Mysterious planet-sized object spotted near mercury

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Zenkem said:
Looks like an obvious shadow image to me, as explained by NASA, who took the picture and know the technology behind it.

Funny how someone takes "cloaked ship" as an obvious answer, considering we don't know anything about aliens nor cloaking.
Actually, I have the technical specifications for the ship right h....I mean, yeah, it's amazing how we jump to these inane conclusions!

>.>

beniki

May 28, 2009
Since when did people take youtube videos seriously?

Obviously cloaked? Why would they bother? They have no reason to hide from us in Mercury's orbit. It'd be like a submarine in the Atlantic hiding behind a rock to keep from the view of a ten year old on the coast with a telescope. Sure there might be the off chance, but what does the sub have to fear from a ten year old?

Sounds a little anti-social to me.

Wouldn't an object that size affect Mercury's orbit? Wouldn't there be significant light refraction around the object? It's a lot of effort to hide from some stupid monkeys who don't even go to the moon any more.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Nothing to see here folks, go back to sleep. It was just the Destiny refueling.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
2fish said:
But this Russian planet has skyrim...what if the American plane doesn't have skyrim? Am I typing in Russian and I don't know it? What do Russians taste like?
I've tasted one, and she was delicious.

OT: "This might as well be full disclosure for me".
This guy is a complete dunce. Nothing to see here, folks. Moving on.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
The guy narrating the video even sounds crazy. NASA's explanation makes sense. Even in the video, it looks like the wake left in Mercury's trail (you can even see a star through the gap).

Besides, an object that large would cause a very noticable change in Mercury's orbit.

Khada

Night Angel
Jan 8, 2009
One has to ask, if this alien life force is advanced enough to have intergalactic travel and full stealth technology, would they not also conceivably have the ability to predict ejections from the sun (which I believe even WE can do) and thus why would they not have moved?

Secondly they seem to be in a fairly hostile part of our solar system. Why not pick a darker spot on the sky that wouldn't toast your ship?

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Oh bloody hell, not again...

The OP even mentions why this showed up, even if he didn't realize it.

The "mysterious planet sized object" near Mercury is... Mercury. Nothing more than an artifact, a photo afterimage of where the planet used to be. No more mysterious than seeing a point of light after looking away from a lightbulb.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Khada said:
One has to ask, if this alien life force is advanced enough to have intergalactic travel and full stealth technology, would they not also conceivably have the ability to predict ejections from the sun (which I believe even WE can do) and thus why would they not have moved?
And if not, why park where you would be at risk?

Kinda dovetails with your second point, but still.

Samurai Silhouette

Nov 16, 2009
RagTagBand said:
Samurai Silhouette said:
BleedingPride said:
a planet's natural defense from solar winds
This would imply that planets procreate and evolve through natural selection.
Why on earth would you think that? A planets magnetosphere (look it up) is a naturally occurring phenomena, Our magnetosphere protects us from solar winds, ergo, A planets magnetosphere is it's natural defense from solar winds.
Is that a defense mechanism designed to protect against solar winds, or simply just a reaction of a combination of phenomenons? But I see what you're saying.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
Jack the Potato said:
Oh shit.

It's Unicron. Or Galactus. Or the Death Star. We're fucked!

Quick, get me Shia Lebeouf, Jessica Alba, and Mark Hamill!

What? No, they can't save us! Are you crazy? I just want to meet them before we all die!
Well played Sir, well played. *Golfclap*

Here's to hopin' a first contact scenario. Preferably with a civilization closer to Vulcan than Klingon.

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
Samurai Silhouette said:
RagTagBand said:
Samurai Silhouette said:
BleedingPride said:
a planet's natural defense from solar winds
This would imply that planets procreate and evolve through natural selection.
Why on earth would you think that? A planets magnetosphere (look it up) is a naturally occurring phenomena, Our magnetosphere protects us from solar winds, ergo, A planets magnetosphere is it's natural defense from solar winds.
Is that a defense mechanism designed to protect against solar winds, or simply just a reaction of a combination of phenomenons? But I see what you're saying.
It's a reaction of two phenomena, nothing natural is designed. If you want to know more about either Solar winds or Magnetosphere's, consult wikipedia.

uc.asc

Jun 27, 2009
After many thousands of eyewitness reports, photos (grainy), and videos (grainy), not a single piece of evidence for the existence of UFOs has been presented which will hold up to basic scrutiny. If we do someday encounter aliens, I guarantee two things: That they will not have been the cause of previous reports, and that their existence will be reported by scientists instead of nutters on youtube.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
LadyTiamat said:
Wakikifudge said:
masterbazza said:
its a mass relay
If it really was and Bioware had based their video games off of some fact of how the universe really is because they are secretly Asari (or some other Citadel race) that are trying to gradually introduce us to the rest of the galaxy, I would probably cry tears of joy for a month straight.

.....and then weep in dispair because of the immenant reaper invasion.
And then again cry with joy when it turns out Commander Shepard has hired me to undergo some crazy biotic testing for humans that makes me super powerful and together we go and crush those big metal bugs and make them regret ever entering our galaxy.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
It's clearly this thing...

On a serious note...awesome...and scary. Let hope they are friendly xD

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
Oh shit, the Reapers are coming. Someone get Commander Shepard and a ragtag team of aliens with numerous tragic back stories to stop it!

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Voodoomancer said:
Isn't "clearly cloaked" kind of an oxymoron?

[small]Captcha: ´optimus 1.08´. Lets call the Space whale/ship/other that![/small]
Oh, sure, but space whales can tan?

;)
You ever seen a space whale without a tan? :p

Space whales looooove their tans.