'll just save up some cash and buy one of those new 360's :p

Feb 13, 2008
*giggles* What colour is it now?

(sorry...but that's an amusing typo)

If it's out of warranty...I'm afraid you're going to have to rely on the goodwill of manufacturers. And that tends to go as far as the door.

Edit: There is this place offering help: http://three-red-lights.blogspot.com/ : But I've NO idea how legit it is. Caveat Emptor, as the Romans say.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Aren't Xbox's like really cheap anyway nowadays? I'd say get a new one and maybe get a good few games with it as a package deal.

I just looked on a site and it's 69 quid extra (than the 100 quid they want to fix it.) for a brand new one with a game. Probably be able to get an even better deal if you shop around.

yay disposable society...

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Damnit Root, I wanted to make that joke!

OT: I'm fairly certain that you'll have to pay if it's out of warranty. Why not actually take this up with Microsoft support, they can tell you for sure whether or not you're covered, just make sure you have all of your pertinent information handy in case they need it.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:

(sorry...but that's an amusing typo)
:( Ninja'd by the first reply.

I don't really have anything to say that hasn't already been said, though.

Derek_the_Dodo

Sep 28, 2010
1. go to ASDA (or walmart if in the US.)
2. buy a new Xbox 360.
3. go home and swap new xbox with old 1.
4. take old xbox to shop in the packaging of the new one.
5. complain that its faulty and say you want a refund.
7. profit!

If you did it with a store like GAME (Or gamestop if US) then theyd probably check the serial number, but it tends to be that stores like ASDA and Walmart dont bother. Even if they do notice just deny all knowledge saying that its not your fault theres a mix up.

Enjoy your new xbox.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
rorymclean12 said:
Right my 360 has gotten the red ring of death, 3 lights on it. now i looked on the xbox web site and they can fix it for like £100 to fix cos the warranty ran out in 2007, now i have been told that because i got a red ring of death i can get it fixed for free? my mate told me that if its first generation it can be fixed anyway regardless of the warranty, now my question is, is there a way to find out if my 360 is first gen cos i'm my 360's 3rd owner. if not i'll just save up some cash and buy one of those new 360's :p
When you looked on the X-Box website, did you enter your serial number and go through the step-by-step process that ends with you telling them you have the 3 Red Lights/E74 Error?

The 3 Red Lights/E74 Error is covered by an extended warranty (separate from the standard 1 year warranty) that you may be eligible for if you enter in the correct information.