Name a feat of musical awesome-ness, that you have accomplished!

Blights

Feb 16, 2009
I want to see how many Escapists here are musicians, and how many are skilled musicians.
For example, I just learned Slither by Velvet Revolver on my guitar in about an hour and I'm feeling rather chuffed.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
I am so good at breaking things you don't even know. I even do it on accident.

For instance, I just broke a chest of drawers that belonged to my grandfather. SO SKILLED

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I'm afraid my musical talent is rather...well, nonexistent. But I see that you have used the word "chuffed" there, causing me to conclude that you are a British fellow. That is duly noted.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Blights said:
I want to see how many Escapists here are musicians, and how many are skilled musicians.
For example, I just learned Slither on my guitar in about an hour and I'm feeling rather chuffed.
Maybe you should post what song that is to show that it was an accomplishment, because I'm sure everyone will not know what song that is and by who, I sure don't.

As for me, I consider myself a skilled musician that has nothing to show for it. The main reason for this is because I never practice songs in their entirety. I learn maybe most of it but I never practice it enough to be able to play the whole damn thing.

Therefore by doing this I have become quite skilled in guitar by being able to play almost any rhythm guitar but I can't show it off because I don't have any good "show-off" riffs. I can't solo yet either, and I mean the real, fast, hard solos.

Blights

Feb 16, 2009
SantoUno said:
Blights said:
For example, I just learned Slither on my guitar in about an hour and I'm feeling rather chuffed.
Maybe you should post what song that is to show that it was an accomplishment, because I'm sure everyone will not know what song that is and by who, I sure don't.

As for me, I consider myself a skilled musician that has nothing to show for it. The main reason for this is because I never practice songs in their entirety. I learn maybe most of it but I never practice it enough to be able to play the whole damn thing.

Therefore by doing this I have become quite skilled in guitar by being able to play almost any rhythm guitar but I can't show it off because I don't have any good "show-off" riffs. I can't solo yet either, and I mean the real, fast, hard solos.
You're right, and I'm sorry. It has now been fix'd.

zen5887

Jan 31, 2008
I graduated from studying music last year. A good feeling indeed.

Playing live is also pretty much the greatest feeling I can imagine.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Not musical as such, but... what is the sound of one hand clapping?

I can tell you. By clapping with one hand. I sorta get my fingers to hit the base of my palm at a high speed, which can be repeated fairly quickly to clap along with any rhythm, potentially even using both hands (but separately). I have yet to meet anyone who can do this.

Sorta itches if you do it for too long, though.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I played the trumpet for a year, I wasn't very good but that's about the only musical thing I've done.

Well, I also sang Karaoke at my school's dance, I was one of the only ones who sang solo and I was considered to be the best.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Flight of the Bumblebees on Piano.

It's really hard... and your fingers start to hurt if you practice it too much.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I can play the entire album of the rage against machine on my guitar bar some of the of the solos because you need a killswich and I'm not prepared to mutilate my guitar for it

I also wrote this thread

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.198377-Music-Theory-The-basics-updated-V7#comment_form

I have performed in the royal Albert hall once with my tuba and 4 times in the Birmingham symphony hall

Jan 29, 2009
Learned the opening solo to Hey Jude for The Beatles Field Show (I was first year in Marching Band).
Well, it was an easy solo, but I had to learn it in 15 minutes for the Homecoming Game, cuz the guy who normally plays it (My section leader) was missing for some stupid reason. Anyways, 15 minutes later, I had it down, and played it awesome, much to everyone's surprise.
I've never felt more proud than that night.
FYI it's this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui-deduA38s
(Hey, it's actually us!)

drphil1234

Nov 9, 2009
I have been playing guitar, piano, and singing for years, but what is most interesting is that i taught myself how to beat box just about a year ago. I don't remember ever learning how, but suddenly I went to college and (to my surprise) people kept telling me that I was really good.

saxist01

Jun 4, 2009
I am the first foreign tenor saxophonist to play at the National Center of Performing Arts at Tian'anmen Square in Beijing. :)

I also played St. Patrick's Cathedral (Dublin) on St. Patrick's Day Eve. But . . . I don't remember much from that.

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
Singularly Datarific said:
Learned the opening solo to Hey Jude for The Beatles Field Show (I was first year in Marching Band).
Well, it was an easy solo, but I had to learn it in 15 minutes for the Homecoming Game, cuz the guy who normally plays it (My section leader) was missing for some stupid reason. Anyways, 15 minutes later, I had it down, and played it awesome, much to everyone's surprise.
I've never felt more proud than that night.
FYI it's this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui-deduA38s
(Hey, it's actually us!)
Sexy bassline <3

We're in a parade band (and we just got our first SCSBOA sweepstakes twice in a row :D), but I always wondered what it would be like to play competitive field shows.

Loved Hey Jude.