Mythbusters: The end of an era...

AT God

Dec 24, 2008
I hope Netflix updates to add the episodes, last time I checked it was a very scarce selection.

Haven't watched the finale yet, definitely sad that the trio is gone but I hope that they all go on to do something similar because I enjoy watching them. Pretty sure the next season will still be great fun.

I still want them to test some more video game myths, specifically rocket jumping, just whether or not an RPG being fired at your feet while jumping would increase jump height, sure its not possible for a human but as a physics mechanic I think it would be interesting.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I don't actually like the musketeers, the two originals is where the entertainment was.

And hey, now they can easier focuse on the bigger myths than jumping back and forth. I hope.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Idsertian said:
Well, now I won't be massively surprised when I see this on the telly after waiting for it to arrive for 12-15 months.

This is a really bad idea. The show has benefited from the two very different cliques of Adam and Jaime, and the Junior Team. To get rid of them now, after so long...

I dunno. I'll give the show a shot, but with the enthusiasm all three brought to the show, it might not be the same.

I feel the exact same way. I don't feel like the show will be worse with them gone but...I dunno, it feels like it might feel like something's missing.

Ah well. We got plenty of seasons with them to remember them by.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I think I'd prefer if they ended Mythbusters altogether and Adam and Jamie did their own different show where they just build cool shit for the hell of it. I always prefered the episodes where everyone joined in on a single big myth or the ones where Adam and Jamie had a competition to see who could find a better way to achieve something, so maybe getting rid of the secondary team isn't so bad as long as they don't replace them with cheap imitations after one season without them.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Wait what? I thought MythBusters ended years ago. Is it online only now or something?

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Aww but Kari is hot.

So they really aren't going to have a b team and it's all just going to be Adam and Jamie from now on? Wouldn't the show become kind of boring?

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I haven't watched that many Mythbuster episodes, but I've mostly felt like they were kind of extraneous anyway. Adam and Jamie did the bigger, most intersting experiment, and then the B-team did something else to pad out the episode. If all five of them made experiments together it would be a different story, but I don't think I've ever seen Kari, Grant and Tory interact with Adam and Jamie at all. Always seemed kind of weird to me. (And the jumping back and forth between two myths was annoying as fuck.)

That said, I wish them good luck and hope to see them doing something cool soon.

CriticalMiss said:
I think I'd prefer if they ended Mythbusters altogether and Adam and Jamie did their own different show where they just build cool shit for the hell of it.
I remember Grant mentioning during Desert Bus that Adam and Jamie aren't exactly best buddies, so I'm pretty sure that once Mythbusters is done they'll most likely go their separate ways.

Blaster

Apr 30, 2011
Both Adam and Jamie have gone on record in a few interviews, stating that they ARE NOT friends, but do respect each other. And I gotta say; they manage to work pretty damn well together. At least on tv. Supposedly, the change was correlated to declining ratings this past season. Id been hoping that discovery would realize that shows about airplane repos and motorcycle club drama weren't what people want to see, but I guess they know better. There go my dreams of a second hour of Mythbusters...

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
I think I'd prefer if they ended Mythbusters altogether and Adam and Jamie did their own different show where they just build cool shit for the hell of it.
There's a series of youtube videos that show Adam's 'man cave' projects. These include his Comicon costumes, classic movies props, and how he recreates various things, like making his own Terminator chassis using the original specs, and completely recreating the weird gauntlet from Hellboy, which required him to dig through fuse guides from decades ago to find the proper models, and then trawl Radio Shacks from the 60s for the exact vacuum tubes.

Pretty cool stuff.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
thaluikhain said:
I remember when they were testing ways to escape from a car that goes into water, so they dropped a car into a swimming pool. They decided the best thing to do was to wait until you hit bottom and the pressure equalised, and then open the door.

This was memorable because Top Gear pointed out that if your car goes into water, you've not guarantee that the water will be less than 6 ft deep like a swimming pool, and listening to Mtyhbusters will likely get you killed.

Oh, also when they water tortured Kari, and found out that it does work.
There have been documented cases of people having survived their vehicles getting submerged BECAUSE of that Mythbusters episode. So, fuck Top Gear, they are wrong. Depth doesn't make a difference, really, as long as the car gets submerged. Unless the car sinks PHENOMENALLY fast, which they don't, the only way depth would matter is if you were unconscious, which... I mean, you're basically screwed anyway at that point. You should do some fact-checking before believing what someone else says.

On topic, sad to see them go. The fact that they are younger than the two mains meant they had more energy, more tolerance for hurting themselves (though Adam and Jamie do not lack in this regard, I admit), and more... relatability to younger viewers. Adam and Jamie are great and very entertaining, but it's nice to have a spread of various talents and personalities. But we'll see how this goes. I'm certainly not going to just drop the show over this. Adam and Jamie probably had little to do with it. I would have liked a better send-off though.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Blaster said:
Unfortunately there has been no reason given. I know that Savage and Hyneman, said that the series would "go back to its roots" and feature more of the building process and feature more of the creativity and science they do.
given the fact that it was all three of them at once I get the impression it wasn't a choice....still who knows

I never had a problem with the trio...it seems odd to just off them like that

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I'm certainly sad to hear the news, I really liked those three. They certainly added a different feel to the show. It will still be good without them, but I don't really see why they thought it was necessary (it's unlikely they all left at once voluntarily).

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
I won't miss them at all. Mostly boring show which went on for far too long. Consolidating it into a good short series with their very best pieces would have been watchable but physics is something so mundane I cannot take too much of it unless it is supremely interesting.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
This sounds good to me, because as the show was getting bigger this shit went from a semi technical show all the way down to clown town. With 80% content now being previews, explanations, repeated previews, repeated explanations, dramatic shots, talking about their feelings on what is happening,... just the fucking worse drama TV bullshit has been seeping into their show. No not just seeping in that shit was replacing the good content. They even started throwing in a fucking twitter scroll and random dubstep just to hammer in how low the producers will take it.

So I'm guessing Adam and Jamie wanted shit back to normal and the only way the network would allow it was with budget cuts.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I dunno, the triplets always felt a bit gimmicky to me. They felt like they were there for garnish and fluff, like Jamie and Adam were the A-Team and the others were the neighborhood kids on their bikes pretending to be the A-Team.