Mystery And Controversy Surround Slavery The Game

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
And here I was hoping this was a game trying to show slavery from a slave's perspective and how much of a struggle it would be, or some such. Unfortunately... It look like it's going to be exactly what Fox News will say it is..... Or not exist at all.

Robomega

Jul 19, 2011
There actually a lot of evidence in the video alone that the game doesn't exist.

1) The game supposedly has an AO rating from the ESRB. The ESRB does not have a listing for Slavery the Game or any title with the word Slavery in it whatsoever.

2) At the end of the trailer, it shows PS3 and Xbox 360 logos. Microsoft and Sony do not allow AO games on their systems.

So yea, fake.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Seventh Actuality said:
WILHELM SCREAM! :D
Precisely my thoughts straight after watching this trailer!

Made it all worth watching :)

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
That is one disturbing video. I was taking it all in stride until it got to the part where it told you to "discipline and exploit" your purchased slaves. That's where it went from violent imagery to outright sexual sadism.

I really, really hope this is fake. The games industry does not need this crap right now.

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
I'm pretty sure it's fake, for all the reasons already stated....

Mabye it's some sort of soical experiment to see how people react to the idea of a game based on slavery, in comparsion to one based on murder?

However it;'s more likely to be someone trying to piss everyone off.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Alphakirby said:
Bloodstain said:
Is it wrong of me to actually want to play this? I am against slavery, but as a virtual game, I am okay with it.
This seems to be my mindset on this. While yes,slavery in the real world is bad,in a videogame it hurts nobody except for a bunch of polygons. If you have a problem with this game,you should have a problem with GTA and CoD because while it isn't slavery,it's still killing people.

People seem to forget that though.
Eh, if it isn't a murder simulator, it is obviously the most evil thing ever. We are such hypocrites when it comes to what we actually care about. Considering how many people I am going to kill in my video games today, I can't say I am "better" than anybody else in terms of simulated experiences.

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
A PC or mac to make a fake game trailer - 1000 ?
Worldwide controversy - priceless

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Called it.

The people who made the video obviously thought it was funny; to me it seemed an overt jab at the hypocrisy necessary for us in the west to continue living under the irreconcilable dichotomy of democracy and imperialism, and sweeping our nasty, checkered past under the rug as a prerequisite for doing so. It's let's look at this thing here in the corner that you're trying to hide comedy, which happens to be one of my favorite kinds.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
SenseOfTumour said:
standokan said:
If this game is real then I give FOX a green light, this game might just deserve it.
Aren't FOX generally now far enough to the right to only be against it because it's a game, but be right behind the idea of slavery?
I love this preconception that its the right wing people that advocate slavery.

Since it was basically right wing people that passed the law ending it.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
boag said:
SenseOfTumour said:
standokan said:
If this game is real then I give FOX a green light, this game might just deserve it.
Aren't FOX generally now far enough to the right to only be against it because it's a game, but be right behind the idea of slavery?
I love this preconception that its the right wing people that advocate slavery.

Since it was basically right wing people that passed the law ending it.
Well, back in the mid-1800's, everyone was a conservative by today's standards. I read an article about Lincoln and Slavery and the Civil War in a recent issue of Time, addressing what causes people to try to distance the link between slavery and the war. Forgive me; I'm gonna paraphrase.

"Essentially, one side believes that slavery is unjust and should be outlawed, and the other side believes that slavery is a just institution and should remain legal. That is the only source of this conflict." --Lincoln.

I can source it for you later, if you'd like. Lincoln was a liberal of his day, in most every possible way. He filled his cabinet with his former opponents, so that they could find common ground and get opposing ideas into the room so that the best consensus could be found. Doesn't really strike me as a change-fearer.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Wicky_42 said:
Seventh Actuality said:
WILHELM SCREAM! :D
That fucking scream gets EVERYWHERE! Gorram do I hate that thing DX

What was the announcer's accent meant to be? He kinda sounded States, but there was a weird clipping to it that made me think S. African or some weird part of Ozz... then again, I suck at accents ;)
That's the weird thing, the voiceover guy is a black American.

So again I say, fake. Also: very funny.

Shit, I'm gonna have to qualify that for people who didn't read my last comment, aren't I? Shit.

Very funny, because the punch line isn't enslave those dark people, but rather, hey westerners, what's this nasty thing you got swept up under your rug? Let's look at it, take it out and show everyone!

Much better articulated in my last post. I'm having a verbal off-day.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
I almost laughed at how ridiculous this was...fake! or joke...or plant??

altho I did like the phrase "go back to the 17th century when europe ruled the world" ...that was pretty epic lol

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Blablahb said:
Kargathia said:
The narrator certainly isn't a professional, but he doesn´t seem to be a native speaker either.
Dutch maybe? He certainly pronounced his vowels pretty short and harsh (e.g. "TremendUs fortune").
You hit the nail right on the head there. The uploader is some Dutch kid attending art school.
Probably some extreme-left character who hates the west, knowing what kind of folk you ussually find on art school...
Shit, must've missed them extremists during my own time at a Dutch art school. That, or they only spouted extreme-left anti-western propaganda when I wasn't there.

I'm still left wondering though why you should be an extremist before you can pull a good prank - and let's face it: that's exactly what this is.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Blablahb said:
Kargathia said:
I'm still left wondering though why you should be an extremist before you can pull a good prank - and let's face it: that's exactly what this is.
Who else would bother to make a video trying to defame the Netherlands as a big slave trader, while it was only a little over 10% of the activities of only the second WIC? Mostly everybody knows that, except for people who hate 'the whites' or 'the west'. They call it occidentalism too sometimes; judging the westerner or the white man by double standards in order to assign them blame for, well, everything.
I'm not entirely sure where exactly you got the impression he was specifically defaming The Netherlands. The guy in the cabin was wearing a style of clothing popular with Dutch protestants, but I'd hardly call that grounds to justify that idea.

To answer your question: I'd certainly enjoy pulling this particular prank. And there's no way you can describe me as an extremist of any kind.

Right now, by acting so upset about it all, you're proving his point. Slavery is still a very sensitive issue, and tackling these is exactly what satire is about.

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
C2Ultima said:
Probably fake. Notice the PS3 and Xbox 360 logos at the end? I was under the impression that Microsoft and Sony had a policy stating that they would never allow AO games to be released for their consoles.

Also,
Earnest Cavalli said:
Javelin Reds Gaming, the title's supposed creator, doesn't exist as far as we can tell. The phone number listed on the site leads to a Google Voice inbox (with a Kentucky area code) and "[email protected]" appears to be a nonfunctional email address.
*Activates conspiracy theory mode*

Maybe this is a fake plot by someone like Jack Thompson, or some backwards media outlet looking to discredit gaming and ruin its image forever!

EDIT:

I just took a look at the ESRB website, and there is nothing there about the game either.
Would be one of the games that i have seen the Adult symbol on ha ha