Mysterious planet-sized object spotted near mercury

Asmundr

Mar 17, 2010
masterbazza said:
its a mass relay
Wasn't Pluto's moon Charon supposed to be a relay? Did it move o_O
Damn space teenagers dragging around our systems mass relay! Damn them and their fast ships and loud music! xD

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
red the fister said:
Frost27 said:
Ham_authority95 said:
If it was an Alien craft, they got pretty fucking fried.

It was probably space debris(like asteroids) being irradiated by the solar flare.
That is pretty close to my first impression. Maybe one of Mercury's moons got in the way and the flash is the solar flare blowing a cloud of burning irradiated dust off of it.
mercury doesn't have any moons

SnakeoilSage said:
That's just the HMS Bounty.

well, that's what he was talking about? ffs, simplest answer is usually the correct one and here is it: That's a clump of Coronal Mass.

i was focusing on the darkness between that and Mercury. no wonder i thought the twat was hallucinating... OGM!!!! i just noticed!!! above the "a" in "whales" up at the top of the pic!! there's another one and it's even bigger!!!!!

Realitycrash said:
If it WAS a ship, even by Star Trek design, wouldn't it be toast after getting hit with that much radiation from the solar-eruption? Being that close to the Sun and with no magnetic field to protect it..
don't forget that the star trek ships have a "magic" shield for protection from cosmic debris and another "magic" shield to handle the background cosmic radiation.

...but then, a bunch of 6' tall, sentient bacteria once kidnapped Kirk and his bridge crew. using a transformable ship. it was in a book. it's cannon.

on a related note to some of posts i didn't get around to quoting, Extra Credits covered good and bad Sci-Fi this week.
Eh, even though it is much hated, it is also Canon: ST: Voyager got exposed to a corona-explosion, and damn-near did not survive.
They got protection against background radiation, but not that kind of blast.

Volothos

Dec 31, 2008
aegix drakan said:
...that's no moon...that's a....ON GOSH NO! IT'S OBVIOUSLY A TERROR STAR!

It's coming to blow up our Sun! Run for the hiiiiills!!!

(I shall give a cookie to the man who gets the "terror star blowing up sun" reference!)
Dude, Galactic Civilizations 2 is awesome!

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
If you think that's a spaceship then I have to inform you that there is a tea pot in orbit around the sun just past Mars. Its orbit is stable so there's no chance it decayed.

Jan 27, 2011
Volothos said:
aegix drakan said:

(I shall give a cookie to the man who gets the "terror star blowing up sun" reference!)
DINGDINGDINGDING! We have a winner!

...Ok, now where did I put that cookie......

I just got the game the other day when it hit steam, and I have to say it is the BEST civ style game I've ever played. I freaking love it.

Volothos

Dec 31, 2008
aegix drakan said:
Volothos said:
aegix drakan said:

DINGDINGDINGDING! We have a winner!

...Ok, now where did I put that cookie......

I just got the game the other day when it hit steam, and I have to say it is the BEST civ style game I've ever played. I freaking love it.
I've had it since before steam :p Imagine what GalCiv3 will be like!

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Any mysterious phenomena or object in space is the direct result of aliens. That is a scientific fact, proven by science!

SarcasmoPope

Dec 22, 2010
huh...but Jersey Shore still exists. Fairly sure we're still too stupid a race for aliens to bother eradicating.

sifffffff

Oct 28, 2011
Did you guys see it? The blur next to the other that blur that looks just like a blur! So... Aliens.

BleedingPride

Aug 10, 2009
RagTagBand said:
Samurai Silhouette said:
BleedingPride said:
a planet's natural defense from solar winds
This would imply that planets procreate and evolve through natural selection.
Why on earth would you think that? A planets magnetosphere (look it up) is a naturally occurring phenomena, Our magnetosphere protects us from solar winds, ergo, A planets magnetosphere is it's natural defense from solar winds.
im just repeating what someone told me. i know absolutely nothing about this sort of stuff im just trying to contribute to the thread the best i could.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Deathleaper said:
We should nuke it, just to be safe.
And, after all, how often does an opportunity arise where we get to send nukes into space for science?

Not often. Let's do this.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Wouldn't that just be an Ice Comet?

I mean this is what he said in the the video: "What else doesn't show it self until it's hit by solar radiation?"

Well just about every solid object in the universe.
No, it's actually Mercury, from the day before. The software used to process this was designed to look at stars, so it tends to get a bit wonky when an object is moving at high speed, like say Mercury. As I understand it, the image from the previous day is used as a filter to control the brightness of the image, but, in this case, the planet continued it's orbit enough to show up as a shadow in the filter software the next day.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Starke said:

I mean this is what he said in the the video: "What else doesn't show it self until it's hit by solar radiation?"

No, it's actually Mercury, from the day before. The software used to process this was designed to look at stars, so it tends to get a bit wonky when an object is moving at high speed, like say Mercury. As I understand it, the image from the previous day is used as a filter to control the brightness of the image, but, in this case, the planet continued it's orbit enough to show up as a shadow in the filter software the next day.
LIES! It can only be a Klingon Warbird.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Starke said:

LIES! It can only be a Klingon Warbird.
Can't be a Klingon Warbird, the Klingons don't have Warbirds. The Romulans have Warbirds, the Klingons have Birds of Prey, Battle Cruisers, and other hilarity, but not Warbirds. *Wanders off with an apathetic expression.*

Slaanesh

Aug 1, 2011
Redlin5 said:
Deathleaper said:
And, after all, how often does an opportunity arise where we get to send nukes into space for science?

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I have a question: What does science have to do with it?
I just want it gone. It is a blight on our solar system that needs to be purged. Mostly because its different.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Deathleaper said:
Redlin5 said:
Deathleaper said:

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I have a question: What does science have to do with it?
I just want it gone. It is a blight on our solar system that needs to be purged. Mostly because its different.
What does science have to do with it? Well clearly we're testing out the chemical reaction of... whatever is there with the nuclear warhead.

Science!