Myst Dropping Into Movie Theater Age

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Glad to see something's finally happening with this project. I've loved the Myst series ever since the first game, and having played all the games and read all the novels I know there's a brilliant fantasy setting that can be used for these movies.
I'm just concerned they'll screw it up because the first Myst game really doesn't have a story... the story happened before you get there and you're just picking up the pieces. If they focus on the before parts or weave it into the narrative, it could still work.

M-JN

Jan 26, 2009
YES YEAH.

And with a production team like that, no less. Chronicles was beautiful and the cinematography would have to be ace to capture Myst.

Then again this kind of looks like one of those project with a huge potential to sit around and do nothing for a couple of decades. Myst is popular, but it's not the huge WE MUST CASH IN ON THIS kind of thing like HALO or something.

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
Chal said:
Lolth17 said:
I don't really have any problem with this per se, but does anyone in the whole world (and for thee purposes I mean anyone as in, enough people to allow the movie to make money) care about a Myst movie? Anyone?

Fifteen years too late you say? Yeah, thought so.
It was the best-selling PC game until 2002, ya know. There are 6 million people who've been through the experience who might want to see how it translates to the silver screen. Plus, it's not like the concept of "books link to worlds" is alienating to people who haven't played it, or even nongamers. I could see it being successful... or at least I'm one ticket for their efforts :p
I mean, they're welcome to try it. But I just think it's too late to have much of an audience based on game hype alone. Plus, I suspect that 3-5 million of those people were like me, and thought, "huh, this is really pretty," then couldn't get past the first or second puzzle, thus leading to much frustration.

Maybe I'm just bitter, I just kinda think that it's going to have to be lord of the rings amazing to draw in a significant new audience, because it's way too late for the game to have much relevance on its sales figures. I could be wrong, but I highly suspect I'm not.

quantum mechanic

Jul 8, 2009
I might be clinging to the game too much, but I would kind of like to see this movie made from a first person perspective, with no voice acting for the protagonist. It has the potential to be really immersive.

C. Eleri Hamilton

Oct 1, 2010
Lolth17 said:
Fifteen years too late you say? Yeah, thought so.
Myst for iPhone got an 8.5 on IGN when it was released May of this year, hit the top 10 apps list right away, and 7 months later its still in the top 100 apps, with Riven for iPhone in dev. Not bad for a 15 year old game. And given that the movie is going to be based in the books, backstory and mythos of Myst, it'll have a much broader appeal than just a 'video game movie'

JayDub147

Jun 13, 2009
Hmm, I hope they don't try to commercialize it too much. I always saw Myst working as a great art-house film.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Trivun said:
I have been waiting for so long for this. I started the series with Riven, back when I was a wee bairn, and got the first and third games shortly afterwards (getting Exile just after it first came out). Sadly I was foolish enough to sell them when I got tired of adventure games, but recently got back into them and I'm going to track down the entire series again as soon as I've managed to get my laptop CD tray fixed.

snip
Umm... do you have Steam? The entire series (up to Exile, at least) is up there.

OT:
Hmm... if they can pull this off (and keep Uwe Boll the fuck away from this property), I'll be genuinely impressed.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Anyone remember the Wing Commander movie, the film based on a game that was part-film to begin with? The game series that was one of gaming's better sci-fi epics.

Do you remember what is arguably the worst videogame movie ever made? A movie so stupid that it didn't know that sound does not carry in a vacuum. Yeah, sorry guys, but videogame movies are dead. Interactive media just don't translate into non-interactive media; even something as close to a slideshow as Myst is diminished if made non-interactive.

Caradinist

Nov 19, 2009
I hope that the deus ex Machina is the main character looking up how to figure out the puzzle on gameFAQS, because we can do that now.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Why the hell can't people do another Myst? I mean Riven was okay but everything since then just hasn't been the same.

I saw elements of it in the latest Prince of Persia game, which unfortunately had stupid combat in between good platforming and okay-but-infrequent puzzles. Another decent Myst fix was, of all things, God of War 3--puzzles were weak but had potential, and except for the horrifically violent content the Myst vibe was there.

Dammit I loved Myst and its bleak stories even though I finished it in a weekend.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
I should point out I have never played any of the Myst games. I just never got into the clicky point and draggy games of the CD-ROM boom in the mid-90's. Closest I got was the aptly named Monty Python's Complete Waste of Time. Even Monty Python could not sustain this sort of thing for me.

That said, a Myst game could potentially work. It would basically be like a sci-fi/fantasy Indiana Jones/Nation Treasure/DaVinci Code with the weird mechanical doowhatzit things needing to be figured out and elaborate set pieces/effects being used to show our heroes getting to the next stage or whatever.

This might not be very true to the games, but as I said, I don't care about the games. An engaging movie could be done nevertheless.

I'm going to hold my breath, obviously. But it will be interesting to see if this succeeds or fails.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
the antithesis said:
That said, a Myst game could potentially work....
I'm not at all sure of what to do with that. (Really? I'm sure a Halo game would work.)

I'd be all over this (these?) movies in a heartbeat. I have read the three Myst books, and they were awesome. However, I never got sucked into one like how they said it worked.

Orzene

Nov 28, 2008
I think the rich basis of story-telling in the books is a much grander adventure, even though the games tend to be more memorable. I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, and EXPECT a lot of creative licensing..

I'd just as soon be a student in the Writer's Guild, and find my home in a place of my own creation than expect them to pull of a terribly great or relevant movie (As far as game-to-movie cross-overs go), but hell, if they can manage a pleasant surprise, keep fans in, while still bringing in an audience with a traditional movie event that allows for a lesson well-learned, then hell, at least it's not MY MONEY going into this pocket.