Myst - Mystery Man

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Don't play RealMyst. The reviewer doesn't know what he's talking about. The slideshow presentation is perfect, hasn't aged and is functionally necessary in this type of game to narrow down interactive areas and hotspots. If Myst had been full 3D it would have been unnecessarily hard and far more inaccessible.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
Oh yeah fuck the piano Puzzle. I don't know if i'm tone deaf or what but I had to count the settings on the levers to get it to work.

Also the Final Area is kinda garbage in RealMyst: Masterpiece Edition.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Zacharious-khan said:
Oh yeah fuck the piano Puzzle. I don't know if i'm tone deaf or what but I had to count the settings on the levers to get it to work.

God, fuck that piano puzzle so hard. I'll admit, Funcom managed to find a way to one up it in The Secret World, by making an almost identical puzzle, except the controls were less precise, you had to pick the notes from sheet music, and the game would nerve gas your character if you got it wrong. It was marginally more annoying.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Myst was the beginning of the end of graphic adventures, they had been dying as technology advanced. You could have guns and shoot things in 3d environments by 92. You had more sense of control and less frustration shooting Hitler in Wolfenstein 3d than Myst. Also I'm pretty sure I watched peak wankery after anal whore 3 last night.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Don't play RealMyst. The reviewer doesn't know what he's talking about. The slideshow presentation is perfect, hasn't aged and is functionally necessary in this type of game to narrow down interactive areas and hotspots. If Myst had been full 3D it would have been unnecessarily hard and far more inaccessible.
The only reason Myst wasn't full 3D was it would have melted computers back then. RealMyst is great. It's much easier to control and explore. You have to admit clicking to move everywhere is tedious as all hell

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Zacharious-khan said:
The only reason Myst wasn't full 3D was it would have melted computers back then. RealMyst is great. It's much easier to control and explore. You have to admit clicking to move everywhere is tedious as all hell
RealMyst is only great if you know the game inside out. It would have been a nightmare to play first time, finding all those hidden notes and hotspots. Slideshow mode is a tried and true style of gameplay, still used in games today. It's quicker, more concise and I prefer it to seasickness-inducing walk-cam. Think of it as removing all the unnecessary bits, all the filler. Saying it's simply 'outdated' is completely wrong as it ignores all the advantages vs full 3D.

Is still photography outdated because of the invention of moving pictures?

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
RealMyst is only great if you know the game inside out. It would have been a nightmare to play first time, finding all those hidden notes and hotspots. Slideshow mode is a tried and true style of gameplay, still used in games today. It's quicker, more concise and I prefer it to seasickness-inducing walk-cam.
RealMyst is how I beat the game the first time. Its pretty easy if you keep a journal. When the game started it game me both choices and i tried both out and i often times found it confusing using the slideshow mode to move where i wanted it to go. And in what game do they use slideshow mode?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Ah, Myst. My favorite franchise in media.

The modern player should absolutely play the new re-re-remake, because it doesn't make the game harder, as some say (it barely changes the available paths at all) and it also adds some really cool touches. Like a day/night cycle. And some additional lore, like Ti'ana's gravestone. And also another level. Not a big new level, but a new level, yes. And it's a really pretty remake as well.

I really hope you guys cover Riven, which is easily the best of the main five games.

Also... what's with the hate for the piano puzzle? That sucker was easy. Got it the first time.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Zacharious-khan said:
RealMyst is only great if you know the game inside out. It would have been a nightmare to play first time, finding all those hidden notes and hotspots. Slideshow mode is a tried and true style of gameplay, still used in games today. It's quicker, more concise and I prefer it to seasickness-inducing walk-cam.
RealMyst is how I beat the game the first time. Its pretty easy if you keep a journal. When the game started it game me both choices and i tried both out and i often times found it confusing using the slideshow mode to move where i wanted it to go. And in what game do they use slideshow mode?
Quite a few actually. Some of the newer ones are the Carol Reed series, Prominence, RHEM, ASA: A Space Adventure, The Capri Connection, the Nancy Drew series.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
lacktheknack said:
Also... what's with the hate for the piano puzzle? That sucker was easy. Got it the first time.
Do you play an instrument by chance, or are you able to read music? Because the piano puzzle was not fun for me either, due to not knowing what notes it wanted without brutal trial and error.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Zacharious-khan said:

