Myth World Cup 1998-2015, potential last tournament

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
Just to clarify there was no real ideal place to post this, and due to the age of the game there is limited amount of players and only so many places to souce new recruits Take 2 and Bungie no longer support our online community.

[HEADING=2]IF YOU CARE ABOUT GAMING HELP KEEP OUR ONLINE COMMUNITY ALIVE, 15 YEARS AND GOING![/HEADING]

I'll give a quick run down of some of the important information as well as some changes from MWC's of recent years so people have a heads up of what to expect.

If you are a fan of starcraft or rts games in general I would highly recommend testing your mettle, especially those who think they have micro skills.

º Free to Enter, there is no entry free
º Registration will start immediately as the gateofstorms MWC section is up and will go until June 17th
º The tournament matches will begin Saturday June 20th
º Standard fallback time of 2pm est Saturday/Suday (depending if you?re in the top or bottom bracket)
º One week ?qualifier? ? The teams that do not show to this with 4+ players on their active roster for all 5 games will be removed before the double elimination rounds. → This should result in a much shorter tournament (3-5 weeks) depending on the # of teams and how far a team goes in the tournament.
º 8 player roster limit - exceptions may be made if I see fit (for example traditional teams like Deer & Tcox or others may add as many to their roster as they would like)
A tournament match being played, you can see its a very micro intensive and tactical game

--WINNERS PRIZE--
º Steam Greenlit game Deadhold will be providing 8 copies of their game upon release to the winners of the Myth World Cup.
deadhold gameplay

If you're interested its free to sign up and register at www.gateofstorms.net and sign up in the myth world cup thread

If you're having trouble to find a copy of the game private message me and I will help you out.

So far there are 4 teams, 40 or so players. I really want to emphasise that you do not have to be an expert in this game so long as you participate. Captains of each team control the army % given to you so they just will give you a small % so you are not overwhelmed.

If you need any help like patches for example don't hesitate to private message me.

MOD EDIT: Given that this thread would otherwise be solely to advertise a gaming tournament, this is now a thread that is also about high-level competitive play in gaming, and what makes it an interesting spectator sport for audiences.

Make sure to talk about gaming as well as this particular tournament guys, it's not that hard to bolster a discussion in addition to advertising community events. -Mod

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
sorry fixed url, was meant to be www.gateofstorms.net, and the unit trading value of a trow to the security question is 24

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Im afraid I have never played Myth 2 or the first one and generally dont consider myself a fan of strategy games but some do intigue me and I end up enjoying them and I think this could be one.

It does seem that it is hard to get the game now though as far as I can tell its not on any digital download service and the original game is pretty pricy now at least from the perspective of someone who just wants to try it out.

I mean I could torrent it but I dont like that idea is there any where I can legally aqquire this game without spending a lot of money? and if I do find the original game at a reasonable sum where would I go to make it run on modern systems?

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/mythseries You can go here and there is a link to direct you to obtain myth and all the other bits and pieces you may be interested in.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I haven't played any of the Myth games in ages, though I definitely remember them fondly, and my schedule is far too erratic to sign up for anything like this. Still I wish this event the best of luck, Myth is a fantastic series and it's nice to see it's still holding a small but dedicated community.

Wasn't there just recently a decent sized tournament for Age of Empires 2? Goes to show some games just stick around regardless of age.

If anything I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been any sort of spiritual successor or kickstarted retro game in the vein of Myth come out recently. It's not that obscure of a series, though it might be an older one for newer generations of gamers. If I recall this is the series a little developer known as Bungie first earned a name for themselves with before moving on to another vaguely popular series called Halo. Anyway smaller indie devs banking on nostalgia and resurrecting a previously abandoned type of game is all the rage right now.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
The Madman said:
To answer you question, most of the myth community are going to be transitioning to the game being awarded for the winners of this tournament, deadfall. Which I am actively participating in the Alpha stages in.

Secondly the problem that nobody else has re-invigorated myth is because of the legal copyright issues between Take II and Bungie, nobody is completly sure who actualy owns the rights in its entirety.

Also yes without this game there would have never been a Halo.