Mythbusters: The end of an era...

Blaster

Apr 30, 2011
I finally got to watch the "season finale" of Mythbusters tonight and this happened:

http://www.inquisitr.com/1425668/mythbusters-cast-changes-leave-fans-heartbroken

I'm a huge fan of the series as a whole, and I can't help but wonder whats next for these guys. Will you miss the musketeers? Just wanted to get the thoughts of others on this development. Post your memories of your favorite myths, crazy stuff they did, or just your love for the gang.

Alas, there will always be Netflix.

P.S: Way to go Discovery :p

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I remember when they were testing ways to escape from a car that goes into water, so they dropped a car into a swimming pool. They decided the best thing to do was to wait until you hit bottom and the pressure equalised, and then open the door.

This was memorable because Top Gear pointed out that if your car goes into water, you've not guarantee that the water will be less than 6 ft deep like a swimming pool, and listening to Mtyhbusters will likely get you killed.

Oh, also when they water tortured Kari, and found out that it does work.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I can't read the link but yeah I heard that (as in Grant Tori and Carrie are leaving) did it mention why?

Blaster

Apr 30, 2011
Unfortunately there has been no reason given. I know that Savage and Hyneman, said that the series would "go back to its roots" and feature more of the building process and feature more of the creativity and science they do.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
To be honest id prefer an Adam and Jamie only show. I like Kari and I like Tory but I dont think they have anywhere near the knowledge or technical expertise of Jamie and Adam. Grant always seemed like the smartest of the trio but I always thought he spoke to the audience with quite a patronising tone which always put me off a little

The segments with the 3 of them was always just a filler for Adam and Jamie's big experiment

The show itself is great but sometimes I feel they havent tested thoroughly enough but then again its only an overview of how science works and they also only have an hour of screen time. Its good in that it teaches people not to simply believe what they hear and that these things can be tested. Which in its simplest form is what science is.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Don't mind this at all.

For the most part, I was never a fan of the second string trio, except for Kari. While Adam and Jamie always felt so sincere and energetic concerning what they were doing, the supporting cast always felt... off. Like they were acting.

I have to laugh a bit though. People seem to think Mythbusters is straight up firing these people at the last minute in one glorious dick move, while they undoubtedly knew about it months in advance, and probably got some neat money as a going away present, along with one hell of a resume to go back and do the job they actually spent years studying for.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
More Adam and Jamie isn't a problem for me. I didn't dislike the three musketeers but I was generally more interested in the other myths done by the main two characters of the show.

Face it, they're not in the gif!

Still, I wish them luck in their careers and while I'm indifferent to them leaving it is the end of something. I think their hangover myths were the most fun. Especially when they subjected themselves to the spinning chair of death.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
I actually haven't been watching much Mythbusters in the past few years but this might actually get me back into it. Nothing against the trio, I just prefer Adam and Jamie. I liked it when when we had the "build team" with Scotty instead of Grant (not a huge fan of Grant in general) but when they started getting their own segments I always found them a lot less interesting than Adam and Jamie.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
While I heavily dislike the out of sequence editing of the episodes (which was mostly the fault of cutting to the trio's work), I'm sad to see them go. Adam and Jamie do the main, big scale things usually and the trio do little things, and honestly I preferred watching them.

It's sad, but just because they're gone doesn't mean they'll always be gone.

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
Well, now I won't be massively surprised when I see this on the telly after waiting for it to arrive for 12-15 months.

This is a really bad idea. The show has benefited from the two very different cliques of Adam and Jaime, and the Junior Team. To get rid of them now, after so long...

I dunno. I'll give the show a shot, but with the enthusiasm all three brought to the show, it might not be the same.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
Mixed feelings once again.

I never disliked the trio, but I'd be a liar if I said they really brought anything to the show I felt was missing.

Still, I hope for the best for all of them. I might not have been their target audience but I respect what they were doing.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
I don't always watch Myth Busters
But when I do

it's to watch Adam get really enthusiastic about things he loves

Solve Media: what is your household income?

