Mystery Bunny Promotes Sega's Worst-Kept Secret

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Mystery Bunny Promotes Sega's Worst-Kept Secret

It's Daytona USA, alright? Sega's going to re-release Daytona USA.

Can you spare 56 seconds? Cool. Watch that video embedded at right.

Back? Great. If you took only one thing away from that video, it should have been that bunnies are super adorable.

If you took two things however, that second one should have been the realization that Sega is planning to revive one of its classic series, and is doing a really terrible job of being coy about it.

In theory, I think the idea here was that Sega would release a video with a snippet of audio and gamers would wrack their brains trying to figure out which series the gaming giant would be reviving. In practice though, Sega issued a video containing a snippet of sound that should be instantly familiar to anyone who owned a Dreamcast or spent any amount of time in an arcade in the late 1990s.

That "Rolling Staaaaarrrtttt" bit about halfway through the video? That's a dead giveaway that the game is Daytona USA. It's kind of a weak tease, but this does make the video's sweepstakes a whole lot easier. Any of you hoping to enter the 'stakes, should head over to the firm's official rules page first [http://blogs.sega.com/2011/10/03/sega-sweepstakes-name-that-game/], but then yeah, go ahead and enter to win a free copy of whatever upcoming game is being promoted here.

Alright, now that we've nailed down which series Sega is bringing back, we can get to the more important questions. For instance, how exactly is Sega planning to revive Daytona USA?

A full-fledged sequel seems unlikely -- you don't announce a triple-A racing game with bunnies, no matter how cute -- but if this is an XBLA/PSN re-release of an earlier game, we have to wonder which earlier iteration of Daytona USA would Sega want to offer us? The arcade original? The Dreamcast port? That unreleased 32X version?

Look Sega, I spent my entire childhood worshiping you as a deity, so obviously I'm going to buy this game. It's Pavlovian at this point. Just stop with all the pretense and tell me what I'm going to be spending my money on!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Also, seriously, what's with the bunny? Oh, shit, you don't think this is really some kind of huge Billy Hatcher fakeout, do you? (Bunnies - Easter - Eggs - Billy Hatcher.)

Ok, probably not that.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Also, seriously, what's with the bunny? Oh, shit, you don't think this is really some kind of huge Billy Hatcher fakeout, do you? (Bunnies - Easter - Eggs - Billy Hatcher.)

Ok, probably not that.
Maybe the Rolling Start is to throw us off. Because what do you do in Billy Hatcher,you roll an egg around.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Ok, probably not that.
I was hoping the 'hint' would be the bunny getting splattered by two dozen thundering NASCARs.
But that's just me...

Sega's way was cuter, not as attention grabbing, but cuter.

MeowZhuxi

Aug 30, 2009
Based off of the full contest rules, it is definitely a 10 dollar downloadable game for the PS3: "(5) First Prizes ? Ten (10) winners will be randomly selected and each will receive a FREE digital download of the game (in the PlayStation® 3 format) associated with the song correctly named in the contest, Approximate Retail Value (?ARV?) $10. "

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
So, is this competition similar to those piss easy ones on television where they say something like "Britney Spears' best-selling debut hit is Hit Me Baby One More ___" followed by the options "Turkey", "Time" and "Clock"? The ones that are probably as hard to win as the lottery because about 95% of the entrants got the right answer?

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
"Their making a left turn!"

5 minutes later, "What did i miss"

"Their still making a left turn!"

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
It's the internet - any overtly difficult to guess tease would be ruined by everyone sharing the answer as soon as some clever clout guessed it - so why bother, especially when you can harvest a gagillion email addresses to spam with your shiny new products when they come out..

Direct marketing - it's the future.