Mystery And Controversy Surround Slavery The Game

May 5, 2010
MY THOUGHTS UPON SEEING THE THREAD TITLE:

Well, it'll obviously stir up controversy, but a game from the perspective of a slave seems like a very interesting way to comment on the nature of player/videogame relationship, and even about free will itself.

MY THOUGHTS UPON WATCHING THE TRAILER:

Oh, dear.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
It's totally fake. When he said "buy slaves" I knew it.

crop52

Mar 16, 2011
I actually thought that this was bound to happen eventually.

Anyways, we have games where we murder people. The only reason this is a big deal is because it involves racism.

...I'm honestly not sure if I should be angry at this.

Edit: Watch, when the game comes out, it'll actually be about slaves of war, and everybody will have been trolled.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Who knows what this is. It might even be something made by anti-video game douchebags to prove their so called point.

But it's probably just a joke.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Nothing much to say really other then it's almost certainly practical joke of some kind. Though it would be nice to know who's behind this joke.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
EHKOS said:
It's totally fake. When he said "buy slaves" I knew it.
Right. We know that. But if it's PR stunt or ARG, what's it for? That's what we're trying to determine.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Seventh Actuality said:
WILHELM SCREAM! :D
That fucking scream gets EVERYWHERE! Gorram do I hate that thing DX

What was the announcer's accent meant to be? He kinda sounded States, but there was a weird clipping to it that made me think S. African or some weird part of Ozz... then again, I suck at accents ;)

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Kargathia said:
Maybe somebody with actual formal training in this could enlighten me here.

The narrator certainly isn't a professional, but he doesn´t seem to be a native speaker either.
Dutch maybe? He certainly pronounced his vowels pretty short and harsh (e.g. "TremendUs fortune").

But as I said: if somebody could offer some reliable insight on this matter I'd be grateful - after all I'm just a non-native amateur.
Well, you seem to be definitely right about him not being a native speaker. He says "Seventeenth" strangely. More like "seventeen'd".

OT: Shrug. It's a bit of an odd idea. It'll get a lot of publicity anyway.

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
Probably fake. Notice the PS3 and Xbox 360 logos at the end? I was under the impression that Microsoft and Sony had a policy stating that they would never allow AO games to be released for their consoles.

Also,
Earnest Cavalli said:
Javelin Reds Gaming, the title's supposed creator, doesn't exist as far as we can tell. The phone number listed on the site leads to a Google Voice inbox (with a Kentucky area code) and "[email protected]" appears to be a nonfunctional email address.
*Activates conspiracy theory mode*

Maybe this is a fake plot by someone like Jack Thompson, or some backwards media outlet looking to discredit gaming and ruin its image forever!

EDIT:

I just took a look at the ESRB website, and there is nothing there about the game either.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Shoggoth2588 said:
Well then...that looks...different. Honestly I was hoping for something more S&M oriented but that's just me and my sick, depraved, mind. I think I'll be passing this one up though, even if it is real. Since it's advertised as being on the XBLA and, PSN I can't help but think buying this game or, expressing interest in or, defending this game could get you on some sort of watch-list. [sub]of course my bondagy thoughts could have already landed me on a watch list...[/sub]
the only list those thoughts could get you on is a hastily scrawled bunch of names on my wall of people i plan to fuck up the ass.
OT: as an ARG, it could possibly maybe perhaps if the gods are feeling nice and we're all good boys and girls and dont kneecap santa be ok.
but WHO IN THE ALL OF THE FUCKS MADE IT, WHY AND WHAT IS IT?

xXAsherahXx

Apr 8, 2010
Why am I being reminded of Custer's Revenge? The game won't and can't possibly be that bad, but someone might make it a controversy.

I can't think of a way slave trading would be appealing.

Hopefully this isn't a game. I don't really think it is, myself.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Sounds like adrian peterson would love this game, since he seems to enjoy making slavery connections at any point.

Though something tells me if tehy made a Roots game, then everything would be all hunky dory.

Thoguh I have to say, Im surprised that this hasnt been added in a civ game yet.

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
PR stunt, joke, real game; whatever it is, I kind of think it should have just not been made at all. Just sayin'.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Thomas Guy said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
Well then...that looks...different. Honestly I was hoping for something more S&M oriented but that's just me and my sick, depraved, mind. I think I'll be passing this one up though, even if it is real. Since it's advertised as being on the XBLA and, PSN I can't help but think buying this game or, expressing interest in or, defending this game could get you on some sort of watch-list. [sub]of course my bondagy thoughts could have already landed me on a watch list...[/sub]
You sir or madam, read my mind. All of it. Even the last part...stop it.

Edit- After watching the video...OH MY GOD. They can't be serious. On top of it looking like shit, it is so blatantly racist it's disgusting.
Erm, excuse me sir, but wtf are you on about? This shit actually happened in history. It's not racist to make a game that has the material in it. That's like saying its racist because you can play a black guy who steals stuff in GTA because its a black guy who's doing it.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
OBVIOUSLY not real. I mean listen to the announcer's voice. Its got that deep graveleyness that you only get when you mock a serious sounding announcer. what a joke.

if it is real, wow.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
dogstile said:
Thomas Guy said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
You sir or madam, read my mind. All of it. Even the last part...stop it.

Edit- After watching the video...OH MY GOD. They can't be serious. On top of it looking like shit, it is so blatantly racist it's disgusting.
Erm, excuse me sir, but wtf are you on about? This shit actually happened in history. It's not racist to make a game that has the material in it. That's like saying its racist because you can play a black guy who steals stuff in GTA because its a black guy who's doing it.
It's racist in that IT'S FUCKING RACIST. Just because it actually happened doesn't make it less racist. And it's VERY racist because of the near glee and joy that the trailer nearly came in showing the ways you can beat the fuck out of your slaves.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
Holy hell! It's gonna be bad I probably won't like it but I'm so going to want to try it out.
:D

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
Two things I noticed is that:

1. The game is rated for adults only, showing an ESRB logo at the beginning of the trailer.

2. The game is meant to be on the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and the PC.

I believe this has got to be some publicity stunt since there is no way an "adults only" game will -ever- be on a console. Its definitely meant to get some attention, but I guess only time will tell for what (unless this is just one big troll-campaign).

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Does it really matter whether this game is real or not? It raises an important issue, that is if we should limit artistic freedom. I personally don't think so. We've got games centered around murdering other people and everyone seems to defend those but the moment slavery comes into question it's suddenly controversial. We should not limit artistic freedoms the same way we should not limit freedom of speech and expression.