Namco's 'subtle' use of the female form for Soul Caliber V poster

TheLoveableMuffin

Jun 11, 2011
Namco Bandai have gotten round to releasing some posters advertising the new Soul Caliber V. They seem to be focused on a particular prominent feature. Can't quite put my finger on it...

I usually would think this is how they advertise Dead or Alive, not Soul Caliber, but what the hoo har. Soul Caliber ladies appear to have gotten more busty since the original, and Ivy is often considered a sex symbol in gaming, and well...sex sells doesn't it?

Source: Kotaku and 4gamer

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Heh. Is anyone else seeing a hint of areola there? Might as well cut to the chase and replace the jacket with a couple of thimbles.

But really, who cares at this point? It's Soul Caliber. It's a fighting game. It's stupid. It's not to be taken seriously, at least in visual terms. It gave up any pretence at respectability a long time ago. If they want to stick a pair of big, juicy fictional tits on the cover in the interests of getting attention and boosting sales then let 'em.

For better or worse, it's just the inevitable product a male-dominated, profit-driven industry. If nothing else, it's basically harmless.

Que remainder of this thread:
"Meh."
"Boobs, lololol!"
"How dare she have better breasts than me! *****."
"I disapprove of this terrible exploitation of the female body... notice what a nice guy I am, ladies?"
"I'm so disgusted that I'll only buy three copies."

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
It's Soul Caliber, are you really surprised? Have you seen some of the characters in the previous games? (Especially 4) Ivy was practically wearing nothing in that game.

At this point, it's just par for the course.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
There's an article on The Border House [http://borderhouseblog.com/?p=7432] about this today. As the author says, "File this game under my neverending list of games that I?m clearly not in the target market to buy."

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
I have one question: why?

We have Redtube, we have every single chan and booru site imaginable. We have rule 34 for Christ's sake all for free. Why in the high holy hell would someone buy this for the cover? What marketing ************ came up with this?

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
The wait is on for the nude edition. Oh yeah, Voldo....*shudders*. Maybe best if only the ladies go nude...GO SEXIST EDITION!

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
one poster isn't gonna make me rush out to buy a fighting game.

Let's wait and see how much jiggle there is in the actual game.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Ivy is an incredibly creepy character. Don't know why people would consider her and her chest tumors attractive.

joe-h2o

The name's Bond... Hydrogen Bond
Oct 23, 2011
I think this says "we got nuthin'" from the marketing department. It's not even original.

Sell the game on its strengths, not on boobs. Oh wait. I guess the gameplay is outstanding then... *eyeroll*

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
SOLD!

OT: Let me guy this straight . Guys like video games ( and some girls) , Guys like boobs( and some girls). Why exactly is this a bad idea? Hell they have an entire team devoted to breast physics. Why is this surprising? I have a suspicion that OP wanted an excuse to post boobs on this forum. And a mighty nice pair of boobs those are. O v O *drools*.

witheringsanity

Aug 25, 2009
i was gonna get the game anyway. soul calibur is one of the better fighting game franchises. never really cared for ivy, though. i wish they would make this the official box art though. it would be hilarious to have box art that looks like a hentai game actually be a fighting game. though they kinda already do that with JRPGS.