MyFarm Asks Virtual Farmers to Help Guide Real Farm

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
MyFarm Asks Virtual Farmers to Help Guide Real Farm

MyFarm will give participants the power to live out their virtual farming fantasies through a real farm.

Thanks to the popularity of games such as FarmVille, it's been determined that people love running virtual farms. The MyFarm project asks: Do they also love running real farms, virtually?

MyFarm is attempting to recruit 10,000 virtual farmers that'll pay £30 ($50) per year to have a say in the production and operation of the National Trust's Wimpole Estate farm located in Cambridgeshire, England. The Wimpole Estate comprises 2,500 acres of arable land, pasture, woodland, lakes and gardens. It currently produces meat, eggs, wheat, and the unfortunately named oil seed rape.

The goal of MyFarm is to reconnect the people that get most of their farming knowledge from FarmVille to the real world. It'll allow participants to vote on every major decision made on the farm, including the crops planted, the stock of animals, the facilities invested in, and the machinery used.

In a way, MyFarm is tapping into the type of mind that enjoys FarmVille, but with real world consequences and matters to consider. You won't be able to just plant crops of pineapples over and over to make a profit. To learn more about MyFarm, visit the project's website [http://www.my-farm.org.uk/].

Source: MyFarm [http://www.my-farm.org.uk/]

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
so... now people will say that they were saving a nation's food supply when their child stabbed themselves with the kitchen knives. alrighty

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
"I drink because my job is planting wheat in the shape of hello kitties. Thousands and thousands of hello kitties, every day"

Do I get to choose who the farmers marry? Cause I'm going goat every time

Vet2501

Mighty Morphin' Power Ranger
Nov 9, 2009
Oh I can see this going badly wrong. The kind of people that are going to sign up for this are not going to understand the slightest thing about farming. This will surly crash and burn within a few months.

NoseDigger

Aug 25, 2009
Goodbye Wimpole Estate farm. You're letting internet users have a say in what will happen. This won't go well.

Angel Molina

Mar 23, 2011
Worst case scenario: England will cease to exist as massive famine will starve everyone to death...

Best case scenario: England will cease to exist as massive famine will starve everyone to death...

OT: If this is what they do for Farmville, I wonder how Minecraft could work out?..

General_Potatoes

Jun 22, 2009
Angel Molina said:
Worst case scenario: England will cease to exist as massive famine will starve everyone to death...

Best case scenario: England will cease to exist as massive famine will starve everyone to death...

OT: If this is what they do for Farmville, I wonder how Minecraft could work out?..
Now that will be cool. Except for your animals getting eaten or blown up by creepers or zombies.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I foresee much pot in this farms future

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Gamification in action!

This is bound to either be a great idea, or get trolled and lead to a complete F up of the area's agriculture...

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
I think that sounds awesome, and I don't even play Farmville.

Should be interesting to see if it turns out, even if it does fail miserably.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
...And so begins the age of gamification. Let's just hope there's not a few trolls enlisted to do this... This farm could get preeetty screwed up very fast.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
How many people actually have experience ACTUALLY farming that play myfarm? cause its a very different think to PLAY and to DO.

anyway, yeah, Id ont know. I dont see good things happening from this.

ratman995

Nov 30, 2009
Angel Molina said:

Meh we steal food from the Indians and the Chinese. Also rape seed oil powers cars, we don't eat it