Mystery And Controversy Surround Slavery The Game

UnknownGunslinger

Jan 29, 2011
I actually bought this trailer up to the "Discipline Them, Exploit Them" part and the scene with the weapon selection!
No way is anyone, ever in the history of gaming going to create a game like that.
Though it makes you wonder, why can't a computer game be a medium for the subject of 17th Century slavery, and do that subject justice?
I almost wish this wasnt fake :(

Feb 9, 2011
Black Watch said:
Am I the only one that thought the trailer for the game was fucking hilarious?
Nope. I laughed.

Sorry, folks, but I'm too desensitized to really find it offensive or be upset about this. It's too much effort to care about this trailer. It's probably a joke anyway.

KevinR1990

Apr 10, 2008
Yeah, this looks fake. Don't understand why there's any controversy over it. It's disgusting, sure, but anyone with half a brain should've guessed that this wasn't real the moment they saw the "AO Adults Only" label on it. This is something that someone probably made as a sick joke with their buddies, not something we'll see on shelves next holiday season.

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
If anything, it seems more anti slavery, with words like "exploit", I get the feel of a more tongue in cheek "historical game" which probably won't happen

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Marohen said:
Agent Larkin said:
While it is fake (although if it was real I would give it a go) I have to wonder what it's really for.

Does anyone know of any games being set in that time period coming out in the next while?

-edit-

Possible Viral for AssCreed Revelations?
I doubt it, making adverts deliberately to piss people off is more up EA's alley than Ubisoft, I wager.
True but the whole thing about AssCreed is that everyone is a slave or something like that.

But I agree it's unlikely I was just clutching at straws.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
Stall said:
Jarlaxl said:
1. It's the job of a gaming news website to report gaming news. This is gaming news. Ergo, it is reported. You don't pass up on things it is possible your readership will find interesting, even if it might cause "controversy." Should the news not report things like the lives of politicians because it might be controversial?

2. When your business model revolves around page rules, you're damn right they'll post news stories that will garner page hits. It reminds me of a line I heard many moons ago: "WOW! A BUSINESS ABOUT MAKING MONEY!!! It blew my mind! I mean, I know Donald Trump got into business to make friends..."
This isn't gaming news. It's some random moron with a video editor who made a fake trailer so he could get some views on his youtube account. You know what this article has done? Fed into that moron's desires. Great job. Instead of just letting the moronic little prank die in obscurity, they give it views. There is literally NOTHING news worthy on this. The only reason to report on this is to exploit the controversy for cheap views. Nothing more... nothing less. It's nothing new on this website: the overall quality of the journalism on this site ranges from several questionable to barely passing.

Even further, most evidence suggests this ISN'T EVEN A GAME. You said that gaming news websites report on gaming news. If this isn't a game, then why are they even reporting on this?

The simple fact is that The Escapist is exploiting the same controversy they are referring to in the article for their own game: to get page viewed. It's underhanded and totally lacks of journalistic integrity. Instead of reporting on something important, non-trivial, and REAL, they instead just exploit some controversy for easy page views... real classy.

Stop white knighting poor journalism, would you? The author could have let this stupid video die in obscurity to be forgotten by the internet, but instead decided to exploit someone's silly little prank for views.
Sorry to jump in, but I could argue that I wouldn't even know this was fake if the escapist pointed out(I saw it on another before coming to this one). When someone one makes a game fake or not called Slavery: The game its going to get reported on, and thanks to the escapist using journalistic research we now know its fake.

Halcyone3

Mar 4, 2011
Meh, even if it's real, it's not like this is the first really controversial game that came out. To be quite honest, the only periods in history that extremely tactless people have yet to make a game of is the holocaust........... as far as i know at least.

Is it racist? maybe, slavery could simply have been the first thing to come to mind that would match the maker's gameplay idea as a setting and no ill thought could have been behind it, except maybe idiotic attention seeking. Likewise the person could have simply been real damn racist and done it for the lulz. What it is, is just tactless, like the guy and his college shooting mod from a ways back. Instead of trying to find a less offending theme/setting, they just go for the attention seeking controversial one, regardless of the fact of how much harm it could do to the whole industry.

If it is real, and it does end up coming out, best to ignore it. Paying it attention will just make it easier for the media to find it and make a bigger deal than it has to be.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
There's no way in hell this can be real. If anyone finds out you're the creator of this game, you'll be stoned to death.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
If it isn't real, then I have to give props to making a very convincing commercial to a low budget game (there is no way an game Ao can have much because no store would hold it).

If it is real, then I think it is trying to be untasteful to teach a lesson.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
Faker than a reptilian armadillo.

It's just bait, maybe a statement. Nothing more.

vivster

Oct 16, 2010
obviously just a PR stunt...if even that
why are people having a reaction on this thing?

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
Selvec said:
Its fake.

Look at the website, apperently its coming out on Ps1. *eye roll*
Well, technically that was just the PlayStation logo. It doesn't only stand for the PS1.

Regardless, this is quite obviously fake. Too bad the news probably won't realize it.

CATS FTW

Mar 21, 2010
Thomas Guy said:
dogstile said:
Thomas Guy said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
Well then...that looks...different. Honestly I was hoping for something more S&M oriented but that's just me and my sick, depraved, mind. I think I'll be passing this one up though, even if it is real. Since it's advertised as being on the XBLA and, PSN I can't help but think buying this game or, expressing interest in or, defending this game could get you on some sort of watch-list. [sub]of course my bondagy thoughts could have already landed me on a watch list...[/sub]
You sir or madam, read my mind. All of it. Even the last part...stop it.

Edit- After watching the video...OH MY GOD. They can't be serious. On top of it looking like shit, it is so blatantly racist it's disgusting.
Erm, excuse me sir, but wtf are you on about? This shit actually happened in history. It's not racist to make a game that has the material in it. That's like saying its racist because you can play a black guy who steals stuff in GTA because its a black guy who's doing it.
It's racist in that IT'S FUCKING RACIST. Just because it actually happened doesn't make it less racist. And it's VERY racist because of the near glee and joy that the trailer nearly came in showing the ways you can beat the fuck out of your slaves.
Actually rascism sprang from slavery not the other way around.

Melkor-III

Sep 28, 2009
This is so beyond reason, taste, marketability and common sense that the mere notion that this is anything but a joke/news scam i ridiculus. Diregarding the lack of detailed menus and information brackets usually found in this 'genre', the use of the Austrian flag is particularly perplexing considering the small size of the Austrian fleet, their lack of African trade colonies and their few major ports located in a corner of the Mediterranean sea (disregarding inherited burgunian territories in the low countries).

Melkor-III

Sep 28, 2009
Parshooter said:
i mean in Europa universals i usually try to capitalize on the slave trade already
That is a terrible idea, as a priory in colonization and conquest, slaves only gain acceptable market value when the colonies in the Americas are fully established and even then the stability cost penalty in non-core, tropical or non-accepted culture provinces is a major discouraging factor before you have established an empire of considerable stature. In EU2 more so than in EU3 if I am not mistaken.

To put it simple, slavery is wrong... on a macro-economic level. And moral, of course. ;)

NickFury90

May 15, 2011
are.you.the.god.its.me.vader said:
Am I a bad person for thinking of Pokemon before anything else?
Gotta Enslave em All!

Yep, ticket to Hell is booked and passport is cleared

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
OK, it's called "Slavery: The Game". If that didn't make it enough of an obvious joke then the Willhelm scream in the trailer should indicate that it's not serious... At least that's what I hope.