Rime is a load of shit, but it's more an optional bonus that gives the a game a few more story-connections to the sequels than a real extra age.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
The Wooster said:
Rime is a load of shit, but it's more an optional bonus that gives the a game a few more story-connections to the sequels than a real extra age.
See the worst part is it looks like there's going to be things that happen and puzzles and story but it's just like one 'puzzle'. I was so mad.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Zacharious-khan said:
The Wooster said:
See the worst part is it looks like there's going to be things that happen and puzzles and story but it's just like one 'puzzle'. I was so mad.
Yeah, there was a really funny thread on the Myst forums where a dude had spent hours scientifically testing all the switches. Evil.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Dalisclock said:
lacktheknack said:
Do you play an instrument by chance, or are you able to read music? Because the piano puzzle was not fun for me either, due to not knowing what notes it wanted without brutal trial and error.
I do, but I solved that puzzle in the original before I learned to play. It only required you to be able to hold a pitch in your head for a few seconds. I did it by singing "AHHH" while moving between the piano and the machine.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Dalisclock said:
lacktheknack said:
I do, but I solved that puzzle in the original before I learned to play. It only required you to be able to hold a pitch in your head for a few seconds. I did it by singing "AHHH" while moving between the piano and the machine.
Some folks may not be tone deaf but musically deficient in that they can hear the tones and notes but be unable to recognize them easily. Others are able to easily distinguish tones. Hell matching a tone in your head and with your voice naturally is a sign of possible perfect pitch. I've not had a day of formal musical training but I can match most guitar riffs I hear and replay them as well as on a piano and match most vocal ranges (except for people like Freddie Mercury and Dani Filth, those guys are/were mutants or something).

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
I love RealMyst Masterpiece Edition. The first person movement is a bit wonky but it's playable.

I didn't mind the piano puzzle (but I do have experience in music so there's that). I can't just hear a note and go 'that's a C' but if I play the note I can keep the sound in my head if it repeats. Hence the piano puzzle wasn't too much of a problem (the real problem is the stupid tunnel puzzle, that one is so annoying because it's repetitive and takes ages).

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
The piano puzzle was tedious, but at least you knew vaguely what was going wrong when it didn't work.

Oh here, click and hold this hotspot to have it do something different than just clicking it. What's that? We never hinted at that being a possibility and this is the only time it's required in the entire game? Whoops!

I hope that puzzle got revamped and future players just regard me as a crazy old man. Now get outta my Age!

OT: Anyone else surprised that D'ni is pronounced duhnee? IIRC they don't say it until Riven. I thought it would be dinee.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
"...and there's no fail state."

Technically, there are 3 fail states, but they can be reached only at the end of the game.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Okay, so as someone who played both games in order, I have to say I don't see where all the hate is coming from.

My biggest problem with Myst: ME was getting the sucker to work in 2005 - I wound up installing it on a Win 95 machine and it was golden.

I also played, and greatly enjoyed, Real Myst, including the ending area with it's nice little Easter egg hinting at Riven.

Honestly they both have their pros and cons, especially regarding navigation (yes, Real Myst lets you go all kinds of random places and yes, Myst camera-jacks you from time to time), but aside from Myst's graphics aging poorly I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

They're both good games (practically the *same* game), go play them both and decide for yourselves.

EDIT: Oh and the piano puzzle wasn't that bad. Get over it.
Anyone else remember that FUCKING powerplant puzzle from Riven? Go and cry in front of that instead.