Me: None of your fucking business! Go back to unintelligible squiggles you nosy prick.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
That's... kinda disheartening. I've enjoyed watching all the members of the Mythbusters team, it'll be sad to see some of them go...

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I can't say I'm too sad, because I just started watching. Losing that girl has to be the biggest blow though. She brought a little eye candy but also contributed way more than that.

thaluikhain said:
I remember when they were testing ways to escape from a car that goes into water, so they dropped a car into a swimming pool. They decided the best thing to do was to wait until you hit bottom and the pressure equalised, and then open the door.

This was memorable because Top Gear pointed out that if your car goes into water, you've not guarantee that the water will be less than 6 ft deep like a swimming pool, and listening to Mtyhbusters will likely get you killed.

Funny, I've been Netflix bingewatching Mythbusters, and they point out that's one of the flaws of the experiment. It doesn't change the fact it's true though.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Awwwwwww. ;____;

I guess it had to happen eventually. It's baffling (and awesome) that the show is still alive eleven years later.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
Holy shit, dont scare me like that! My first thought was "oh no! It's relly happening, they are getting too old for this or something". Without Adam and Jamie it would not be the same, so good to hear it's only the trio that's leaving.

I've followed this show since they first started and taken notice of their development from being just two guys that jerry rigged whatever they needed in a crude way, to a whole crew that more or less just buys everything and blows it up at the end.
Also I've been wondering how long they will keep it up. There may be enough myths for years to come, but let's face it, they are not as young as they used to be.

My feelings about this is somewhat mixed. That little trio was alright I guess, but with the later seasons I've been missing the good old Mythbusters from way back when. While I have no doubts that Grant Tori and Carrie knows what they are doing, they tend to come off as "just for show". They did good, don't get me wrong, but it sometimes felt like a seperate show within the show. Adam and Jamie had their thing, and the trio something else.

In the end, it's Adam and Jamie that has the show, they have the experience and that special flare that just makes the show work and fun to watch (Adams reaction to the "truck drive through trafic episode" is just amazing). The sidekicks they have had tend to come off a bit cheesy and immature. Well, not Scotty, she was awesome.

If "Back to the roots" means what I think it does, I this will be a good change for the show.
Also, I don't think those three will be without work for long, maybe they already have their own show on it's way, who knows?

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Well, they will be missed. Grant was a true nerd, something to identify with. Tory acted a moron, intelligent one, and Kari brought her own subset of knowledge and female touch making a pleasant contrast to previous two.

Mind you, Adam and Jammie are enough to carry the show, but they will be missed.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I have always preferred the main duo of Jamie and Adam (I especially love Jamie), so I can't really say that I am all that broken up about it. It sounds like it is an amicable separation, and it might be good for the three musketeers to spread their wings and try new things away from Adam and Jamie.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
It's not that bad - Jamie is the best part of that show anyways.

Grant is my only concern. Dude is pretty damn smart and is probably making a robot at this moment to replace him.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
I lost interest in the show when they started focusing on the 3 new characters, who I didn't exactly dislike but didn't find interesting at all. This might be enough to get me to check it out again.

thaluikhain said:

Yeah their conclusions are obviously false sometimes.

It's been jeeze maybe about 10 years but 2 in particular stick out to me.

That one where they found a newspaper article from the 1920s or something that said people had died in a car and not been found for a long time. They tested the experiment with a new car and dead pigs and concluded it was a myth because "someone would have noticed the smell". Uh yeah if this happened in the 1910s or 1920s (don't remember which) it's entirely possible the people died in their car on a backwoods road (as I believe the newspaper said) and no one would have passed them for weeks. I don't see any reason the old newspaper would have lied about the incident anyway.

Remember that time they made an Ice Bullet to test the crazy conspiracy theory that one was used on JFK? They did that one twice and both times they froze the entire mold of the bullet, shell and all. There's NO WAY everyone filming that segment was that stupid/ignorant of how bullets work. It's like they did it intentionally to piss JFK conspiracy theorists off.

Mythbusters uses scientifically sound methodology? Myth: Busted!