Mysterious planet-sized object spotted near mercury

Slaanesh

Aug 1, 2011
Redlin5 said:
Deathleaper said:
Redlin5 said:
Deathleaper said:
We should nuke it, just to be safe.
And, after all, how often does an opportunity arise where we get to send nukes into space for science?

Not often. Let's do this.
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I have a question: What does science have to do with it?
I just want it gone. It is a blight on our solar system that needs to be purged. Mostly because its different.
What does science have to do with it? Well clearly we're testing out the chemical reaction of... whatever is there with the nuclear warhead.

Science!
Sounds legit. Lets nuke this *****.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
BleedingPride said:
Also, Captcha "come back"
Please assume the forum moderator submission position.

OT: It simply amazes me how far into lala land conspiracy theorists will leap when encountering unfamiliar things, while at the same time saying their bizarre conclusions are "clearly" the only sensible ones.

It just amazes me that people don't even bother finding out how the images are made before heading off to warn the world. Also it's hilarious, in a very depressing way, that news articles are using YouTube posters and commenters as sources now.

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
"That is definitely something that is a manufactured object".....

Because it's cylindrical on either side?

That's all this guy needs as proof to claim something is definitely man made?

lololololol

There have been so many of these stupid "SIGHTINGS!" that I'd gladly bet ten grand on us never hearing about this again.

BleedingPride

Aug 10, 2009
McMullen said:
BleedingPride said:

OT: It simply amazes me how far into lala land conspiracy theorists will leap when encountering unfamiliar things, while at the same time saying their bizarre conclusions are "clearly" the only sensible ones.

It just amazes me that people don't even bother finding out how the images are made before heading off to warn the world. Also it's hilarious, in a very depressing way, that news articles are using YouTube posters and commenters as sources now.
hold on a second i never wrote that. someone hacked my account -.- now i'll have to make a new one... dammit

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
BleedingPride said:
McMullen said:
BleedingPride said:

hold on a second i never wrote that. someone hacked my account -.- now i'll have to make a new one... dammit
Oops, my bad. Mixed up the quote tags. Meant to quote someone else.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
sidecord said:
"To make the relatively faint glow of a coronal mass ejection stand out against the bright glare of space?caused by interplanetary dust and the stellar/galactic background?the NRL scientists must remove as much background light as possible. They explained that they determine what light is background light, and thus can be subtracted out, by calculating the average amount of light that entered each camera pixel on the day of the CME event and on the previous day. Light appearing in the pixels on both days is considered to be background light and is removed from the footage of the CME. The remaining light is then enhanced."

The analysts say the practice works even better when applied to far-off objects such as stars, which don't move much relative to the sun. But for moving objects, especially planets, the process is a little more complicated. And making matters even trickier is Mercury's staus as the closest planet to the sun.

"When [this averaging process] is done between the previous day and the current day and there is a feature like a planet, this introduces dark (negative) artifacts in the background where the planet was on the previous day, which then show up as bright areas in the enhanced image," Rich explained in an email."
Then can't they just go back and look at the unaltered footage?

Sure, it may only look faint then, but it still had to be dectable in order to know to alter that area anyways.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Ragnarok185 said:
this is not an Alien ship because if it was the government wouldn't let us see it. DUH.
Not saying it is, but the best way to hide something or to not be noticed/arouse supiscion is to not make any effort to hide it in the first place.

EDIT:

Sorry about the double post.

gee666

One Sad Act
Nov 10, 2009
Liquidacid23 said:
Thanatus1992 said:
the spud said:
Alien 1: Okay, explain to me why we chose the planet closest closest to this star to land our spaceship.

Alien 2: Cuz it will be cool!

*Both aliens immediately die of hotness*
And the perfectly-functional interstellar starship is claimed by the Russians while the American Government weeps over the financial decisions concerning NASA.

and after only 500 failed launch attempts the Russians finally get a rocket off the ground to claim their prize but fail again because the rocket was only crewed by a monkey
Who was the first Man in space and where was he from?

OT
Why do the same people who DON'T beleive that we made it to the moon think that there is a 1000's mile long ship orbeting a planet close to a star with all the radiation, heat and gravity that goes along with it....oh yeah ALIENS /thread

its like the van allen belt...we couldn't possibly have got through that (sarcasim)

LRed01

Apr 3, 2010
Cenequus said:
I remember since I was a kid it was explained to me that when I look to a star in the sky I actually see it how it looked milions of years ago and by our time that star might even be dead. So to a lesser extent it's pretty easy to apply the same reasoning here and be accurate when they say the filmed results photograph an area where the planet was a day ago.

As for UFOs this isn't more far fetched than people that thought the moon was empty inside and aliens spy on us.
*It actually takes around 8 minutes for light to travel from the sun to earth just a small nagging I had :p

On topic I just think this is just another tinfoil wearing nut job foaming at the idea of other forms of life in our universe so much he actually bypasses reasonable explanations to get to that conclusion.
Do I wish it was true?
Yes.
Do I believe it is?
Nope...yet :p

AndromedA xx

Nov 30, 2011
How can it not be a cloaked spaceship??? All the evidence is there.. the CME, the planet, the weird blob....Obvious spaceship, no other conclusion

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
A spaceship the size of a planet yep that makes total sense. I mean it's not like that would cost a Huge amount of resources and let's not even think about how such a huge thing would actually slow down, if a race ever builds a spaceship of that size i'll lol. It's much more practical to build a huge fleet of smaller ships, you can disperse your force, you won't have the same "slowing down that huge amount of mass" issue and let's not forget that if something would go wrong with it you're in a huge amount of shit.

Maybe it can be destroyed with one nuclear device! (Only if Will Smith is involved)

Secondly , what would it do THERE? if it's trying to hide, why not hide behind a bigger planet? Is it some kind of Reptile ship which soaks up solar energy and therefor needs to be close to the sun?

And also wouldn't it be possible to notice certain gravity induced anomalies on mercury? I mean it's the size of a planet and right next to it.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Hey, before we go crazy, everyone did check that mercury doesn't have a moon already right?

(i'll be genuinely surprised if after 8 pages i'm the first person to make this joke)