Mythbusters Fire Cannonball into Suburban Home

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
theultimateend said:
Adam Jensen said:
This is actually a pretty stupid show. From the moment they say what they're gonna test you can use your common sense to come to a correct conclusion if the myth will be busted or confirmed. Because their experiments are that dumb. And now look what they've done. Maybe it's a show for people who don't know anything about science.
I don't mind the criticism, but try not to act like you are some scholar with insight into science. That just makes it obnoxious.
He could be. I'm a scholar, I consider myself to have insights into science, and I have certainly been an obnoxious dick on these very forums when people were Failing Physics/Astronomy/Geology/Biology Forever. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

That said, I don't think he's watched enough of the show to know that some of the tests have truly surprising outcomes. Also, if he relies on common sense to make his conclusions, then the Mythbusters are better scientists than he is.

OT: Realizing you've just fired a cannon into a suburb has got to be the most horrible, gut-freezing feeling ever. Will probably give the whole crew nightmares for years to come. I'm glad no one was hurt, and that the insurance will cover the damages. May this make for better safety in the future.

Rotting Corpse

Aug 24, 2010
I live 25 minutes from that bomb range and I've actually been on it before. Not for any explosions mind you, just cause I was near there and wanted to see it.

I can't wait for this episode to air, as embarrassing as this is for discovery, that episode is going to bring in huge ratings.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
You got to give it to Discovery to come up with a new way to bring up their ratings. Tune in to a new Mythbuster next week to see what they'll do next...

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
I love the show and watch it every week. I hope this results in no ill happenings for the mythbusters. Surely an accident as they are almost always under the supervision of Sgt Nelson or Frank Doyle when they are at the Alameda county bomb range. There is no need for a law suit as some people had suggested. No one got hurt thankfully. Just have them pay for damages, apologize, and take extra safety precautions next time.

The show is very educational, and they do a lot of experiments and research no one else does. There is a lot to learn from these guys. It would be a tragedy to lose that over an accident like this.

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
DarthVella said:
Wow, it took them this long to have an explosion seriously misfire. That's an awesome record. I would give my legs and left arm for a chance to work with those guys.
But by that point you've already lost 3/4 of what you would have kept safe by joining them instead of amateurs! x3

darkbshadow

Nov 9, 2006
Mythbusters becoming Home Wreckers For SCIENCE!!

I just hope they have this in that episode. I want to see their reaction after it happens.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
On one hand, the cost of covering all that damage probably is pretty high. On the other, Mythbusters are a pretty sucessful show so they probably have some spending money to cover this. What amazes me is that something like this hasn't happened sooner... :p

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Kwil said:
Prediction: If this makes it to air, it'll be their highest rated Mythbuster show ever.

Secondary Prediction: In a board meeting, one of the Discovery execs will wonder if they can get away with doing it a second time.
I want to see them try to re-create it. Making a cannonball ascend a fucking staircase has got to be some kind of achievement.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Well considering how long the show has been on the air, and a cannon firing is far from the most dangerous thing they have done, it isn't shocking.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
MaxwellEdison said:
I'd probably build some monument around that wreckage. How many other people can give a tour of their home that includes "And this is the hole the Mythbusters made with a fucking cannon."
This
Adam Jensen said:
This is actually a pretty stupid show. From the moment they say what they're gonna test you can use your common sense to come to a correct conclusion if the myth will be busted or confirmed. Because their experiments are that dumb. And now look what they've done. Maybe it's a show for people who don't know anything about science.
Or maybe its a show for people who aren't all cranky and need a nap in the afternoon.
At least a quarter of the experiments are 50% scientific, and no matter what they put on the air, at least it's not Deadliest Warrior

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
Saltyk said:
I hate to say it, but it wouldn't wake me up either. I'd sleep like a baby through it. I once fell off my bed as a kid, my parents came in and put me back in bed, and woke up completely unaware that it ever happened. And that probably wasn't the worst case of my refusal to wake up. Still, I know people that are probably worse.

Anyway, hopefully this can all be resolved without screwing up the Myth Busters work. Repair the home, pay them some money for damages and such, and offer them some time on the show. Pretty sure that will prevent any major issues.
i had a whole fist fight happen right on top of me. got stepped on a few time and everything. wish i hadn't cuz the fight sounded awesome. oh well i guess that's my crowning moment of awesome

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Talk about rejecting reality and substituting your own...
As long as the insurance paid up to get the house fixed spic and span, all I would want in return is a copy of all the video they had showing the misfire, as well as a chance to press a button to make one of their infamous explosions happen.
Or...
MaxwellEdison said:
I'd probably build some monument around that wreckage. How many other people can give a tour of their home that includes "And this is the hole the Mythbusters made with a fucking cannon."
Have Adam and Jaimie inscribe-autograph the cannonball and mount it on a concrete pillar in front of the house. Maybe with Adam's hat and Jaimie's moustache drawn on the pillar for effect.
Beautiful End said:
I also heard the show was suspended but I don't know if it meant they were done recording the stunt or if the show was gonna stop being produced for a while or what.

Anyone knows what's that all about?
Probably standard legal procedure while they get the details sorted out. Even if the homeowners and the insurance company don't give any speedbumps, there's bound to be need to put things on hiatus.

Endocrom

Apr 6, 2009
Ah, so that's why it wasn't on tonight.

I'm sure they won't ever show it, just like they won't show the "Canibal mouse" footage and anything on RFID hackability [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X034R3yzDhw]

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Given that Grant tweeted they were working 'with heavy artillery', it probably didn't involve Jamie and Adam, just the build team. (Yes, they have worked together on things, but I'm still thinking J and A weren't there.)

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
What the hell were they doing with a loaded cannon in the middle of some suburbs? They must have been pretty close to the house if it managed to go up some stairs and still have enough momentum to smash through the wall and fly in to a car park!