Mysterious Phone Lures CliffyB Towards Ubisoft

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Mysterious Phone Lures CliffyB Towards Ubisoft

Former Epic Games developer Cliff Bleszinski has received a mysterious cell phone, apparently from Ubisoft.

Early last month, Cliff Bleszinski "We can fix Resident Evil together." [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119936-Cliff-Bleszinski-Leaves-Epic-Games] Capcom UK Joked back, saying "bring Pizza." Today, however, another developer is apparently trying to get CliffyB on board - or at least invite him to lunch. Bleszinski tweeted early morning Paris time, where he is apparently vacationing, that he received a cell phone with an Ubisoft background and a single programmed number. When Twitter users asked if he was joking, he posted a photo of the phone.

There's no knowing what conversation might have happened, or if Ubisoft will ask for CliffyB to join up, but we do know they're going to dinner. [https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/268780902753107969] For his part, Bleszinski said he was going to call them up and let them know:

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/268658149496614912]

That's a fair thing for Bleszinski to say, because he has a proven ability to work with both existing intellectual properties, and perhaps more importantly, create successful ones from the ground up. For my part, I'm ready for Assassin's Creed with chainsaws.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/268645084524855296]

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
"Skills that make me an asset for people like you," doesn't exactly sound like inviting words. Regardless, it will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere.

EDIT: I see you deal in Taken quotes, Cliffy B. Well-played.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
That is easily the sketchiest way of trying to set up a business meeting that I've ever heard of.

You know, maybe Ubisoft isn't trying to hire him. Maybe they just kidnapped his daughter...

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Incoming CliffyB hate and moaning about how he's going to ruin everything Ubisoft publishes.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
V8 Ninja said:
"Skills that make me an asset for people like you," doesn't exactly sound like inviting words. Regardless, it will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere.
I swear to god that I've Heard that quote "Skills that make me an asset for people like you," Somewhere before, in either a movie, a book, or a videogame. but i cant remember where!

Captcha: Carry on
I really wish you would let me Captcha, i really do.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Incoming CliffyB hate and moaning about how he's going to ruin everything Ubisoft publishes.
It's CliffyB+Ubisoft we're talking about here. So it'll be more like puking on a pile of shit.

BUT SERIOUSLY

This is an incredibly bizarre way to set up a business meeting. It might not pan out to anything in the end, but I do wonder in the case that it does; what would they put him to work on?

I think out of everything Ubisoft is working on, Splinter Cell is perhaps the most fucked. I wonder if Cliffy thinks he can fix that. Although I can see him working on Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon moreso.

Quazimofo said:
V8 Ninja said:
I swear to god that I've Heard that quote "Skills that make me an asset for people like you," Somewhere before, in either a movie, a book, or a videogame. but i cant remember where!

Captcha: Carry on
I really wish you would let me Captcha, i really do.
It's from a movie 'Taken'. Albeit slightly modified to suit the scenario.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
They sent him a Blackberry? Lol!
That means "I had 10 buck to spend on marketing, and we're totally just trolling!"

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
V8 Ninja said:
...It's a reference to the movie Taken. He didn't just make the quote up to give Ubisoft an indirect insult.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Tohuvabohu said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
It's CliffyB+Ubisoft we're talking about here. So it'll be more like puking on a pile of shit.
But... but... Ubisoft makes Trackmania. And they promised us Beyond Good & Evil 2. If we buy enough Rayman games. :(

And Cliffy made Jazz Jackrabbit. While Nintendo had Mario and Sega had Sonic, PC gamers had Jazz Jackrabbit. :D

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
That is easily the sketchiest way of trying to set up a business meeting that I've ever heard of.
I once tried to get a job at Ubisoft by throwing a brick with a resume wrapped around it through the window of one of their executives. I have a feeling they got the idea from me.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
V8 Ninja said:
...It's a reference to the movie Taken. He didn't just make the quote up to give Ubisoft an indirect insult.
I see. Thanks for the clarification! It makes this story slightly more interesting.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
This could wind up being some of the best news the Industry has seen in a while; the business side of it, anyway. And lord knows the Game Industry could use some good news for a change.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
HardRockSamurai said:

You know, maybe Ubisoft isn't trying to hire him. Maybe they just kidnapped his daughter...
maybe removed her hands with chainsaws?

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Tohuvabohu said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
But... but... Ubisoft makes Trackmania. And they promised us Beyond Good & Evil 2. If we buy enough Rayman games. :(

And Cliffy made Jazz Jackrabbit. While Nintendo had Mario and Sega had Sonic, PC gamers had Jazz Jackrabbit. :D
I agree. The recent Rayman Origns has lifted a little bit of the blight I see on Ubisoft. Though, BG&E 2 should only ever be in the hands of Michel Ancel. Keep Cliffy B faaaaar away from it.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
He has had a long successful career, but I'm not a particularly huge fan. Also, Jazz Jackrabbit is not even really a blip on games, I wish people would stop bringing that up as if it's anything as popular or as known as Mario or Sonic. I always wish him and his the best, but I seriously wish Ubi$hit would die in a fire.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
I suppose this finally answers the age old question of "but who was phone"