Mysterious Michigan Death Eerily Similar to Persona 4

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Mysterious Michigan Death Eerily Similar to Persona 4

A bizarre death in Michigan could have come straight out of Atlus' Persona 4.

We here at The Escapist would never make fun of the death of another human being, but this is too eerie to ignore. If you never played Atlus' PS2 swan song Persona 4 (and shame on you if that's the case), the events of the game were set in motion by a series of deaths in the small Japanese town of Inaba. Mysterious dead bodies were found hanging upside-down on TV antennas, with the police unable to determine cause of death.

Creepy, right? What's creepier is that something like it actually happened in Oak Park, Michigan [http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/oakland_county/Copy_of_MIBroadcast-Tower-Body_33547327]. The body of a man clad only in T-shirt and underwear was found by repair workers at the top of a 1,000-foot-high TV broadcast tower. As in the game, police say that the cause of death was unclear and that the body didn't show obvious signs of violence. That's seriously strange.

Again, not to make light of this man's death, because he probably has friends and family who will be tragically affected by this, but the whole thing is just one hell of a coincidence.

If you live in Oak Park, try to refrain from sticking your hands in any TVs for a while, okay? You never know what might happen.

If you don't get that reference, you seriously need to play Persona 4.

(Destructoid [http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/oakland_county/Copy_of_MIBroadcast-Tower-Body_33547327])

TrogzTheTroll

Aug 11, 2009
I live in Michigan, so I'm just going to avoid my T.V. for the time. Poor guy though, best wishes to his friends and family.

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
Is the escapist trying to get us to play persona 4?
I could make a nasty comment but since a man is dead i shall refrain.

1,000 foot high?

May 25, 2010
It is a bit disturbing, I admit. But I don't think it was worth writing an article. I know you mean well, but this is still a man's death. It shouldn't be taken lightly.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
I haven't because it's a bastard to get my hands on anything like that and thanks for probably giving away the villain.

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
Is the escapist trying to get us to play persona 4?
I could make a nasty comment but since a man is dead i shall refrain.

1,000 foot high?

May 5, 2010
Well, I've never played that game (I know) but I did just watch a Dr. Who episode about an alien creature using TVs to feed off of people in the 30s, so this still creeps me out.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
Aside from the "1000-foot-high" part, that is creepily similar. Somebody warn me when the fog sets in.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
... erm ... uhhh... I seriously need to play Persona 4... I guess?

Anyone with a spare PS2?[/I]

hudsonzero

what I thought I'd do was,
Aug 4, 2009
of failing at obtaining persona 4 read the hiimdaisy comics
http://hiimdaisy.livejournal.com/

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010

Holy shit, thats creepy. Thats funny to me too (but I have something of an unhealthy obession with all things Persona and SMT) but exceedingly creepy.

They way I look at it, there's one of three things at work.
1) This is a very horrible Ad campaign by Atlus/someone wanting to advertise Persona 4 (which is so unlikely I honestly think I'll grow wings before that happens).
2) Someone was a really big fan of the game and either:
2a) thought it would be cool to replicate a death of a another human being
2b) thought it would be cool to commit suicide in the manner.
3) its completely incidental.

Either way, I'm telling my friends/family in Michigan to go out and buy glasses now, stay away from the Tv, and pull out their arcana cards. I'll be up later with my hair dyed silver.

Doctor What

Jul 29, 2008
I think this might just be the first time a JRPG is blamed for corrupting the youth.

Excuse me while I go see if my college has transformed into a labyrinth.

hudsonzero

what I thought I'd do was,
Aug 4, 2009
{could a mod delete this please, my computer messed up and i thought my post failed}

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Kind of a head scratcher what he was doing up there. My money says he was drunk or high. You would have to be to climb a thousand foot tower in your underwear.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
My condolences to the family and friends of that man.

On another note, I really want to go to Oak Park now. I mean, I'd get a imaginary friend that can kill things.