Mysterious Boy Pulls Ico Novel to U.S.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Mysterious Boy Pulls Ico Novel to U.S.

While you're waiting for the Ico HD remake, why not sit down with the game's novelization?

2001's remake [http://www.amazon.com/Ico-Playstation-2/dp/B00004YUWA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1296585614&sr=8-2] set for release in 2011. In Japan, it was even given a novelization written by Miyuki Miyabe called Ico: Castle of the Mist, which is finally making its way to the U.S.

Ico: Castle of the Mist [http://www.amazon.com/ICO-Castle-Mist-Miyuki-Miyabe/dp/1421540630/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296586368&sr=8-1]'s translation is being handled by Viz Media, a company known for its prowess with anime and manga. The novel is over 400 pages long.

Miyabe's narrative reportedly expands on the story of the characters in Ico: a horned boy and a girl named Yorda. Its description is as follows:

When a boy named Ico grows long curved horns overnight, his fate has been sealed-he is to be sacrificed in the Castle in the Mist. But in the castle, Ico meets a young girl named Yorda imprisoned in its halls. Alone they will die, but together Ico and Yorda might just be able to defy their destinies and escape the magic of the castle.

This is definitely a novel I'd like to check out, because Ico doesn't seem like a natural fit for a novelization. Its characters are basically silent. They don't have lengthy conversations about their pasts, hobbies, or likes and dislikes. Ico's appeal is mostly about the mystery behind the two, and the emotional feel of leading the girl through multiple environments without any dialog.

I'll read an Ico novel, but I'm just not sure exactly what I'll be reading. Ico: Castle in the Mist is expected by summer 2011, but doesn't have an announced release date yet. It can be found on Amazon here [http://www.amazon.com/ICO-Castle-Mist-Miyuki-Miyabe/dp/1421540630/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1296586368&sr=8-1].

Source: GameSetWatch [http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/01/viz_media_publishing_miyuki_mi.php]

epikAXE

Save the planet: It has beer!
Oct 26, 2009
Wow that sounds - interesting. Not sure how it will play out as a novel though, Ico was mostly visual and 400 pages is alot. Definatly worth checking out though :)

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'm curious too, I'm not sure how the book is going to handle the whole not talking thing. I'd imagine they would have to do internal monologue and have it where it's not annoying or derailing the story. But I'm definitely going to check this out when it arrives at Barnes and Noble, read it there before I make any decision to buy it.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
How the heck is that supposed to work? It is not like Ico has a lot of characterization or dialogue, or even much of a story for that matter. It will be interesting to see how this works.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Books don't always need dialogue. Sometimes it's more powerful without it.

I've been holding off playing Ico until the PS3 release (I'm sure you've heard of the American port...), but I'll probably pick this up afterwards.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
BreakfastMan said:
How the heck is that supposed to work? It is not like Ico has a lot of characterization or dialogue, or even much of a story for that matter. It will be interesting to see how this works.
Yeah, I don't get this at all to be honest. Ico's story wasn't really groundbreaking or even that good, it was the way it was told that stuck with you. How are they going to translate the minimalism to 400 pages of text? The way I picture this book is a few sentences at the beginning of each chapter and the rest of the pages left blank.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
I have no idea how one could make a novel out of Ico. But the game was amazing, and I suppose a novelization is far from impossible. I will look forward to this.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
How should that work? Lovely descriptions of how atmospheric and dreadful the surroundings and enemies are? Not sure that'll do the game justice.

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
I might check this out but but I have a couple of worries.
One is that reading the book will ruin the game for me somehow, and the other is Viz.
When they're good, they're good.
But I have known then to do bad writing.

viciouspen

Dec 23, 2007
OMG I'll so read this.
I fricking adore ICO. Sad part is that they missed one of the best ways to make people replay the game.....make it so you can understand Yorda on a second play through.

This novel might fill in some of that gap, at least for me.

Definitely have to read this, be very interesting to see how it's handled, take the game out of it, and it's an interesting concept for a novel, two characters, neither can verbally communicate with eachother, very interesting.

OrpheumZero

Feb 25, 2010
This.... this is beyond perfect. Not only do we get the much deserved second coming of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, we'll finally get that elusive novelization! *bleep*ing sweet!